| FTBL I'm not one to bitch about officiating...

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
... Especially when your offense scores 49 points and your leaky sieve of a defense still allows UcheaT to outscore us.

HOWEVER,

There were some pretty egregious calls or non-calls yesterday that favored our opponent.

It was pointed out yesterday that the top 3 statistically best pass rushers in college football (Anderson, mainly) were blocked cleanly all day without a single holding call. That is a head scratcher for sure.

But these 2 were glaring, and at key moments of the game. Rember the short-yardage TD run that was called back for a hold?

Take a close look at the first image of that play, pre-snap. A "when you see it" moment.

The next 2 images are different angles of the same play. Egregious... FLAGRANT PI, WITH a face mask no less.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665958670698.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665958670698.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 49
  • FB_IMG_1665958682287.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665958682287.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1665958687300.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665958687300.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 43
... Especially when your offense scores 49 points and your leaky sieve of a defense still allows UcheaT to outscore us.

HOWEVER,

There were some pretty egregious calls or non-calls yesterday that favored our opponent.

It was pointed out yesterday that the top 3 statistically best pass rushers in college football (Anderson, mainly) were blocked cleanly all day without a single holding call. That is a head scratcher for sure.

But these 2 were glaring, and at key moments of the game. Rember the short-yardage TD run that was called back for a hold?

Take a close look at the first image of that play, pre-snap. A "when you see it" moment.

The next 2 images are different angles of the same play. Egregious... FLAGRANT PI, WITH a face mask no less.
I know it sounds stupid but it looked from the get go like they were after our azz from the kickoff

I don't recall that crew.

I get it SLO and it was frustrating to watch but there were enough things done in this game that we can control that we have to fix in practice. This is not the first game that we have played sloppy and got called for double digit penalties. That has to get fixed. Some of that is still judgment like the pass interference and holding calls but when you are the standard you have to play in a way to not give them a reason to pull that flag.

I still want to see how many of those flags we were able to overcome.

Here is hoping we get to play them again in Atlanta. We have a lot of work to do and I honestly expect Georgia to beat them because they will not get 17 penalties called on them.

17 to 6!!! A lot of those 17 were legit, while others were so ticky tack. The ones that really got me were the hits on Bryce that were legit “targeting” and were by definition textbook, yet no call. How about the “forward progress stopped” on the fumble recovery by Branch or Moore? The last PI call still chaps my ass! Let’s see what happens and then if it hurts Tennessee, we will throw a flag.

I am absolutely one to bitch about officiating. Especially when it was that obvious.....so many times. And right in front of officials, too.
The no-call on the PI should've been called when the defender grabbed our guy's arm. But if that didn't brink out the flag, the facemask should have. Yet neither was called. And both were so blatant that I, sitting at home watching on TV, saw both of them when they happened, in real time, at full speed.

And I'll go ahead and say it. I think those officials got a little something extra for their efforts; or lack, thereof, as it were. And I honestly think that if the head of officiating for the SEC does every see these recordings, they ALL need to be fired, IMMEDIATELY, and banned from officiating in this conference., for ANY sport, ever again.

17 to 6!!! A lot of those 17 were legit, while others were so ticky tack. The ones that really got me were the hits on Bryce that were legit “targeting” and were by definition textbook, yet no call. How about the “forward progress stopped” on the fumble recovery by Branch or Moore? The last PI call still chaps my ass! Let’s see what happens and then if it hurts Tennessee, we will throw a flag.
These 3 changed the game....
But Will hits FG.....and doesnt matter...
We play some base cover ...not 30 yards back.. in last 17 seconds might not matter
We run clock to Wills FG...probably wouldnt matter

Some games...you just gonna lose...I remember lsu fans complaining about officiating vs bama a lot....

But...how do you not get the helmet to face mask hit on QB...review it...and not have a targeting... not penalty( i know theycant review for a penalty other than targeting). But damn...you gotta protect the QB

Last edited:
I get it SLO and it was frustrating to watch but there were enough things done in this game that we can control that we have to fix in practice. This is not the first game that we have played sloppy and got called for double digit penalties. That has to get fixed. Some of that is still judgment like the pass interference and holding calls but when you are the standard you have to play in a way to not give them a reason to pull that flag.

I still want to see how many of those flags we were able to overcome.

Here is hoping we get to play them again in Atlanta. We have a lot of work to do and I honestly expect Georgia to beat them because they will not get 17 penalties called on them.

Was defiantly a hot mess with bad calls... however, penalties have been an issue all season long with our without the ref's help. It has to clean up on our side for sure.

As for Atlanta, we have to make it that far first and see who we play. This team could easily be sitting with 4 losses right now instead of 1. UTexas was miraculous win, aTm was a survival on the last play, Arky could have easily gone a different direction for sure. Looking at those games, I don't know how well we do with Miss State and Ole Miss... I'm sure LSU and Auburn QBs will have their game of a century vs us too...

When this team plays clean, it's pretty much a dominant team. But the odds of us playing clean have been pretty poor... bad calls aside.

Let's hope the Loss wakes this team up. I would have thought the prior near losses would have done it, but don't seem to have had much impact.

Last edited:

HOWEVER,

Yeah, you never want to blame officiating, but in this case it impacted the game significantly. For me it starts with 17 flags on us and only 6 on them. I don't want to complain if the officials are calling ticky tack penalties, but it MUST be even for both teams. The naysayers will point out how ridiculous it is to think there is a big "conspiracy" or something. But it has nothing to do with that. It could very well be simply that they are more focused on us because of Bama fatigue or something... who knows, but it happens in the pros as well. Some teams and some players just get away with more stuff.

Those calls that you mentioned were really bad. For me, the one that outraged me the most was that last PI call against us with the flag coming in wayyyyy late and then the long deliberation, etc. That seemed really egregious to me and never mind the fact that a tipped ball is supposed to negate PI anyway. That play gave them the game.

Now... I do think it's odd that Tennessee ordered new goal posts apparently just a week or so before the game AND they had that spectacular (and expensive) fireworks display all ready to go as well. Hmmm...

There's a lot more than just these. I honestly don't have the time or patience anymore to dissect the game tape, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama doesn't send quite a few plays into the SEC officiating office to be reviewed after this one.
Off the top of my head I can remember at least one other terrible no-call.

UTs 2nd touchdown to Hyatt - I think Oatis was in, someone in the middle knifed through two linemen and had a free line to the QB, the guard on the play reached out and lassoed him around the waist to hold him back. Literally got the ball off a step earlier than his arrival...if he wasn't held. That pass either sails into an INT or Incomplete or the sack gets home and UT is way behind the sticks.

UTs rushing touchdown - Ruled on the field in favor of UT. Interesting that ALL reviewed plays were ruled on the field in favor of them, then reviewed later. Even the fumble from Gibbs was ruled in favor despite how obvious it was that the ground caused the fumble. If the play hadn't been obvious though, imagine that turnover standing.

EDIT: Just remembered another one I was ticked on. 3rd and goal situation that led to our FG we threw to two crossing receivers over the middle. Both of them were interfered with on the play and were unable to make plays on the ball, in the end zone. Not sure how neither player was flagged for arriving 2 seconds before the ball but man those were fairly obvious. Even turned the receiver completely around.

Last edited:
There are 22 players and 7 officials on the field in CFB. Simple rounding math tells you that is 1 official for every 3 players. How in the hell do they miss anything!?

There are 22 players and ONE official on the field in all of soccer. I don't even need to know any math to determine that is 1 official for 22 players. How the hell does he see even half of what happens!?

With all of that said, IMO, soccer officiating anywhere is better than SEC officiating.

What happened at ut was as crooked as Eric Gregg in the 1997 NLCS when any pitch caught by the Marlins catcher was called a strike against the Braves. I didn't think anything could ever top that.

They say money is the root of all evil. There is too much money flying around in CFB now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom