| FTBL Kirby Smart press conference 8/9/2015 (with highlights)

10:39: Smart: "We did not have the kind of season we're used to standard-wise [last year]." Said last year's defense was the worst in terms of accomplishing goals of any of his defenses at Alabama.

10:40: Smart said Reuben Foster put on some good weight during the summer.

10:43: Smart said Mel Tucker has been great for players as well as for him and coach Saban.

10:45: Smart said replacing the experience at safety is possibly his biggest concern defensively.

10:47: Smart referred to Dillon Lee as "a man of many positions."

10:47: Smart said he regularly reaches out to opposing non-conference coaches to get feedback on his defense.

10:49: Smart said the rise of spread offenses has changed the way Alabama recruits.

10:49: Smart said Da'Shawn Hand has "come a long way." "He's gotten better and better."

10:50: Smart referred to sophomore inside linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton as one of the smartest players he's ever coached.

Continue reading...

So pumped up about the potential for this defense! If our secondary improves ( which I think they do), this defense will be outstanding. Our front seven is the best in the country, just need our secondary to do their share. One reason I think they improve is because of Eddie and Geno at safety. With them both being former corners , they will be an upgrade in coverage over collins, and perry/williams. Different story in run support though. Then add in a year of experience for brown, cj, and Humphrey. Plus adding freshmen 5 star depth in Harrison, Sheffield, and Fitzpatrick who have all received praise. All of this believes me to think our secondary will be much improved. Oh, and Mel Tucker also. This defense could be really special!

Back
Top Bottom