| FTBL Interesting read on Saban’s frustration with the 2013 team.

Davestwin

In another thread, several of us mentioned our frustrations with how the 2016 season ended. Though when I saw this headline my eye began twitching uncontrollably (a la Chief Inspector Dreyfus) as intentionally blocked thoughts deep in the recesses of my old brain concerning that 2013 team came exploding up to the surface. If selective dementia was a possibility I’d gladly take it for that time period. Someone would mention kick six and I’d yawn.

I recall having a bad feeling about the 2013 team early on in the season. Something just felt off. And it wasn't the wild game against aTm. I actually felt pretty good after that game, as the final score was misleading, thanks to some cosmetic points tacked on late by aTm. A few weeks later against Colorado State was where I started to feel like something was off.

I recall having a bad feeling about the 2013 team early on in the season. Something just felt off. And it wasn't the wild game against aTm. I actually felt pretty good after that game, as the final score was misleading, thanks to some cosmetic points tacked on late by aTm. A few weeks later against Colorado State was where I started to feel like something was off.
Don’t understand that....that team was chewing up competition....and was much better than AU......AJ was in control....had them clicking

I remember that he rubbed lot of players wrong way... team were divided on him..

McCarron? He was the leader of that team by far from what I recall. I do feel he got a little arrogant at the end, but he worked his way to that position and the team trusted him, as did Saban. Did I miss something about the team being divided on him?

McCarron? He was the leader of that team by far from what I recall. I do feel he got a little arrogant at the end, but he worked his way to that position and the team trusted him, as did Saban. Did I miss something about the team being divided on him?
I don’t remember it...AJ was definately the team leader...
His stocked dropped in draft by some rumors...

The 2013 Bama team was the best team in college football that year. That defense was solid, and the offense was solid as well. After seeing the Barn outplay FSU for 3 quarters in the BCS NC, I think Alabama could've laid the smack down on the Seminoles in that game.

I equate the 2013 team to Bobby Bowden's 1991 FSU team. FSU that year steam rolled everyone in their path, lost a heartbreaker to Miami because of a missed field goal, and came out flat against Florida in the Swamp. They finished 11-2, but their two loses really diminished what a great team FSU was that year.

The 2013 Alabama team marked the end of Saban's initial style of teams at Alabama. Saban recognized that the rule changes and no huddle spread offenses would simply bypass any advantage his powerful 3-4 defenses typically had. He saw the writing on the wall, and wasted no time modernizing Alabama in the mid 2010s.

My favorite memory that year was outlasting Texas A&M in Kyle Field. Good god it felt like that game lasted forever, and I sweated my ass off for the entire game. I remember being annoyed after that game because the media would not shut up about Johnny Manziel's performance (and he was excellent in that game don't get me wrong), and no one talked about how great AJ did in that game. IMO that was AJ's finest performance as a QB.

With proper respect to The Bear, that right there is why Saban is the best to ever coach the game. He doesn't try the same thing for very long without figuring out why it isn't working anymore and adjusting things.
The Bear changed also maybe not as fast as Saban but he did from the 60's to the 70's. He changed as fast as he needed to based on the game at the time. I really am not trying to make this a Bear versus Saban thing just making that point, It is just awesome as Bama fans we have had the two best to ever coach the game. Even more so for my generation that actually lived through both eras.

With proper respect to The Bear, that right there is why Saban is the best to ever coach the game. He doesn't try the same thing for very long without figuring out why it isn't working anymore and adjusting things.
Yep. Bear changed @mando
From pro style ....6-5 last year....to wishbone....played for a NC in 71....
Bear is a legend....Saban is greatest CF coach ever....way i see it and put it...

Yep. Bear changed @mando
From pro style ....6-5 last year....to wishbone....played for a NC in 71....
Bear is a legend....Saban is greatest CF coach ever....way i see it and put it...
I was born in 1964 so I did not get to see the pro style Bear teams. I knew that was what they ran just from reading and consuming Bama football over the years. I do however very much remember the wishbone years. Great times to grow up as a Bama fan much like the current run for the younger Bama fans.

I was born in 1964 so I did not get to see the pro style Bear teams. I knew that was what they ran just from reading and consuming Bama football over the years. I do however very much remember the wishbone years. Great times to grow up as a Bama fan much like the current run for the younger Bama fans.

What i called "pro style" was 68-70....maybe wrong term! But with Hunter...threw the ball a lot...and not real successfully

Not really...lol. Have to survive the stinkers.
We won 20-7. No offensive touchdowns. One special teams and one defensive TD. But, then again, stinkers come with the territory. The win over LSU was their best game of the year. The thing that got them against auburn was giving up the TD as the 1st half concluded. They had gone up 7-0 on their first drive, but then we took control and were up 21-7 and that place had gone mouse pissing on cotton quiet. But, at 21-14, suddenly, they came back to life and started to believe again. Then the offsides on the FG attempts that easily would have iced it. Little things kept popping up to keep those goat humpers in the game

Back
Top Bottom