| LIFE Hey autophiles! Here's a view from "Back In The Day" of an old K-Mart parking lot circa mid 70's. How many of these cars can you identify?

TerryP

Staff
Here's what you're working with. The second picture will have a select few numbered. Can you fill in the blanks?

Those look like Craiger wheels...funny seeing them in a K-Mart parking lot.
Notice the size of the parking spaces.
Notice there's no such thing as a SUV and very few trucks.

Eight selections here.

Go.

Well that's a plymouth barracuda with the mailbox scoop on the hood.

1. Looks like a pinto
  2. Chevy of some kind
  3. Datsun
  4. Ford pickup
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. Pontiac of some kind--Lemans maybe?

I was born in 68 so don't be too hard on me. That's a cool pic.

@footballer the door frame is what's throwing me in the picture. Notice how thick it is between the two windows, width-wise? The door frame below the window looks a lot like a Corvair to me.

Now that you mention the Bel Air...

@TerryP, One of my older brothers owned a Corvair, maybe a 65 or 66 model, when I was around 13 years old. I bought a 64 Bel Air in 77. It was a 4 door, long and lean and rusty. But it ran good and I got several years of use out of it. There is not much to go on with some of these cars in the pic, so I am guessing from how long it is, the shape of the roof and door glasses and w/s, and it looks to have 4 doors. I don't believe Corvairs had 4 doors.

@TerryP, How about a list of your favorite muscle cars from the 60's to early 70's.
Mine are
1 1970 Chevelle SS
2 1965 GTO
3 1968 Mustang fast back
4 1970 Cougar Eliminator
5 1969 Camaro SS or RS
Dang, wrong again about the 4 door Corvairs.

I've always liked the '70 Chevelle as well @footballer . One of my ex's had a '70 two door coupe that was a Nova. I liked that car quite a bit as well.

I'm a fan of the 1968 Shelby. Although, the Boss 302 that came out in 1970 would make me turn my eyes for a few minutes.

There's something about the way a '71 GSX from Buick looks like from the back that strikes me as odd looking, but from the sides and front that was a beautiful car as well.

And the 69 Firebird? Geez...but when it comes to the favorite?

Gosh. I've got to go with the Shelby.

On a side note: I absolutely loath yellow cars. In fact, I've only seen one vehicle that looked halfway decent in yellow and that's the X-Terra.

BUT...that yellow Hemi-Cuda ('71, maybe?) that Don Johnson drove in Nash Bridges? That was a car.

@TerryP, I agree, yellow does not look good on most cars or school buses for that matter. Carrol Shelby sure did a great job turning the Mustang into what amounted to track cars. They are beautiful. Also agree, the GS Stage 3 Buicks were awesome.

@TerryP, How about a list of your favorite muscle cars from the 60's to early 70's.
Mine are
1 1970 Chevelle SS
2 1965 GTO
3 1968 Mustang fast back
4 1970 Cougar Eliminator
5 1969 Camaro SS or RS
Dang, wrong again about the 4 door Corvairs.

My dad had a 64 Goat with 3 deuces, regretfully I've only seen pictures of it. If I could have a muscle car from that timeframe, I'd probably go with that or Mopar.

True muscle cars were powered down and quite tame by either 1971 or 1972 because of the gas shortages back in that day. But that didn't take away from the beauty of the Monte or the Chevelle Laguna that alabama mike posted, and many other cars of that period.

The 73 Super Sport cost me and my dad $2,000 back in 1978. I loved that car and kept it until 1990, just before we moved to Ohio. The first car I drove after getting my license was a white, 64 Ford Falcon.

I never was a real fan of the color scheme. Black and Gold...nah. But damn. I'd drive this proudly.

Here's a 100+ photo sequence of the restoration of a 1980 Trans Am. I've got it bookmarked to I can waste some time I word soon...gotta peek in the background to see what kind of tools he's using, etc.

Back
Top Bottom