| MBB/WBB LSU reinstates head coach Will Wade

TerryP

Staff
(I'll refrain from making a comment about the health of their program. :laugh: )

The representatives of Arizona coach Sean Miller and LSU coach Will Wade have received preliminary notifications that the two coaches will be subpoenaed for the April 22 federal corruption trial stemming from an FBI investigation into fraud in college basketball, Pat Forde, Pete Thamel and Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports report.

Both coaches are allegedly on a wiretap talking with Christian Dawkins, a former low-level agent who was found guilty of multiple federal fraud charges in the first basketball corruption trial in October. The impending subpoenas mean there is an increase in the likelihood that the tapes are played during the trial, according to Yahoo Sports.

Miller and Arizona have been among the most prominent entities mentioned regarding this case since the news first broke in September 2017. Former Wildcats assistant Emanuel "Book" Richardson was one of the four assistant coaches initially arrested in connection with the case, and he was fired by the school shortly after. Richardson has already pleaded guilty to federal bribery charges.

UC Santa Barbara coach Joe Pasternack, another former Arizona assistant, was portrayed by Dawkins in emails as a pipeline between the Wildcats and the agency that employed him ASM Sports.

In the aftermath of the initial arrests, an ESPN investigation accused Millerof discussing a $100,000 payment for 2018 No. 1 pick Deandre Ayton.
Wade was mentioned in the October trial when an attorney read a wiretap transcript between Wade and Dawkins discussing giving money to recruit Balsa Koprivica. Wade denied doing "business of any kind" with Dawkins at SEC media day.

The Wildcats are 16-12 on the season and tied for seventh in the Pac-12 at 7-8. The Tigers are in a three-way tie for first in the SEC at 12-2 and they are ranked No. 13 in the nation with a 22-5 overall record.

Wade, 36, is in his second season as the head coach at LSU and has the Tigers in first place in the SEC and projected to earn a No. 3 seed in the upcoming NCAA tournament. Wade hasn’t been under the level of scrutiny as Miller in relation to the scandal, but he did enter the crosshairs during the first federal trial in October. Wade’s name emerged as part of a conversation with Dawkins about a recruit named Balsa Koprivica. One of Adidas executive Jim Gatto’s attorneys read aloud a wiretap transcript where Wade and Dawkins were speaking about Koprivica. The attorney, Casey E. Donnelly, said that Wade and Dawkins were communicating to get him what he needs – “meaning money,” she said – in order to play at LSU.
Donnelly read the conversation this way:

“Would you want Balsa?” Dawkins asked.
“Oh, the big kid?” Wade responded.
Dawkins confirmed.
“OK, but there is other [expletive] involved in it,” Wade said. “Wait, I’ve got to shut the door … I can get you what you need, but it’s got to work.”

Wade went on to tell reporters at SEC media day in October that he has “never, ever done business of any kind with Christian Dawkins.” But there’s an expectation that Wade will appear on wiretaps talking about recruits other than Koprivica. Wade has had recruiting success that’s historically anomalous, including luring top players from Connecticut (Tremont Waters) and New Jersey (Naz Reid) to Baton Rouge.

LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette said Monday in a text that the school declined to comment. When Wade was asked about it during his weekly news conference, he said, “I’ve been focusing on the team and our guys. I haven’t been following it.”

Yahoo Sports reported in February of 2018 that Wade had drawn NCAA scrutiny for his recruiting at both VCU and LSU. LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said the school had “no contact” from the NCAA, which is not abnormal in the early stages of NCAA inquiries.

The potential of both coaches taking the stand would place both Arizona and LSU in uncomfortable positions. First off, the optics of having a sitting head coach testify in a federal trial are uncomfortable for schools. The options for the schools offer a distinct dichotomy.

The coaches may have done nothing and could testify to that. But the other options are more complicated. They include the coaches trying to quash the subpoena – an unlikely legal quest – or taking the fifth on the stand. Both of those options would potentially portray the coaches and schools as having something to hide. Or, the coach could end up testifying to actions that amount to NCAA rules violations, which could give the schools the right to fire them for cause.

So far, LSU’s administration has appeared supportive of Wade. But the timing of a subpoena to appear in federal court while the Tigers are preparing for their first NCAA tournament bid since 2015 presents a problematic twist to the season.

Wade has had recruiting success that’s historically anomalous, including luring top players from Connecticut (Tremont Waters) and New Jersey (Naz Reid) to Baton Rouge.

Yahoo Sports reported in February of 2018 that Wade had drawn NCAA scrutiny for his recruiting at both VCU and LSU. LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said the school had “no contact” from the NCAA, which is not abnormal in the early stages of NCAA inquiries.

That first line sounds a lot like what we've just witnessed with Hugh Freeze: "historically anomalous."

I'm calling BS on this one:

When Wade was asked about it during his weekly news conference, he said, “I’ve been focusing on the team and our guys. I haven’t been following it.”

Your name comes up in a Federal trial on a wiretap. Coaches in the same case are falling by the wayside left and right. Literally, the repercussions on this case could very well put Wade in the unemployment line. And, that's not mentioning the fact there could be bribery charges.

BUT, "I haven't been following it?!?!?!"

💩

(I'll refrain from making a comment about the health of their program. :laugh: )
We were told there were a few programs in better shape than Bama. Just how true is that with Auburn and LSU both involved with these Federal trials.

Is their basketball team playing better than Bama? Yes for LSU. We'll see about Auburn. The health of their programs? It is about like saying "I'm healthy as a horse" following your latest Prednisolone injection.

If due diligence is done, meaning everyone gets what they have coming in this FBI/Addidas sting this should go long and wide and deep. Pearl among the lot, even bluebloods like coach K and Bill Self have been doing business with the sneaker company.

FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone calls between LSU coach Will Wade and aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins, in which Wade expressed frustration about his inability to close what he described as a "strong-ass offer" for a recruit, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Yahoo Sports first reported details about the contents of one of the telephone calls on Thursday.

"I was thinking last night on this Smart thing," Wade told Dawkins during one of the calls. "I'll be honest with you, I'm [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I'm just [expletive] sick of dealing with the s---. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.

"Dude," Wade continued during the call, "I went to [the handler] with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

"The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now. It was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."

"It was a [expletive] hell of a [expletive] offer," Wade continued. "Hell of an offer. ... Especially for a kid who is going to be a two- or three-year kid."

I'm wondering what their AD is left with for options. Well, not so much options. It's more a curiosity on how he'll react.

On one had we have the Joe Alleva who jumped far too quickly when he was at Duke with their LaCrosse story. On the other hand we have the Joe Alleva that couldn't make a decision with the LSU Les Miles retention/dismissal.

Juat a few months ago we had a quick discussion about championship banners when a basketball reporter, albeit tongue in cheek, made the snarky remark about how temporary the banners would be following the 2018-19 season. Title vacated before celebrated.

I'm wondering what their AD is left with for options. Well, not so much options. It's more a curiosity on how he'll react.

On one had we have the Joe Alleva who jumped far too quickly when he was at Duke with their LaCrosse story. On the other hand we have the Joe Alleva that couldn't make a decision with the LSU Les Miles retention/dismissal.

Juat a few months ago we had a quick discussion about championship banners when a basketball reporter, albeit tongue in cheek, made the snarky remark about how temporary the banners would be following the 2018-19 season. Title vacated before celebrated.

I don't think Alleva has any options. This is law enforcement at it's finest and they are grinding this guys reputation to a pulp before our eyes by leaking this evidence. As it stands the AD hasn't gotten through his first statement and interview as of yet. That should be entertaining. I'm hoping today.

On a personal note, Wade mentioned he was paying Smart around the rookie NBA minimum, which is over 800,000. I would love to know just how much money LSU has invested for those 5*s and the rest of the team. Wouldn't it be cool if we actually got to the bagman this time around?

Wouldn't it be cool if we actually got to the bagman this time around?
I don't know if you recall. I vaguely do.

Back in Dale Brown's day there were stories about players being paid. I was left with the impression it was a guilty dog barking story when a lot of the attention Brown received off the court was about player compensation. I can't recall the players name, Leon maybe, that Brown was caught up with though never directly implicated. It finally whittled its way down to a booster paying $5000 for the player. Mid 80's, now when I'm guessing the average income was 16-18K.

That culture has existed within that program.

What strikes me as note worth is some of the venom I'm seeing from people associated with other conferences. I've seen comparisons to Freeze without the religious pageantry.

We're seeing the bag men exposed through the FBI.

I expect to see lines drawn in some of the media circles. One guy pointing, with the disdain of an over zealous prosecutor, to what he dislikes and another crying about what he sees as the social injustice of it all.

Is it too soon for a free Wade billboard campaign?

I don't know if you recall. I vaguely do.

Back in Dale Brown's day there were stories about players being paid. I was left with the impression it was a guilty dog barking story when a lot of the attention Brown received off the court was about player compensation. I can't recall the players name, Leon maybe, that Brown was caught up with though never directly implicated. It finally whittled its way down to a booster paying $5000 for the player. Mid 80's, now when I'm guessing the average income was 16-18K.

That culture has existed within that program.

What strikes me as note worth is some of the venom I'm seeing from people associated with other conferences. I've seen comparisons to Freeze without the religious pageantry.

We're seeing the bag men exposed through the FBI.

I expect to see lines drawn in some of the media circles. One guy pointing, with the disdain of an over zealous prosecutor, to what he dislikes and another crying about what he sees as the social injustice of it all.

Is it too soon for a free Wade billboard campaign?

This time the big business part of college basketball gets exposed to the world. Dawkins and Addidas are nothing less than agents for amateurs and I do hope the justice system saves a little for these guys. Not sure why I doubt that. Anyway, should be a fun day.

xG4AB8S.jpg

The Athletic: It’s time for LSU to sit Will Wade

You knew it wouldn't be long before the mouth of the south chimes in also:

Clay Travis: I'll be stunned if Will Wade coaches another game at LSU

Back
Top Bottom