| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Game Of Thrones: The great war is here.

NUyttbn.gif

GoT Bosses Confirm Plans to Shorten Final 2 Seasons

Winter is coming a lot sooner than any of us may be ready for.

Following their explosive season six finale, Game of Thrones co-creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have made it clear that there are only but a handful of episodes left to spread across the final two seasons of their HBO hit. "It's two more seasons we're talking about. From pretty close to the beginning, we talked about doing this in 70-75 hours, and that's what we'll end up with," Benioff told Deadline. "Call it 73 for now."

For those not keeping score at home, each of GoT's six seasons have been made up of 10 episodes each, bringing the series to a current total of 60 hours and leaving us with only 13-15 to hit their target. How they plan to divvy those hours up over seasons seven and eight remains a mystery, but it doesn't take the Three-Eyed Raven to see that one, if not both, will have far less episodes than we've grown accustomed to.

As Benioff continued to explain, this has always been the plan. "We're trying to tell one cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end," he said. "We've known the end for quite some time and we're hurtling towards it. Those last images from the [season six finale] showed that. Daenerys is finally coming back to Westeros; Jon Snow is king of the North and Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne. And we know the Night King is up there, waiting for all of them. The pieces are on the board now."

"The thing that has excited us from the beginning, back to the way we pitched it to HBO is, it's not supposed to be an ongoing show, where every season it's trying to figure out new story lines," he continued. "We wanted it to be one giant story, without padding it out to add an extra 10 hours, or because people are still watching it. We wanted to something where, if people watched it end to end, it would make sense as one continuous story."

This isn't the first time the pair have discussed their plan in the press. Prior to the season six premiere, they spoke with Varietyabout their endgame, admitting that the shorter episode count for the final seasons would allow them to spend more time (and, most certainly, money) on their big finish. "It's crossing out of a television schedule into more of a mid-range movie schedule," Weiss said at the time.

First thing I noticed in the preview (considering it already to be a short season with only 7 episodes), it's gonna be action packed. I'm happy.

Also, S07E01 will reportedly last 59 mins, which is 9 mins longer than the Season 6 opener.

First thing I noticed in the preview (considering it already to be a short season with only 7 episodes), it's gonna be action packed. I'm happy.

Also, S07E01 will reportedly last 59 mins, which is 9 mins longer than the Season 6 opener.

This is the jist, if not the whole article, from this week's edition of Entertainment Weekly:

'Game of Thrones' Stars to Get More Screen Time in Season 7

Game of Thrones stars to get more screen time despite fewer episodes

Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage and showrunner Dan Weiss explain why you’ll see more of your favorites this season

JAMES HIBBERD@JAMESHIBBERD

POSTED ON MAY 26, 2017 AT 9:26AM EDT
93c6e8bbac6fc26474d07aa81de.jpg

MACALL B. POLAY/HBO

At first, this headline sounds like it couldn’t possibly be true.

How can the stars of Game of Thrones get more screen time in season 7 when there are fewer episodes (seven instead of 10)?

Even Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) was initially a tad perplexed when she received her scripts.

“When I first read this season I thought: ‘Damn, I gotta learn some lines!’” Clarke marveled. “We’re actually filming longer now. I don’t know how that’s happening.”

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) was similarly struck by his character’s increased visibility this year. “I’ve worked more days this season than I have in quite some time,” he told EW.

There are few factors that explain this seemingly impossible screen time vs. episode count paradox.

As showrunner Dan Weiss puts it, “You kill a couple dozen characters, the people who are left by default need to carry more dramatic weight.” Season 6 saw the departure of several main performers — including Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) and Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer), who often anchored their own stand-alone scenes. So now, as Kit Harington (Jon Snow) put it, “Everyone gets a bigger slice of the pie.”

Second, characters are coming together more than ever before. So instead episodes potentially spending a relatively brief amount of time with up to eight different main characters in separate locations, having fan favorites meet in Westeros means they sometimes share scenes and are therefore around more often. “As the worlds start to converge the characters who haven’t met each other before start to meet each other and there are more main characters together in each other’s storylines than ever before,” Weiss said. “Every since Tyrion crossed the Narrow Sea and met Dany that’s been the general direction. And having them on set together is a real privilege for us.”

Combine those factors with the fact that Thrones spent just as many months shooting seven episodes as they usually spend to make 10 (in an effort to make the season as awesome as possible), and you have a cast working harder than ever plus getting more screen time even though the season has fewer hours. That all makes sense, right?

“These storylines are going to cross and it’s going to be so exciting to watch I think,” said Carice van Houten (Melisandre). “War has really started. We all know there’s no escape. How are we going to run away from what’s coming? Everyone is going to get trapped. The heat is on.”

RELATED: We reunited the Starks for this week’s cover. Read more here!

Captions
Get your copy here and check out our gallery of exclusive photos.

Also this week, HBO unveiled the trailer for season 7; see Darren Franich’s deep-dive analysis of every shot. (The trailer has now surpassed 61 million views in just 24 hours).

For ongoing Game of Thrones coverage, follow @jameshibberd for the latest (non-fake and spoiler free); subscribe to our GoT newsletter for breaking news alerts, and check out our GoT podcast.

Game of Thrones debuts July 16 on HBO.

Recap...... in a nutshell....
Night king got a dragon, Jamie got a conscious, Littlefinger got the blade, Cercie still a bitch and Jon Snow is banging his hot dragon riding aunt...... dayum.... R.R. setting the bar kinda high for anyone who follows this show. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Recap...... in a nutshell....
Night king got a dragon, Jamie got a conscious, Littlefinger got the blade, Cercie still a bitch and Jon Snow is banging his hot dragon riding aunt...... dayum.... R.R. setting the bar kinda high for anyone who follows this show. :)
Spoiler....heh...WTF...it came on 3 days ago. ;)

Back
Top Bottom