| FTBL Inventing traditions: Iowa tries, and wins bigger than any kid running a TD in spring ball ...

TerryP

Staff
... or a blind snapper...or, a dad/mom who's been overseas and shows up unexpectedly.

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The coolest thing that happened Saturday at Kinnick Stadium had nothing to do with football.

At the end of the first quarter of Iowa's 24-3 win over Wyoming, the near sell-out crowd tilted their heads up and waved in unison at the new University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital built directly next to the stadium.

Why?

The hospital's top floor features the Press Box Cafe, a rotunda of sorts with floor-to-ceiling windows that provide a perfect view of Hawkeye games. And during every Iowa home game, patients and their parents will pack the cafe and watch their Hawkeyes from one of the tallest vantage points in Iowa City.

now THAT'S how you do an experience for those that can't actually be there.

i mean it's cool enough having the hospital that close to the stadium where the can go and watch the game live. but to get the fans inside the stadium involved and wave to them? that's pretty cool.

That's a nice one. Bet the kids who are old enough to know love it
Quite a few years ago I was fortunate enough to have some time to spend with the employees, parents, and kids at St. Jude in Memphis. It just another of a few life changing experiences that still have me spending quite a bit of time, etc., with the Ronald McDonald house here in town.

My thoughts when I saw this?

Even if it's only for a minute, that's a nice respite for the parents.

Back
Top Bottom