| FTBL LSU Players can't understand why fans hate Saban

HiTide

Verified Member
http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/DK/20071029/SPORTS/710290305/-1/STATE01
Not everyone with LSU believes Saban is devil
By Glenn Guilbeau
Louisiana Gannett News
gguilbeau@gannett.com

BATON ROUGE -- His nickname is Satan. He was born on Halloween. And he wears red now.

But not all close to LSU think former LSU coach Nick Saban is the devil.

In one of the most hotly anticipated games of the season, No. 3 LSU (7-1) plays at No. 17 Alabama (6-2) at 4 p.m. Saturday on CBS with the Southeastern Conference West on the line. Both teams are 4-1 in the SEC.

The game also marks the first time Saban will coach against LSU, which he coached from 2000-04 and took to two SEC championships and a share of a national championship before becoming coach of the Miami Dolphins for 2005-06.
LSU coach Les Miles was complimentary of Saban when he replaced him, but he has had little to say about him since Saban went to Alabama last January. The two battled on the recruiting trail last winter, particularly in Mobile, Ala., and in West Monroe, and Miles called out Saban by association when he said LSU has a new rival in "f-ing Alabama" to thunderous approval at the Bayou Bash recruiting party.

Saban drew the ire of LSU fans when he jokingly told a "coon-ass" joke on the day he was hired at Alabama on Jan. 4 and pointed out after being asked about his recruiting that many of the LSU players that destroyed Notre Dame 41-14 the night before in the Sugar Bowl were signed by him.

Saban has praised the job Miles has done at LSU. Miles has not publicly said anything derogatory about Saban, but he often visibly tightens when asked about him. Defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, who took over the unit Saban took to national prominence, never praised Saban from the moment he came to LSU and has criticized coaches, like Saban, who run complicated and voluminous attacks that can require a lot of thinking from players.

Others in the LSU athletic department have ripped Saban, but they do not want to be quoted. Charles Hanagrif, who is close to the athletic department as sports director of LSU flagship station Eagle 98.1-FM and who hosts numerous call-in radio shows, is not a Saban fan.

"Nick rubs a lot of people the wrong way," Hanagrif said. "I never had a problem with him when he was here. My problem stems from the condescending way he left the Dolphins. He belittled everyone that questioned him while he was considering going to Alabama, which he did. He denied it so vigorously and vociferously. I had a problem with that.

"The fact that he went to Alabama is the swing for the fans. Had he gone to another school - if there was an opening -- it might be different. But he's at Alabama, which LSU sees as a rival. And they hate him. The fans can't stand this guy. They're looking to this game for blood."

Fans like Warren Doussan of Pass Christian, Miss.

"He's a snake in the grass," Doussan said. "And I'll say that to his face. I want us to beat Alabama bad."

Ya'el Lofton, coordinator of football operations and secretary to LSU coaches going back to Archer, keeps in touch with Saban and other former LSU coaches.

"He was very good to work for," she said before the season. "So is coach Miles. Both of them are very good at not letting a loss get to them here in the office. I enjoyed working for Nick and I enjoy working for Les. I think the fans get carried away sometimes."

LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson has heard the fans.

"I can understand why they don't like him," said Jackson, who signed with Saban in 2004. "I mean, he's at Alabama now. But we as players don't hold any grudges. When the fans are talking about him, I don't defend him. I just sit back and listen.

"It's funny. But I don't have anything bad to say about coach Saban. He's a great coach, but coach Miles is a great coach, too."

Cornerback Chevis Jackson met with Saban every day in the 2004 season when he was a freshman.

"He practically was the secondary coach, and he taught me a lot when he was here and I'm thankful for it," Jackson said. "I really don't get into all that. I don't know why they hate him. They probably liked him when he was here. He left. He made that decision. He's at Alabama now, and you know we've got a game to play."

LSU senior associate athletic director Verge Ausberry, a former LSU linebacker from New Iberia, doesn't understand the fans' hateful mentality.

"I don't care what those people say," Ausberry said. "Nick was our coach and he put LSU back in the national spotlight. And Les has picked it up from there and made it continue on. I have a lot of respect for Nick and what he did for our program. We were losing for about 10 years before he came here."

Ausberry played at LSU from 1986-89 under coach Bill Arnsparger and Mike Archer and was part of SEC championship teams in 1986 and 1988.

"We hadn't won an SEC championship since I played before Nick got here," Ausberry said. "I don't understand the fans. Steve Spurrier (former national champion Florida coach) did about the same thing as Nick.

"He left Florida went to the NFL and came back to South Carolina. Florida doesn't hate him and he went to that school and won the Heisman there. He left, but he's in their ring of honor there."

Things might be different for Spurrier at Florida, though, had he gone to Florida State or Miami to coach.

"But I don't think anybody close to LSU should hate Nick Saban," Ausberry said. "We wouldn't be where we are today without Nick Saban. And that's not knock on Les at all. Les is doing great, but it was a build-up by Nick. This program was down for 10 years."

Do not get the wrong idea, though. Ausberry wants Saban to lose Saturday just as much as any Saban-hating LSU fan.

"Right now Les Miles is my guy," Ausberry said. "And I want him to beat Nick's butt."

"The fact that he went to Alabama is the swing for the fans. Had he gone to another school - if there was an opening -- it might be different. But he's at Alabama, which LSU sees as a rival. And they hate him. The fans can't stand this guy. They're looking to this game for blood."

That's the thing. We at LSU see you at Alabama as a big rival. We don't have an instate blood rival like Auburn. But here in the SEC West we have Alabama. So Nick could have gone anywhere else, but noooo.

Personally, I always liked Saban--his idea of keeping in mind the "process" and not just setting a goal, the way he toys with the media with his turtle-neck clad sarcasm.

Things might be different for Spurrier at Florida, though, had he gone to Florida State or Miami to coach.

Exactly...

parrotdr said:

That's the thing. We at LSU see you at Alabama as a big rival. We don't have an instate blood rival like Auburn. But here in the SEC West we have Alabama. So Nick could have gone anywhere else, but noooo.

Personally, I always liked Saban--his idea of keeping in mind the "process" and not just setting a goal, the way he toys with the media with his turtle-neck clad sarcasm.

Exactly...

Honestly though, how many LSU fans would admit to this:

"Nick was our coach and he put LSU back in the national spotlight......I have a lot of respect for Nick and what he did for our program. We were losing for about 10 years before he came here."

Most of you all seem to have very short memories....it's almost as if "LSU made Saban" rather than the truth, "Saban made LSU"

See, this is what really grinds my gears... If we played UGA every year, LSU would be lucky to be 4th on our rival list. Every damn team we play seems to think we are their rival!

The part about the LSU not having a true rival rings the loudest in all of this.

They want a rival so bad they can't stand it. They tried with Auburn and the cigar thing a few years back. Now they'll try to "force" a hated rivalry with Alabama.

I say let those guys create and worry about all the hype surrounding the game. If we just focus and practice like we did the week of Tennessee we could be in a good position to win this game.

Why don't y'all Tigers see if you can work something up with Arkansas or something? Our rival slots are all taken.

No Bama fan considers LSU a rival. That title is reserved for UT and the Barn.

Ever thought about Ole' Miss or Miss St? Hey, they are close by. Surely they would make a nice little rival for you guys!

:D

I like being everyone's "rival"! There is a reason everyone still hates us. No one in the SEC wants BAMA back at full strength and they know it. They love when we are down and love to hurl insults our direction. They even make fun of a legend of the college game that is no longer with us, Coach Bryant. I mean, I understand that people didn't like Coach Bryant because he was a winner but some of the things I have seen and read this week from LSU fans are in the poorest taste since Florida fans were making fun of Prothro's injury.

We have our share of fans that act classless but I am learning that certain other fan bases are just plain tastless to the point that it freaks you out they even bother to procreate.

Let them all call us their rival. It just means that even though they spew garbage from their mouth, deep down inside they respect the Alabama Crimson Tide.

It's official I now hate LSU!
I hate Mo-lester miles!
I hate purple and gold or yellow!
I hate all coon-asses!
I hate that toilet bowl shaped town!
I hate the saints and Archie Manning!
I hate Dewey Long!
I hate your crooked ass politics!
I hate Charlie Mac!
I hate arnsburger!
I hate Paul Deitzel!
I hate Billy Cannon!
I hate your crooked ass cops!
And most of all I hate LSU fans are you happy now!
I hope we beat your ass bad! RTR! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saban drew the ire of LSU fans when he jokingly told a "coon-ass" joke on the day he was hired at Alabama on Jan. 4 and pointed out after being asked about his recruiting that many of the LSU players that destroyed Notre Dame 41-14 the night before in the Sugar Bowl were signed by him.

How hard would it have been to include all the facts in this line? 8 little words "...joking told a coon-ass jokingly to a reporter in private, off the record..."

Hmmm...and the LSU fan I talked to on the airplane talked about how much hate his former players had for him and how they had a "little surprise" planned for "little Nicky". :roll:

Yeah, just as I thought.

The line that jumps out to me is the one about how he left Miami. But, it's never mentioned that when Miles was asked if he was leaving OSU he vociferously denied it. But, then took the job at LSU.

Never do they mention that he had been throwing his name in the hat for jobs for years.

bamarooski said:
It's official I now hate LSU!
I hate Mo-lester miles!
I hate purple and gold or yellow!
I hate all coon-asses!
I hate that toilet bowl shaped town!
I hate the saints and Archie Manning!
I hate Dewey Long!
I hate your crooked ass politics!
I hate Charlie Mac!
I hate arnsburger!
I hate Paul Deitzel!
I hate Billy Cannon!
I hate your crooked ass cops!
And most of all I hate LSU fans are you happy now!
I hope we beat your ass bad! RTR! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would you mind giving me a run down of how you really feel? :)

LSWho will never be our rival. I couldn't care less about them every year we play them. Never, not even once, have I ever thought at the beginning of the season, "if we just beat LSWHO, the season won't be a total loss..." I do, however, think to myself EVERY year, "if we just beat Aubarn and UThug, the season will be successful..."

The only thing I ever remember about LSWho is that we used to beat them every year, and Shawn Alexander almost ran for 300 yards against them. That's it, nothing about "Wait until next year, we'll get you then..." They're forgetable, and will be forgotten again after this year!!!

Roll Tide!!!

This pretty well sums it up.

Attention a portion of the LSU fan base: GROW UP!!

In past history, LSU was always a win for Bama. When you feel like the red-headed step child for years, it is easy to feel disrespected..overlooked.

Now that LSU is a national power, Bama is on their "must-do" list to prove their image. Auburn has a similar mentality...always a bridesmate to BAMA.... Very subconscious don't you think?

I don't consider LSU to be a "rival." To be honest, I laughed when I read that comment that they considered us to be a rival...everyone does.

Everyone wants to be mentioned in the same breath with us...it justifies their existence. LSU is a flash in the pan. They are not a traditional power and will return to mediocrity soon enough. I put LSU in the same boat with Oklahoma State, Oregon, and Syracuse. They can be good, but they are not a good program. They definately have horrible fans. Those folks don't know the meaning of "act like you have been there before" because they haven't. We will return to power soon enough.

The universe is balancing and the Earth will be back on its axis soon. Then it will not matter what LSU considers us. We will just consider them an automatic 'W'

Back
Top Bottom