| FTBL JPW not seeing open WRs last night

G

Now before anyone starts, this is NOT a bash thread against JPW. I'm very proud of him as our QB and what he has transformed into over the years. I will hate to see him go.

That being said....

What happened early on last night? Specifically in the first half more than the second half? There were a few times where the camera angle would show behind the QB and you could see open WRs ands TEs in the seams yet JPW seemed to have target fixation. Some times he would not even pick up an open receiver on the short wide open pass only to give up a chance to throw a 15+ yarder in tight coverage. Other times he seemed to have one of his old bad habits arise and that's his happy feet. Something we haven't seen pop back up this season to date but it showed its rear last night. Looking into his eyes before the game and during the game, it seemed he didn't seem as focused as other games. I doubt he was looking ahead but it seemed as though he was not in sync for much of the game last night with connecting with the open WRs.

Yes I understand when you get rushed out of the pocket but there were times when he looked confused by MSUs D mand thought they would rush more only to bring 3 guys in. Our Oline last night was not up to par with prior games. But that's football so it should be expected. But even when flushed out, JPW didn't seem to check down on his reads. There were quite a good bit of passes he could of made yet he decided it was best to try and run or scramble for his life when really I didn't see the need to (open WRs).

Maybe it was the cold and windy conditions? Maybe it was just "one of those games"? Maybe he is mentally drained still for the LSU game? I don't know. I sure don't want to sound like I'm complaining about his performance. I'm just looking for some ocnversation of him last night and if anyone else was seeing the same things I were.

I'll say it again, this is NOT a bash JPW thread. I'm not even talking negatively about him. It's just that something seemed to be eerily reminiscent of his freshman and soph. years as our veteran QB.

Let's discuss in a objective yet respectful manner on his performance last night. Thoughts?

I thought he was dropping back further than he usually does instead of settling in the pocket...the outside pressure seemed to force him to move around (or run) more than we've seen this year.

He may have been trying to win the game on his own because of his perfomances the past two MSU games. Not a good habit to get back into. That's a mistake he needs to correct immediately.

He's got playmakers round him to help.

It's because the recievers weren't making theselves stay open long enough.The O-line looked kindaa strange last night too but they got the job done!

Number1TideFan19 said:
It's because the recievers weren't making theselves stay open long enough.

Good point. Which makes me think back again to last night. There were times last night when they would be open but for too long. By the time JPW checked down to them, MSU would see his reads and run back to the open WR. Sometimes it took too long for the play to develop. A few of Julios catches were good examples. I saw him run his route, cut back hard to get open, only to have to wait longer than needed for JPW to get the pass to him. Then JJ would have to fight off the catch which could of otherwise been an easy 5+ extra yards without any defenders drapped around his body. Then again JJ has no problems knocking folks off him :D

BAMA JAMMA said:
Number1TideFan19 said:
It's because the recievers weren't making theselves stay open long enough.

Good point. Which makes me think back again to last night. There were times last night when they would be open but for too long. By the time JPW checked down to them, MSU would see his reads and run back to the open WR. Sometimes it took too long for the play to develop. A few of Julios catches were good examples. I saw him run his route, cut back hard to get open, only to have to wait longer than needed for JPW to get the pass to him. Then JJ would have to fight off the catch which could of otherwise been an easy 5+ extra yards without any defenders drapped around his body. Then again JJ has no problems knocking folks off him :D

:lol: Well its going to be interesting come DEC.6

There were several "issues" last night, but I'll give JPW lots of credit for finding Brad Smelley near midfield in what I think was the 4th Q and Julio on the TD drive.

BamaDelta said:
There were several "issues" last night, but I'll give JPW lots of credit for finding Brad Smelley near midfield in what I think was the 4th Q and Julio on the TD drive.

:wink:

Well said Delta.

BamaDelta said:

Yep. Also, I'll give him credit for not forcing anything, like he would have done in the last couple of years, and leading to at least 1 INT. He also chose to run for whatever yards he could get, even if it was just 1 or 2, then throw the ball away a couple of times.

Porter said:
BamaDelta said:

Yep. Also, I'll give him credit for not forcing anything, like he would have done in the last couple of years, and leading to at least 1 INT. He also chose to run for whatever yards he could get, even if it was just 1 or 2, then throw the ball away a couple of times.

I was very proud of him and the WHole Tide team last night!

I apologize for sounding obvious but some folks need to be remineded, it's a heck of alot different spotting open receivers from the stands than it is on the field where there are giant defensive linemen coming at the QB full speed, obstructing one's vision, and trying to deliver some ball jarring tackles.

bear facts said:
I apologize for sounding obvious but some folks need to be remineded, it's a heck of alot different spotting open receivers from the stands than it is on the field where there are giant defensive linemen coming at the QB full speed, obstructing one's vision, and trying to deliver some ball jarring tackles.

^*() It's offcial! Bear facts makes the most sense on this site!

bear facts said:

What? No way! :shock:

Seriously though I understand all of that. I played ball thru school. However I think after JPW watches the film he will see many opportunities he could of hit last night. There were several times in the game where our Oline failed and its completely understandable to have to scramble. There were other times though where the pressure was not nearly as much as he anticipated and did not make good reads. Call it what you want, but that's what happened on a couple of occasions last night. That's all I was trying to discuss. I don't need to be reminded of anything about the differences of playing the game on the field versus being the armchair coach. I'm just a fan trying to analyze the team.

I wished I had Tivo or DVR.

Just watch the replay of the game again tonight. You might change your mind. I know their D is physical but if you watch the replay you'll see it.

bear facts said:

You said what I was thinking.

I love the "He's WIDE OPEN" screams from behind me in the stands. Must be nice sitting there sipping your ice cold coca cola watching everything unfold with such clear vision while you sit on your backside. :roll:

eyes only one

If you watch JPW his head does not move off the intended receiver. JPW has to watch the speed of his target. JPW has done this since his days at Hoover High, its just part of his game.

Back
Top Bottom