| FTBL Kirby Smart: 2021 season was Nick Saban’s best coaching job

sk33tr

el jefe
Coach Smart gave some praise to Coach Saban and the team, this morning.

“Really probably one of the best jobs he’s ever done with his team, because they were really young at some positions,” Smart said. “And I think they’ve got the best player in college football in Bryce Young, and I saw it firsthand on the field in the SEC championship.”

Full story, here.

I can't really remember a team improving as quickly as Alabama did post Iron Bowl. And had UA had the benefit of staying relatively healthy, that could have been on full display last night.

The only other team that comes to mind that improved so vastly at the end of the year was that tOSU team that knocked of Alabama in the semis and went on to win the title. But other than that, this group really came on strong the last 3 games... Just unfortunate to not have at least 1 of those receivers and/or another running back in the mix. But hey - Lessons always learned... And the lesson here is to get guys experience when possible... Never know how much depth is needed until the time comes!

I can't really remember a team improving as quickly as Alabama did post Iron Bowl. And had UA had the benefit of staying relatively healthy, that could have been on full display last night.

The only other team that comes to mind that improved so vastly at the end of the year was that tOSU team that knocked of Alabama in the semis and went on to win the title. But other than that, this group really came on strong the last 3 games... Just unfortunate to not have at least 1 of those receivers and/or another running back in the mix. But hey - Lessons always learned... And the lesson here is to get guys experience when possible... Never know how much depth is needed until the time comes!

This is where I felt we needed Leary, Hall, and Brooks needed more time during the season. Baker was nowhere to be found. Those guys are gonna be good, but will need that experience to get there.

Just think Bama had the lead and then were only one score away from tying the game up until the pick six even with the make shift offense against the greatest team Georgia has ever had.

This is where I felt we needed Leary, Hall, and Brooks needed more time during the season. Baker was nowhere to be found. Those guys are gonna be good, but will need that experience to get there.

Some blame here goes on the staff, but as a whole, that young group did a poor job most of the year preparing to play. When it became clear after the SECCG that they were going to be needed, more attention was paid... but that's a little late to be flipping the switch. A completely different approach from the trio of Ruggs, Smith, and Jeudy.

As for the original post/article, it is nice to see Kirby acknowledge Saban a bit more now that he finally beat him. He certainly owes him a lot. Without Saban, he's probably the DB coach at Valdosta State and eating at Red Lobster on special occasions.

Some blame here goes on the staff, but as a whole, that young group did a poor job most of the year preparing to play. When it became clear after the SECCG that they were going to be needed, more attention was paid... but that's a little late to be flipping the switch. A completely different approach from the trio of Ruggs, Smith, and Jeudy.

As for the original post/article, it is nice to see Kirby acknowledge Saban a bit more now that he finally beat him. He certainly owes him a lot. Without Saban, he's probably the DB coach at Valdosta State and eating at Red Lobster on special occasions.
I would like to be able to eat at red lobster on special occasions. I’m below that at the moment.

Hey Brandon, VSU was in the National Championship game for division II. They have won it multiple times. I am an alumni from there. Just Saying:cool:

But…. I’m glad he’s theirs and Saban’s ours. Kirby’s remarks on TV after the game that some property torn up in Indianapolis tonight is about as classy as uGA has always been…

I know he’s happy the monkeys off his back… but that was a bit of a tasteless comment.

But…. I’m glad he’s theirs and Saban’s ours. Kirby’s remarks on TV after the game that some property was going to get destroyed at Lucas Oil Stadium is about as classy as uGA has always been…

I know he’s happy the monkeys off his back… but that was a bit of a tasteless comment.

He was referencing Larry Munson from 1980 after the Lindsey Scott call against Florida. Just to rile his fans. I don't like Kirby, but there was nothing classless or ill about what he was trying to say.

He was referencing Larry Munson from 1980 after the Lindsey Scott call against Florida. Just to rile his fans. I don't like Kirby, but there was nothing classless or ill about what he was trying to say.
That may be… but it was not a smart thing to say on national tv for him now or Munson then. It’s an attitude uGA and their fans have always had and one I’ve always hated.

As an example… throwing shit on the field last night on a call they didn’t like.

Last edited:
As for the original post/article, it is nice to see Kirby acknowledge Saban a bit more now that he finally beat him. He certainly owes him a lot.
My level of respect fell some more following his comments.

He's just like that neighbor whose dog is shitting by your mailbox every morning but makes it a point to tell you how good your lawn looks. He can compliment Saban all he'd like but it doesn't excuse the crap he's said the last few years.

Some blame here goes on the staff, but as a whole, that young group did a poor job most of the year preparing to play

While I agree, CNS is still in charge of everything. I know he is the goat, and if I knew my ass from a hole in the ground, I would be down there making 10 million a year............having said that.

Just like we talked in previous posts about his NFL mindset when it comes to kickers and practice and having a punter or other player hold for the PK vs a back up QB.

I feel there are a lot of times that Saban plays our starters too long. Especially in recent years with the amount of injuries we have.

We didn't have any injuries late this year with a game in hand.....my point is, playing time and more meaningful snaps for the younger guys. I know early in the season we are working on timing and continuity, ect. I would just like to see guys rotated in sooner so they can play when it counts. I think that will make it easier for everyone involved. Players will be more focused in practice, because they know their number we be called sooner, rather than later, and I'm sure it would make the position coaches job easier, because he will have a player that is more focused and teachable because of the scenario of playing time.

My level of respect fell some more following his comments.

He's just like that neighbor whose dog is shitting by your mailbox every morning but makes it a point to tell you how good your lawn looks. He can compliment Saban all he'd like but it doesn't excuse the crap he's said the last few years.

I feel the only reason he said that was because he won. He wouldn't have said it otherwise in my opinion. Monkey was off his back, so he was elated and couldn't say anything but nice things about everything.

Back
Top Bottom