| FTBL Learn to live with penalties....

They’re Baked into DeBoer Ball

This is an interesting article & VERY thorough. I was surprised from the source.

Now, I am not trying to flame Deboer. Perhaps, he can get this addressed. And frankly I have PTSD from the Shula Era of poor OL play/penalties.

However, I am earmarking this observation:

"Last year, the most successful for UW in a decade, was also its most penalized. UW was flagged 7.5 times a game (125th), lost nearly 70 yards per game (127th), surrendered over 1000 yards of field position — only New Mexico State was worse."

DeBoer has to get this addressed. It will not suffice in the SEC.

It's absolutely a valid concern. This was my comment on it late Saturday night...

Penalty issues were one of the (very few) concerns that came with DeBoer from Washington. A good coaching staff should be able to fix those things... Overall, this a good staff, but they are going to have to focus on it a bit more.

The good news... A good staff can usually stomp out penalty issues with a focus on it, and overall, this Bama staff is really good (especially on the defensive side). Also, if we breakdown the penalties, we see that 3 were committed by a guy that will be running with the 2nd team (barrng more injury issues) in VanDeMark (1 false start and 2 holds). Formby had a rough game obviously and will improve, but he likely lost his spot at RT Saturday night (we told folks the battle would go a few games into the season and it has). He accounted for 3 of the flags, all holding. Overall, the sheer number of penalties is still very concerning, and having 2 false starts on the home field is inexcusable. But, a decent chunk of the issues are about to be headed to the bench. On the other side of the ball, Domani Jackson was called for 2 holds in coverage... again, not ideal, but those guys are going to get flagged some as they grow up. I can assure folks that those DB's are well coached though and in time, that is going to be a really, really good group.

After reflection I change my biggest complaint to what I have highlighted in these stats. That is simply pathetic and unacceptable.

View attachment 28824
It is something we need to address, fast. But we did hold Nayquan Wright to just 64 yards. Did the same thing last year as well. We just could not contain Brown at times, and ripped off a couple of big runs. Guys not reading their keys correctly, overrunning their run fits and playing out of position at times. Lawson had a nice game overall, but I distinctly remember at one point in the game where they ran another one of those option plays, Lawson played his assignment perfectly, got him into open space, and whiffed on the tackle. Slightly over ran the play by playing it outside in, instead of inside out. Work him to the sidelines, he likely wouldn't of beat Lawson on that play haf he played it that way.

It's absolutely a valid concern. This was my comment on it late Saturday night...

..... But, a decent chunk of the issues are about to be headed to the bench. On the other side of the ball, Domani Jackson was called for 2 holds in coverage... again, not ideal, but those guys are going to get flagged some as they grow up. I can assure folks that those DB's are well coached though and in time, that is going to be a really, really good group.

This is the saving grace of the current situation, coupled with the point that others have made with USF being a very experienced DL Vs our first year starters. . . . . IMHO, CKD took too long to correct this issue. Despite Pritchett being hurt, he needed to make an appearance after halftime.

Side note: How long are we still having to deal with 5th Year Senior PLUS some Vs other teams. Didn't we determine that last of the COVID year extensions will be gone by 2026? This issue is like a hidden personel advantage for teams that typically don't loose their LOS players after 3 years. Young men are still buidling into their frame by age 25/26 & there have been some clear advantages that some teams have with these 6 & 7 year seniors. UM's team from last year case in point.

Penalties. Ok.
What i saw was oline men that were slow and had to hold.
Poor plays called where ...everyone could see blitzer. And qb still dropped back

Those are correctable. Except oline being slow. That was "Shula-ist) kept calling plays that wete doomed for failure

I watched game live ...not any tv ...got directv ...so wasnt recorded...assholds

Have Directv. All Disney black.... dvr is black when recording.....
Maybe could go to youtube n watch. Havent tried... @rueben put it on.
Thanks to him...

Anyway. I was just going with what i saw live.

I understood that a couple of long passes where receivers were wide open. They had freshman corners on them.
I believe that is an EA sports NCAA video game simulation. Usually someone will put the full game on YTTV by today or tomorrow. I looked yesterday and couldn't find it. Caught the CKD show and his after game PC though.

You can watch them live and recorded on YouTube. You don’t need YouTube tv or an account with them. I just go to YouTube.com and search it and watch live. At least until Disney gets done screwing everybody..
You just have to put up with a few commercials right in the middle of a play. I think there was 3 or 4 of those

Back
Top Bottom