| BSB/SB ⚾ Miscues Lead to Baseball’s 4-3 Loss at UAB on Tuesday

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball travels to Birmingham on Tuesday evening for a midweek contest with UAB. The Crimson Tide and Blazers are scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT first pitch at Regions Field, home of the Double-A Birmingham Barons. The in-state pairing will air on the Crimson Tide Radio Sports Network and C-USA TV ($).

Follow the Tide​

Fans can follow the midweek via the below outlets:
Watch: C-USA TV ($)
Listen: 100.9 FM / CTSN / The Varsity App
Twitter: @AlabamaBSB
Live Stats: UABSports.com

Probable Starting Pitching Matchup​

TUESDAY: UAKade Woods (R-Fr., RHP) vs. UAB – Braxton Shelton (Fr., RHP)

A little surprised to see Kade Woods with the start, but I guess UA is going with a bullpen outing with numerous guys getting some work. Honestly, with the thin dept at SP right now, I'd have been more inclined to throw Jackson Reynolds (who ironically was a UAB weekend starter last year)... try to get at least 4 innings from him, then go with 4 or 5 bullpen arms. But, I don't recall Bohannon asking me. And it isn't a big deal either way really... I'd just like to see someone else get their pitch count stretched out in case they are needed on a Sunday and Reynolds has the experience. Kade Woods is another one of the high ceiling freshmen on the roster though... IMO, a future shutdown closer. A really promising young group of arms on the team right now.

Blazers win 4-3 in 11. Tommy Seidl had the big hit, a game tying solo HR in the 9th to help extend the game into extras. Andrew Pinckney had the big defensive play, gunning down the winning run at the plate in the 10th (he also added a HR of his own earlier). But overall, bad defense and some poor hitting led to Bama's downfall. It was the first midweek loss of the season for Alabama... next up, 3 game series at Missouri this weekend...

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama baseball suffered a 4-3 loss to UAB on Tuesday evening at Regions Field. The Crimson Tide is now 26-12 on the season.

Alabama gained a 2-0 advantage in the top of the third on a two-run homer from Andrew Pinckney. The Tide maintained that lead until the fifth when an error helped the Blazers even things up with a pair of runs, one of which was unearned. UAB then pulled ahead in the seventh when a second miscue led to an eventual sacrifice fly. Alabama was able to tie things up in the top of the ninth on a Tommy Seidl solo homer to send the game to extras. The tie was broken in the 11th when one more error allowed the winning run to cross for the Blazers.

Kade Woods posted a scoreless, hitless outing in his first career start. The redshirt freshman tossed 3.0 innings with a walk and a strikeout before turning it over to the bullpen. Hunter Furtado highlighted the relief effort, contributing 3.2 innings with four strikeouts and one unearned run. Zane Probst was last on the mound, suffering the hard-luck loss after allowing one unearned run in 0.2 an inning. UAB reliever Christian Clack (2-1) picked up the win with 1.0 scoreless frame.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"Kade Woods gave us an awesome start, he looked great. Hunter Furtado was outstanding out of the bullpen. We just gave too many at-bats away early and certainly did not play very good defense tonight."

Back
Top Bottom