| FTBL Jimmy Barnes speaks

It sounds like Barnes was very sheltered in his football career, playing first for his dad, then for Shula. Saban is not the only coach who drives his players hard in practice and demands a lot of them both on and off the field. Toughness shold not be confused with abusive treatment. Regardless of what he actually said, IMO it boils down to PT. Barnes would have served himself better by just quietly transferring to another school and not whining to the media.

psychojoe said:
It sounds like Barnes was very sheltered in his football career, playing first for his dad, then for Shula. Saban is not the only coach who drives his players hard in practice and demands a lot of them both on and off the field. Toughness shold not be confused with abusive treatment. Regardless of what he actually said, IMO it boils down to PT. Barnes would have served himself better by just quietly transferring to another school and not whining to the media.

The only comment I'll make is at least Barnes wasn't spotted crying on the practice field. Everyone knows there's no crying in football.

Unless you're Dick Vermeil.

First let me point out that it isn't Jimmy Barnes whining to the media. It's his Dad.

With that said, I agree with the rest of you. If he can't take it he needed to go. Football is a tough sport, and you have to be tough to play it (read the quote in my signature).

If what John Barnes said is true of why Jimmy left, I wonder if Jimmy Barnes has a nose bleed every 28 days.

crybaby.jpg

Football is tough. Especially at the college and Pro levels where coaches are dealing with "adults". They won't coddle players like they do at the lower levels and cursing sprees that would make a sailor blush have always been part of the game at the higher levels.

Like someone else said, it sounds like maybe Jimmy (or his father) thought that Shula's touchy, feely approach was the norm. I'd wager that playing for one of the other is like night and day. There's no comparison.

So basically the dad does not like they way Saban coaches and went to the media to say that they are out of there?

Sounds a bit like Arkansas...

I wish Jimmy all the best going to another school, maybe he will get his shot,unless his dad interferes.

bama4life said:
So basically the dad does not like they way Saban coaches and went to the media to say that they are out of there?

Sounds a bit like Arkansas...

I wish Jimmy all the best going to another school, maybe he will get his shot,unless his dad interferes.

I don't think it rises to that level. There was never any indication of mid-season tampering by a parent. The Dad seemed surprised when Barnes made the decision to transfer. As far as his statements are concerned, I think Dad's gotten a call from a reporter, and answered a few questions. He declined to elaborate. He also added at how disappointed they were that he was leaving Alabama.

The reporter was digging for the controversy.

RTR,

Tim

In my opinion, Barnes' dad is trying to take advantage of the current anti-Saban atmosphere, maybe to get something... I don't know :roll:

I don't understand his words, they're ridiculous, and I don't think Saban is treating badly his kids, it doesn't have any common sense because he has just started the job in this programm, and this type of problems, only could affect his future recruitment... and against Saban's own interests too. I think Saban is enough smart in this issues...

But, this is only my own opinion...

RTR

well espn has a story on it already. :roll: and its funny that the dignity comment is in bold letters in the article. just another time where espn is jumping on us and of course they're spinning the story against us. this is getting old.

;flame espn!

Anybody that doesn't espect a coach to talk harsh to his players has never played football. A coach doesn't say "please" or ask you nicely to go to the next drill.

Jimmy Barnes is Ridiculous! His frickin problem is that his daddy sheltered him his entire high school career. Shula prolly did the same thing seeins how he Loves his quarterbacks and all. and now, when he finally gets a big boy coach, he can't cut it. Who needs him? Good riddens... Wuss

When he transferred schools, everyone respected his wishes and wished him the best of luck wherever he goes. Once he realized that no one gives a rats - about him leavin, he makes up some story about Saban abusin him. Buncha panises in my opinion...

THIS IS FOOTBALL!! Anyone who has ever played organized football knows that practices suck. My coach in high school used to grab me by the facemask and scream as loud as he could in my face. Afterwards, I had to wipe off the dip and spit that he sprayed in my face. This is what all coaches do, they intimidate and put you through hell to see what you are made of. Coach Bryant was asked about his tough practices in his first year back at Bama as a head coach, and he said: "My plan was to bleed 'em and gut 'em because I didn't want any well-wishers hanging around." As stated about coach Bryant by Bobby Drake Keith "What he wanted to see was a kid fight, to hang in there, to take what he dished out and come back for more. He wanted to see who wanted that uniform the most." Obviously Jimmy didn't want it enough.

Sauce said:
THIS IS FOOTBALL!! Anyone who has ever played organized football knows that practices suck. My coach in high school used to grab me by the facemask and scream as loud as he could in my face. Afterwards, I had to wipe off the dip and spit that he sprayed in my face. This is what all coaches do, they intimidate and put you through hell to see what you are made of. Coach Bryant was asked about his tough practices in his first year back at Bama as a head coach, and he said: "My plan was to bleed 'em and gut 'em because I didn't want any well-wishers hanging around." As stated about coach Bryant by Bobby Drake Keith "What he wanted to see was a kid fight, to hang in there, to take what he dished out and come back for more. He wanted to see who wanted that uniform the most."

Thank U!!!!
Jeez Barnes need to grow some balls

Sauce said:
THIS IS FOOTBALL!! Anyone who has ever played organized football knows that practices suck. My coach in high school used to grab me by the facemask and scream as loud as he could in my face. Afterwards, I had to wipe off the dip and spit that he sprayed in my face. This is what all coaches do, they intimidate and put you through hell to see what you are made of. Coach Bryant was asked about his tough practices in his first year back at Bama as a head coach, and he said: "My plan was to bleed 'em and gut 'em because I didn't want any well-wishers hanging around." As stated about coach Bryant by Bobby Drake Keith "What he wanted to see was a kid fight, to hang in there, to take what he dished out and come back for more. He wanted to see who wanted that uniform the most."

All coaches don't do that, no matter how much you think they do. I do think there is a little reaching by the reporter here as well. Let's all cool our engines a little bit and lay off. The Barnes (Jimmy especially) loved the University and loved Tuscaloosa. Obviously, there was a reason why Jimmy left. Whether it was PT (I personally liked his style, obviously a lot of people fell in the other group - mainly because of mobility issues) or that he didn't like the new style of CNS is not really a reason for you guys to bash him.

Then again, we still have people who bash XCMS and obviously have some kind of personal vendetta against him, so whatcha gonna do?

Outlaw said:
Sauce said:

All coaches don't do that, no matter how much you think they do. I do think there is a little reaching by the reporter here as well. Let's all cool our engines a little bit and lay off. The Barnes (Jimmy especially) loved the University and loved Tuscaloosa. Obviously, there was a reason why Jimmy left. Whether it was PT (I personally liked his style, obviously a lot of people fell in the other group - mainly because of mobility issues) or that he didn't like the new style of CNS is not really a reason for you guys to bash him.

Then again, we still have people who bash XCMS and obviously have some kind of personal vendetta against him, so whatcha gonna do?

It's more common at the college and Pro level though to have a coach like that. Luckily I played for a pretty good one in HS, though I knew people that had coaches that put them through He** at their schools.

No, Outlaw, not all head coaches do that. I guarantee you, though, that for all the laid back, soft spoken head coaches there is a coordinator behind them ready to fill those shoes.

Jimmy is not in the environment now that he was recruited to originally, and I think, he, you and I can all see that he was going to be buried on the depth chart. Saban was being diplomatic when he said that, due to the injury, he hadn't evaluated Jimmy. He wouldn't be playing, and, like me and a lot of other people, he doesn't look like the kinda guy that likes to work out. He could start, and be successful, at a I-AA or small Division I school. We should wish him the best and not rip him publicly. His Dad is obviously disappointed and the press is more than happy to make this into a bigger deal than it is. It sounds like the Barnes consider (or considered) themselves to be part of the Alabama family and I wish him the best. I hope he wins a I-AA N.C. somewhere and gives a Roll Tide when he lifts the trophy.

Back
Top Bottom