| FTBL Illegal receiving of textbooks?

bamafan4ever said:
CHESNUTT said:
The best I can tell is they received free books for classes they do not take. Then they must have sold or given them to other students. That's the take I have on it.

Pure speculation.

I've heard it started with an investigation into another sports team and lead the investigation to the players involved. I've also heard the same story about getting books for classes, then selling them back for cash.

If that is the case I would think that all they'll have to do is repay the money.

I've heard about it happening at other schools but I can't remember how it was resolved.

I had a talk with my son about this . He says probably what happened was they got the books for class and didnt give them back as they were suppose to. Then they sold the books which isn't exactly the right thing to do. He also said it's no big deal either.

TerryP said:
bamafan4ever said:
CHESNUTT said:
The best I can tell is they received free books for classes they do not take. Then they must have sold or given them to other students. That's the take I have on it.

Pure speculation.

I've heard it started with an investigation into another sports team and lead the investigation to the players involved. I've also heard the same story about getting books for classes, then selling them back for cash.

If that is the case I would think that all they'll have to do is repay the money.

I've heard about it happening at other schools but I can't remember how it was resolved.

Georgia Tech?

Yikes! :shock: :shock: :shock:

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia freshman guard Corey Gibbs was suspended for nine games Friday for making more than $500 from selling textbooks and school supplies, a violation of NCAA rules.

Gibbs will be eligible to play Dec. 30, when the Bulldogs face Pittsburgh. A knee injury kept him from practicing full time in the preseason.

"This is a shame because Corey has missed most of the past year of competition and has been working so hard to get back on the court," new Georgia coach Dennis Felton said. "Now, his poor judgment and mistake in behavior are only further delaying his opportunity to compete."

Gibbs was the only recruit signed by former coach Jim Harrick who decided to come to Georgia.

Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press

NCAA Punishes Arizona State U. for Improper Benefits to Players
By BRAD WOLVERTON

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has placed Arizona State University on probation for two years after finding that a university compliance officer helped a football player receive more than $1,990 in improper benefits, including excessive financial aid and cash from selling textbooks that did not belong to him.

During its investigation, the NCAA also discovered that 61 other Arizona State athletes had unknowingly received excessive financial aid because of problems with the university's computer systems.

The violations, announced at a news conference this month, led the NCAA's Division I Committee on Infractions to conclude that Arizona State had demonstrated a lack of institutional control over its athletics program by improperly disbursing financial aid and failing to monitor its textbook-return practices, said Gene A. Marsh, chairman of the committee and a law professor at the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa.

Ball State Put On Probation for 2 years for NCAA Violations
The infractions involved 89 athletes in 10 sports
Oct. 16, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The NCAA put Ball State on probation for two years and cut three football scholarships because of misuse by athletes of a textbook loan program.

The penalties announced Tuesday by the Division I Committee on Infractions also included a reduction of money available for men's tennis scholarships and a restriction on the number of hours per week allowed for softball practice.

The infractions involved 89 athletes in 10 sports from the spring semester of 2003 to the end of the 2004-05 school year. A separate investigation is ongoing involving former men's basketball coach Ronny Thompson, who resigned in July amid accusations that he and his assistants broke NCAA rules by attending voluntary offseason workouts in 2006 and 2007 and lying about their involvement.

The unidentified athletes in the textbook investigation obtained $26,944 in books for classes in which they weren't enrolled. In some cases, they obtained more than one copy of a book, which they gave to others.

The university, which began its own investigation more than two years ago, accepted the NCAA findings without a formal hearing before the infractions committee. The probation will run through Oct. 15, 2009.

"While it is always difficult when penalties are involved, we accept them as appropriate and a valuable lesson," Ball State athletic director Tom Collins said. "I've already spoken with the coaches. The loss of scholarships and practice time will be a challenge, but I have great confidence in our coaches' abilities to work through those challenges."

The NCAA said the extra benefits to the athletes through the book program resulted in Ball State exceeding limitations on financial aid in football and men's tennis for 2004-05.

At the time, the university's bookstore had a computerized system that placed $1,000 per semester in each athlete's account, but there was no system to check the class schedules to make sure the books corresponded with the classes the athletes were taking.
Those whose schedules did not require $1,000 worth of textbooks were able to use the balance to obtain books for friends and other athletes who were not on scholarship, the NCAA found.

The university has been reimbursed for the value of the books and "all books involved were accounted for," Collins said.

The NCAA also found that from 1999 through 2006 the softball program failed to count athletes' work at camps, clinics and program fundraising events as athletically related activities. The program therefore exceeded daily and weekly practice hour limitations, failed to give athletes a required day off each week from athletically related activities, and conducted individual skill instruction sessions in violation of NCAA rules.

The NCAA said the university's compliance staff became aware of the violations but failed to act on the information or report it to the NCAA.

"The Committee on Infractions believed that the scope and nature of the violations demonstrated a failure to exercise institutional control in the conduct and administration of the book-loan and softball programs," the NCAA said. "It found that the university failed to establish adequate rules education to student-athletes and staff to ensure the use of athletics aid at the bookstore met NCAA regulations."

The football scholarship reduction may be applied in a single year or divided over the next two years. Tennis financial aid will be reduced by .04 of one scholarship during the 2008-09 year.

For the softball violations, no more than four players may participate in any individual skill-related instruction sessions with the coach until April 15, 2008. Also, for the rest of the 2006-07 year and all of the 2007-08 academic year, no softball player may participate as a counselor, demonstrator or instructor in a university camp or clinic.

The softball team will be limited to a maximum of 18 hours per week of countable athletically related activities.

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia freshman guard Corey Gibbs was suspended for nine games Friday for making more than $500 from selling textbooks and school supplies, a violation of NCAA rules.

What's funny is you can't make 500 bucks for selling the books, yet they can charge up to 500 for some. I know when my wife was going through nursing school I paid 300 bucks for one book! Freaking UAB!

Every investigation of every school is different, but if the worst case scenerio happens I'll be able to tell my children that I remember the day that Alabama lost football to the death penalty.

We can't afford to have anything else come our way. That Hoover report is still being viewed in respect to Steele being in the mix and now we have this book thing.

I suggest we just root for the team and continue to remain strong as fans.

However, if things hit the fan...say goodbye to football. I never thought I have to put Alabama in the same company with SMU. Our final warning was the last probation...we have no more second chances.

~Bryan

RollTide1980 said:
Every investigation of every school is different, but if the worst case scenerio happens I'll be able to tell my children that I remember the day that Alabama lost football to the death penalty.

We can't afford to have anything else come our way. That Hoover report is still being viewed in respect to Steele being in the mix and now we have this book thing.

However, if things hit the fan...say goodbye to football. I never thought I have to put Alabama in the same company with SMU. Our final warning was the last probation...we have no more second chances.

~Bryan

I believe you’re over reacting a lot. We are no longer on probation which is what would give us the death penalty. This will amount to nothing, but a slap on the wrist. If anything...

Rolling Tide said:
RollTide1980 said:

~Bryan

I believe you’re over reacting a lot. We are no longer on probation which is what would give us the death penalty. This will amount to nothing, but a slap on the wrist. If anything...

Most Bama fans want this to "amount to nothing" but you have to be objective.

Once the NCAA spanks you, they never look at you the same again. They will never ignore Bama again. These kids know the rules and what we've already dealt with. Coach Saban just said something along the same lines.

I hope it's nothing, but don't be shocked if the "future" will have to wait...if you know what I mean.

~Bryan

"From 2003 to 2005, 89 student-athletes from 10 different sports were able to acquire textbooks for courses on which they were not enrolled, or acquire multiple textbooks for the same course."

For now, it seems the Ball State thing was far different from what happened here. And I think since UA caught it and is dealing with it, that you can't say lack of inst. control.

So i dont think much will come from this

Well, the UGA kid that got suspended for 9 games will probably be closer to the mark. Those were basketball games where they play 30+ per year. That would equate to about a 3 game suspension in football.

Just thinking...

We can all agree it's going to come down to the level of abuse.

I don't know the procedure, but if it is like other financial aid the players were issued book vouchers for their textbooks. A refund would require a receipt and that receipt would show how the books were purchased. Now, you can return books without a receipt, but I recall that only being allowed once when I was at UA.

Another question that is still out there is from a student that said the investigation started with another sports team on campus. The sport he mentioned earlier today was the track team which I believe on receives a partial scholly as it is.

The details will become known. You to remember they were suspended yesterday after the investigation turned it up the story Thursday.

TerryP said:
We can all agree it's going to come down to the level of abuse.

I don't know the procedure, but if it is like other financial aid the players were issued book vouchers for their textbooks. A refund would require a receipt and that receipt would show how the books were purchased. Now, you can return books without a receipt, but I recall that only being allowed once when I was at UA.

Another question that is still out there is from a student that said the investigation started with another sports team on campus. The sport he mentioned earlier today was the track team which I believe on receives a partial scholly as it is.

The details will become known. You to remember they were suspended yesterday after the investigation turned it up the story Thursday.

Saban alluded to the fact that there are proccesses in place to keep this from happening and it failed. That's the concern of mine FWIW.

Alabama would not receive the death penalty. They know that Alabama football is big business and big money. They might derail us again, but they would never give the death penalty and take money out of their own pockets.

Back
Top Bottom