| FTBL Giving Shula a raise and/or contract extension

Do you agree with giving a coach a raise/extension while serving under a pre-existing contract?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I

imported_porkchop

I saw this on another board and decided to run a poll here on it and see what y'alls thoughts are on this.

Do you agree or disagree with giving a coach a contract extension and/or raise while that coach is still serving under a pre-existing contract?

Why or why not?

Okay, here's my two cents.

While it is true that Shula is working under a pre-existing contract I don't mind the fact that he is getting a raise and here's why;

1. He's done a very commendable job on getting the program back on its feet after the amount of turmoil it has suffered recently.

2. He's not out there begging and politicing for a new contract like some people that used to play for a certain profession football team out of Philadelphia that will remain nameless. :D

3. It helps lock up your coach for the "long haul" by giving extension and raises show him that you apreciate the job that is being done.

I like the fact that Shula is getting a raise. I think he deserves it, and keep in mind, Shula came into this almost doing us a favor yet he's never said a word about the money that he is being paid. He's shown a lot of integrity and has honored his contract in every way, shape and form.

I think it's great that the university wants to reward the guy and I applaud Dr. Witt for the gesture.

i think if you exceed expetations, yes. i also think they shouldbe able to "dock" you somewhat if you underperform

Bingo! I was waiting for someone to say that. :lol: I tend to agree with that to a degree but what is over or under performing? There needs to be a clear concise line drawn between all parties involved because if it's a gray area I think you open yourself up to all kinds of headaches and hassles.

I think it's the right thing to do as long as the coach deserves it. Letting a coach hand around until the end of his contract before a new one is made doesn't send the right message to the coach or to the recruits and players. No one wants to be at a school where your coach will not be there at least 'til the end of your career.

yes i think the football coach should make more money than the basketball coach. unless it is somewhere like duke where basketball means everything. i am not saying that RT basketball isnt big just that football is bigger.

Well let me play it cautious without being a pain-in-the-neck Bama fan. I'm putting on my safety gear for all that will be thrown at me. I'd rather wait to comment until after the Auburn game and the bowl game.

On the up side:

Alabama beat a top 5 team in Bryant-Denny.
Alabama beat Tennessee.
Alabama exceeded any expectations this year.
Alabama realistically outperformed this year if you look at the numbers and effects of sanctions.

On the down side:

Alabama lost to LSU (believe me I know how close and heartbreaking it was). I know, one isn't his fault. :x Shula is now 1-7 vs. UT, LSU and AU.
Alabama lost to Auburn 3 straight years. Tomorrow could be the 4th or it could all be a mute point if we win. Woo-hoo!!! :D

I guess all I'm saying is let's don't put him on track money-wise with the top dog coaches just yet. Next year will say a lot about his coaching ability too. Now, just for the record, if you don't know that I want Coach Shula to stay here and be successful forever then you must wear orange and blue. :D

I believe that CMS has done a very admirable job at Bama, but before contract extensions, he still needs to beat Auburn before he can get one in my opinion. I'm taking anything away from his coaching, I think he is going to be a great recruiter and coach, but he's got to beat AU

When the season is over, CMS should get his raise (as well as his assistants). Just because he's under a current contract shouldn't mean squat, and Witt is smart enough to see and realize that. There is a bigger picture there.

I think the success of the team and staff warrant a raise.On the extension part I believe after the season is over and before recruiting is a good time . Not while the season is on going.A nice gesture but all this stuff during the season is not the time. JMO

If it will make any of you feel any better about this, I can promise you that Shula will not take ANY time away from preparing his football team to deal with a raise or extension. I don't need this as proof or anything, but I'll offer it anyway... here is a quote from Shula from Tuesday...

"I don't even know how to comment on (the possibility of a raise)," he said. "My mind's on Auburn. If your mind's not on beating Auburn and preparing your best to beat Auburn, then you're cheating this football team."

Before the season, there was a discussion on here about what our expectations were, and what we would consider "progress" under CMS. It was an objective, and I believe fair discussion. Much was made about the realities of #'s of scholarship athletes on the team and the fact that we would "bottom out" on our numbers before beginning to rise again next season.

I noted the records from the first and second seasons under CMS and with that in mind and the number of scholly athletes, I considered positive progress to be one win higher than last year. My prediction was 7-4. 8-3 if Brodie stayed healthy.

This season has far surpassed my best hopes. Sure we are just one win higher than my best scenario, but we spanked S. Carolina and the old ball coach in front of their home crowd, SI screamed "Bama Is Back" after we thoroughly thrashed Florida and its "wonderboy" coach, we beat Phat Phil, we soared to a #3 ranking in the BCS, there was talk in the media (local and national) of a shot at the National Championship, we have won 5 Pontiac Game Changing Performances, many 4 and 5 star blue chip recruits have been attending our games and several of them appear to be changing their prior leanings to place us in the lead for their services, CBS sports has practically set up an annex in our athletic offices.....

In short, CMS clearly and unequivocally returned Alabama football to a place of honor among the nation's elite programs, and he did it two years before most of us thought possible. For that I say to CMS, staff, and players "Thank You!" To Dr. Witt and Mal Moore I say, "Open the checkbook and contract wide boys!"

:che :che :che :che :che :che

porkchop said:
Damn fine post Rob! ;sal You get a sticker! :D

Give him a sticker and a cookie!

big%20all.jpg

Milk%20Chocolate%20Chip%20Cookie%20With%20Pecans.jpg

I think Bama's performance this year is a couple of years ahead of where it
was expected. Remember a couple of years ago his biggest challenge was learning the players name, I really don't count that year. I don't remember any of the Nation's top College Coaches knocking our door down trying to get
the Job When Price was canned. I thank God that Mike S. loved us enough to take us. It was not a matter of who we could get but who would take us. At this point Mike Shula + the University of Alabama is a perfect Match. He deserves what ever he gets and remember he is still Learning.

BamaDelta said:
Now do you see why I said wait til after the Auburn game? Sorry, someone had to say it. :?

I stand by what I said earlier. 7-4 was realistic, 8-3 optimistic, 9-2 an over-achievement based on talent and numbers.

Evaluations have to be taken over the season as a whole. IMO it is a mistake to place too high a priority on one single game. Particularly one against an in-state rival that has been far and away the greatest beneficiary of our scholly limitation.

Tideboy said:
BamaDelta said:
Now do you see why I said wait til after the Auburn game? Sorry, someone had to say it. :?

I stand by what I said earlier. 7-4 was realistic, 8-3 optimistic, 9-2 an over-achievement based on talent and numbers.

Evaluations have to be taken over the season as a whole. IMO it is a mistake to place too high a priority on one single game. Particularly one against an in-state rival that has been far and away the greatest beneficiary of our scholly limitation.

Give me a few days, and I may just agree with you. Why do you always have to take the high road? :wink: :)

Back
Top Bottom