| NEWS In case you've missed it, you'll want to pay attention to the B1G's media rights negotiations.

TerryP

Staff
Specifically, with CBS. Their new deal (B1G) would start in 2023 which is also the last season of the current contract CBS has with the SEC.

CBS is all about that afternoon window and I don't see how the network could handle both conferences in 2023.

This could lead to us seeing SEC football's move to the ESPN family a year earlier than expected.

Having one less interested party could impact the SEC's take, correct?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The SEC's contract with ESPN is pretty much set as far as I know (even with provisions for additional teams.)

I've seen a few reports suggesting ESPN is "backing out" of the negotiations for B1G football. It led me to wonder why. Is there a chance we see ESPN grab SEC football a year early and end up getting it for little to nothing? The B1G, if they have a contract with CBS, will want 3:30.

I’m interested in how this affects Notre Dame. With NBC buying into Big 10, what’s ND bringing to their table that can compete on-network for time? Does ND bite the bullet and join up with Big 10 now that network money pushes for it? All that independence talk flying right out the window with big tv deals start throwing around absurd cash.

I’m interested in how this affects Notre Dame. With NBC buying into Big 10, what’s ND bringing to their table that can compete on-network for time? Does ND bite the bullet and join up with Big 10 now that network money pushes for it? All that independence talk flying right out the window with big tv deals start throwing around absurd cash.
The current ND TV contract ends in 2025. They’re currently being paid ~$22 million by NBC on a backloaded contract. The ACC paid them $10.8 million as a partial member. They want a minimum of $75 million to go elsewhere. ND would owe the ACC $100 million if they leave before 2036.

This deal will push the mega-power conferences concept further and faster down the road. There will be the SEC and the B1G and everyone else scrambling to get in one or the other of them. If the two mega-power conferences stop at 18 teams then we might esee another mega-less power(full) conference take shape. Perhaps it’s the ACC that becomes the A/PC (Atlantic to Pacific Conference) by going coast to coast to pick up the “best” remaining teams in the little 12 and pacifist 12 conferences … along with ND. In any event, much of what I love about college football will be lost.

Does anybody know if the TV contracts have a clause to increase payouts due to conference expansion? The Big10 adds a huge market with USC/UCLA. The SEC would add big markets with Texas, Oklahoma and possibly Miami.

Consider you're trading those guys with McDonough, Blackledge, McShay,and Molly McGrath. More primetime games for the SEC with Fowler/Davis and Herbie. Their third team is probably Tess and McElroy.

I like all of those teams too. CBS is about all I know. Before them it was Franklin and Gottfried, and boy, as I kid did I love listening to those two on Saturday nights. Keith Jackson was always my favorite as a young young kid, but then it was Franklin and Gottfried, and then the CBS crew for a while. I can't complain about any of them, and if you throw those crews you mentioned, I'm still happy.

Back
Top Bottom