| FTBL I found this article

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Staff
About UGA and found it to be similar to our history, only 20 years out.

This a long read, but nobody else is posting, so enjoy.

I remember coming off the glorious 92 Championship and enjoying dominance of the West division of the SEC for the first part of the 90's. I remember the joy of the 94 season being undefeated going into the SECCG and hopes of playing for a national title, only to have Florida squeak one out against us. It seemed as though Spurriers machine known as the Fun n' Gun were in a state of perpetual motion and nothing could stop them. It was during this time that the proud and boisterous family known as the Alabama fan base began to get a little disgruntled and unhappy with "winning ugly". Spurriers sexy style of football was more enjoyable to watch and was the latest craze and was proving to be a force to be reckoned with.

In comes 1996 and here we are in our 7th year of the same old same old. Defense, defense, defense, and we will beat you with a couple of field goals and no other offense to speak of. The Alabama family had seen all they had cared to see. It was during this time that we lose by 10 points to Vandy at home and then 3 weeks later travel to Raleigh to have freakin' NC State take us behind the woodshed to the tune of 41-14. Let us not forget the doughnut eating Phatimus Phil at UcheaT had his undercover detective fat ass working overtime and was about 2 years into a decade of dominance over our beloved Tide. Yes my friends it was a horrible time to be a Bama fan, but not for what was happening on the field at the time. No, my friends, this was the beginning of a decade of obscurity dealt to us by the very managers of our program listening to us and giving us what "we want". I guess Coach Stallings was right, "when you start to listen to the fans, it won't be long and you will be one of them".

Our illustrious AD at the time was a certain Bob Bockrath who has the distinct title of being known as the asshat that ran off Coach Stallings. All in all, the infamous 17-16 loss to Mississippi State in 1996 is what most folks have come to know as the final straw between CGS and AD Bockrath. However there is a pretty good article on rollbamaroll that gives a little more insight into the story of CGS demise as the head coach at UA.

It was during this time that all the fans wanted Mike Dubose. While most folks blame Dubose for the decade of mediocrity that we suffered through in the late 90's and most of the early 2000's, I have no ill will towards Coach Dubose. He has stated he still loves Alabama. He loved Alabama so much that he tried to please everybody, and you just can't do that. Those of you that have been in a position of authority know that if your not pissing somebody off, then you are not doing your job correctly. Coach Dubose has moved on and is doing quite well and I am extremely happy for him. He is a part of our history and if nothing else should serve as a reminder that we don't always know what is best.

It is here where UGA could be on the slippery slope of being an eastern division whipping boy if they are not careful. UGA has it all, a good coach, plenty of money, a loyal fan base, and have the luxury of being the big boy in a state that could fully stock the 25 scholarship limit on an annual basis. UGA fans, I know your pain, I understand your frustration, but take it from me. Leave the man alone. He like so many other coaches that have been forced out, have not forgot how to coach. While I think Richt is a little too loyal to some assistants, I think the right pressure can be placed on him to make the right decisions as opposed to just running him off. (I could be wrong, but I think he likes his 7 figure salary, and can be persuaded in the right way on how to keep it)

I have said it once and I'll say it again, UGA fans be careful what you wish for. While the job in Athens is extremely attractive, you still don't know what your gonna get. While assistants that have worked for Saban are a hot commodity right now, it is still too early to tell what they are going to do. We are waiting to see how Jimbo, Derek, Will, and Kirby turn out. While 2 are HC's and one is in waiting, it is just a matter of time before Kirby gets a gig as well. While I would hate to see Kirby leave, and would love to see him hang around till CNS retires, I know that is pretty much an impossibility. UGA is sitting in the drivers seat and just like in comedy, timing is of the essence. While they have the black eye of Damon Evans and his pimping ways hanging over them right now, it will be forgotten in about 30 days. SEC media days is in about 2 weeks and then a week later, football practice starts. By August 5th people will be saying Damon who?

To you, UGA, I say sit tight. Watch what your neighbors do to the north and south of you. (UT and FSU) If these programs seem to be on the up and up in about 2-3 years, and you still are hovering in the abyss of 7-9 win seasons, then go west young man. Kirby is one of your own and has a deep affection for you Dawgs. If history has taught us nothing, it is that hiring a coach too early can put you on a downward spiral that would require the second coming of Bear Bryant himself to pull you out. Fortunately we at Bama, were able to do that. Otherwise we would still be wallowing in the past of our teams previous accomplishments and not looking forward to the destiny that awaits us. UGA fans be careful, be very very careful what you wish for.

According to the article from the Tennessean, it becomes a fluid situation. All depends on who President Michael Adams hires. He was essentially who ousted Dooley, but Evans was a Dooley disciple and a big advocate of Richts. If Adams is still in an anti-Dooley state, he might go a completely different direction. If that is the case, I don't think Richt is necessarily in a safe place with 7-8 wins. Adams may very well be the UGA version of Andrew Sorensen.

Back
Top Bottom