| GAME THREAD đź‘€ First Glance at the Semi's: 4 things to know about Alabama football's College Football Playoff opponent, Notre Dame

B

Bama News

No. 1 Alabama meets No. 4 Notre Dame in the College Football Playoff semifinal on Jan. 1.

The game was relocated from the Rose Bowl to AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. on ESPN.

Alabama (11-0) is making its sixth CFP appearance and is looking for a sixth national championship under coach Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide ranked second in the FBS with 49.7 points per game with an offense that features quarterback Mac Jones, running back Najee Harris and receiver DeVonta Smith.

Notre Dame (10-1) is back in the playoff for the second time in three seasons under coach Brian Kelly after an impressive one-year tour of the ACC, but the Fighting Irish enter the matchup with the same-old big-game questions after a 34-10 loss to Clemson in the ACC championship game. Quarterback Ian Book is 30-4 as a starter.

Here's everything to know about betting on Alabama vs. Notre Dame, including updated odds, trends and our prediction for the CFP semifinal.

Alabama vs. Notre Dame betting odds
  • Spread: Alabama –19.5
  • Over/under: 65.5
  • Moneyline: Alabama –110, Notre Dame –110
The Crimson Tide opened as 17.5-point favorites, and that line has jumped up two points. It’s the largest semifinal spread in the history of the College Football Playoff.

Alabama vs. Notre Dame all-time series
The Irish lead the all-time series 5-2, and that includes victories in the 1973 Sugar Bowl and the 1975 Orange Bowl. The Crimson Tide won the last meeting 42-14 in the BCS championship game on Jan. 7, 2013.

Three trends to know
— The Crimson Tide is 4-1 S/U in CFP semifinals, and Alabama is 3-2 ATS in those games. The Crimson Tide is 1-1 ATS as a double-digit favorite in those games.

— The Irish are 5-6 ATS this season. Notre Dame is 12-10-1 ATS in neutral-site games under Brian Kelly since 2010.

— The Crimson Tide is 8-3 ATS this season, and that includes a 2-1 ATS mark when the spread is fewer than 20 points.

Three things to watch
— Notre Dame’s offensive line. In that BCS championship loss in 2013, the Irish were manhandled up front. Notre Dame’s offensive line features All-American candidates in Liam Eichenberg, Aaron Banks, Robert Hainsey and Tommy Kraemer. It’s an experienced group that has to give Ian Book time to work against a talented Alabama defense that improved in the second half of the season. That said, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Florida combined to average 374 passing yards against Alabama. Book can have success with targets in Michael Mayer, Avery Davis and Ben Skowronek, but he needs to be more decisive in the pocket. That could open up the running game for Kyren Williams, who averages 122.1 rushing yards per game.

— Alabama’s running game. The Irish allowed just 3.7 yards per carry, and the defense, led by Butkus Award winner Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, is solid. The Crimson Tide will test that with a rushing attack that averages 5.0 yards per carry. Najee Harris rushed for 24 TDs and averaged 5.9 yards per carry. If Harris is breaking loose early, then Notre Dame will be in trouble.

— The first quarter. With a spread that high, sometimes it really is that simple. Alabama outscored opponents 132-37 in the first quarter this season, and it has outscored opponents 52-13 in those five previous semifinals. A quick lead would allow offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian to do what he wants. What will Notre Dame defensive coordinator Clark Lea to do disrupt that with his back seven?

Stat that matters

Mac Jones leads the FBS with that passer rating, which is higher than the 202.0 passer rating LSU’s Joe Burrow put up last season. DeVonta Smith and John Metchie are huge problems for a Notre Dame secondary that had two interceptions this season, and Jones has played his best in big games. Smith poses the biggest challenge for the Irish’s defense.

Prediction
The lines on both sides will tell you right away whether the Irish stand a chance in yet another big-game opportunity. Alabama’s offense is clicking at an all-time level, and Jones should be able to settle in with the perimeter targets early. The Crimson Tide hit two long TDs in the second quarter to build a two-score lead by halftime. Notre Dame threatens to make it a game in the third quarter when Book responds, but Alabama turns to Harris in closing time. That puts Saban within reach of a seventh national championship — which would break legendary coach Bear Bryant’s record.

Final score: Alabama 42, Notre Dame 23

Notre Dame has earned its second trip to the College Football Playoff, and the Irish must square off against the No. 1 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide.

We continue our coverage of this matchup by taking a first glance look at Alabama.

Game Date: January 1, 2021
Start Time: 4:00 PM (Eastern)
Network: ESPN
Early Line: Alabama -19.5

Now let's look at Alabama:

SCHEDULE/RESULTS (11-0)

at Missouri - Won 38-19
#5 Texas A&M - Won 52-24
at Ole Miss - Won 63-48
#11 Georgia - Won 41-24
at Tennessee - Won 48-17
Mississippi State - Won 41-0
Kentucky - Won 63-3
Auburn - Won 42-13
at LSU - Won 55-17
at Arkansas - Won 52-3
vs. #10 Florida - Won 52-46

STATISTICAL OVERVIEW

STATISTICAL LEADERS

RUSHING LEADERS
: RB Najee Harris - 1,262 yards, 5.9 YPC, 24 TD; RB Brian Robinson Jr. - 404 yards, 5.2 YPC, 6 TD; RB Jase McClellan - 245 yards, 10.7 YPC, 2 TD

PASSING LEADER: QB Mac Jones - 3,729 yards, 76.5%, 32 TD, 4 INT, 202.34 rating

RECEIVING LEADERS: WR DeVonta Smith - 98 catches, 1,511 yards, 15.4 YPC, 17 TD; WR John Metchie III - 44 catches, 782 yards, 17.8 YPC, 6 TD; WR Jaylen Waddle (Injured) - 25 catches, 557 yards, 22.3 YPC, 4 TD; RB Najee Harris - 32 catches, 316 yards, 9.9 YPC, 3 TD; WR Slade Bolden - 19 catches, 232 yards, 12.2 YPC, 0 TD

TACKLE LEADERS: LB Christian Harris - 68; LB Dylan Moses - 68; S Jordan Battle - 58; S Daniel Wright - 55; S DeMarcco Hellams - 46

TFL LEADERS: LB Christopher Allen - 12.0; LB Will Anderson Jr. - 10.5; LB Christian Harris - 7.0; LB Dylan Moses - 6.5; DE Christian Barmore - 6.5; DE Byron Young - 6.5

SACK LEADERS: LB Will Anderson Jr. - 7.0; LB Christopher Allen - 6.0; DE Christian Barmore - 6.0; LB Christian Harris - 4.5; CB Josh Jobe - 2.0

INTERCEPTION LEADERS: S Malachi Moore - 3; S Brian Branch - 2; S Daniel Wright - 2; four players tied with 1

ALABAMA COACHING STAFF

Head Coach
: Nick Saban

Record: 168-23, 14th season
Record - Overall: 259-65-1, 25th season
vs. Notre Dame: 4-0 (3-0 at Michigan State, 1-0 at Alabama)

Offensive Coordinator/QB: Steve Sarkisian, 2nd season
Defensive Coordinator/LB: Pete Golding, 3rd season
Special Teams Coordinator/TE: Jeff Banks, 3rd season

Running Backs/Associate Head Coach: Charles Huff, 2nd season
Offensive Line: Kyle Flood, 2nd season
Wide Receivers: Holmon Wiggins, 2nd season

Associate Def. Coordinator/Safeties: Charles Kelly, 2nd season
Defensive Line: Freddie Roach, 1st season
Cornerbacks: Karl Scott, 3rd season
Outside Linebackers: Sal Sunseri, 2nd season (5th overall)

The nation's No. 2 passing yards leader.

The nation's third-ranked rusher in yards.

The nation's top receiver — by more than 300 yards.

Good luck, Notre Dame.

Alabama's Mac Jones, Najee Harris (above) and DeVonta Smith would be tough to stop alone. But the Irish will need to find a way to contain the Tide's trio of stars, among others, in a College Football Playoff semifinal at 4 p.m. ET on Friday, Jan. 1, 2021.

That might mean Notre Dame will have to do what Florida tried — attempt to keep pace with Alabama's high-scoring offense. So Irish QB Ian Book, RB Kyren Williams and the rest of the team will likely need big games.

Though Notre Dame is coming off a blowout loss to Clemson in the ACC Championship Game, it did defeat the Tigers earlier this season. Yes, Clemson wasn't at full strength, most notably playing without QB Trevor Lawrence, but Notre Dame has proven it can defeat top-ranked teams.

But this is 'Bama. Notre Dame gets another chance on the sport's biggest stage to silence doubters and shock Alabama.

However, it's hard to look at the obstacle blocking Notre Dame's path to its first national title since 1988. Jones has 3,739 passing yards while completing 76.5 percent of his passes. Harris has 1,262 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns. Smith has a ridiculous 98 catches for 1,511 yards and 17 touchdowns.

The SEC's top challengers have tried to match Alabama — and Florida got close in the SEC Championship. But can Notre Dame do what the Gators and Texas A&M couldn't?

Alabama vs. Notre Dame: Series history

This game marks the first between the Tide and the Irish in eight seasons, when they met for the BCS National Championship. 'Bama crushed undefeated Notre Dame, 42-14, to win its second consecutive national title.

Notre Dame holds a 5-2 series lead going into the CFP showdown. This isn't the first time a Notre Dame-Alabama game has title implications. At the 1973 Sugar Bowl (above) Notre Dame beat No. 1 Alabama to vault into the top spot in the final AP Poll. The following season, in the 1975 Orange Bowl (1974 season), Notre Dame beat the Tide again to deny Alabama the national title.

Alabama-Notre Dame: Scores, all-time series

DATELOCATIONWINNERSCORE
Jan. 7, 2013Miami Gardens, FL (BCS National Championship)Alabama42-14
Nov. 14, 1987South Bend, INNotre Dame37-6
Oct. 4, 1986Birmingham, ALAlabama28-10
Nov. 15, 1980Birmingham, ALNotre Dame7-0
Nov. 13, 1976South Bend, INNotre Dame21-18
Jan. 1, 1975Miami, FL (Orange Bowl)Notre Dame13-11
Dec. 31, 1973New Orleans, LA (Sugar Bowl)Notre Dame24-23

Alabama vs. Notre Dame: Stats, how they match up

Alabama is undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation. Notre Dame is 10-1 after losing to Clemson in a rematch for the ACC title.
The Crimson Tide beat Florida to win the SEC Championship Game, while Notre Dame lost to Clemson in a rematch for the ACC crown.

Alabama vs. Notre Dame

ALABAMASTATNOTRE DAME
11-0 (10-0)Record (conference games)10-1 (9-0)
No. 1CFP rankNo. 4
49.7Points per game35.2
19.5Points allowed18.6
543.9Yards per game455.2
354.1Pass yards237.5
189.8Rush yards217.6
351.2Yards allowed335.1
243.5Pass yards allowed224.5
107.6Rush yards allowed110.5
Mac Jones
3,739 yards (32 TDs, 4 INT)
Passing leaderIan Book
2,601 yards (15 TDs, 2 INT)
Najee Harris
1,262 yards (24 TDs)
Rushing leaderKyren Williams
1,061 yards (12 TDs)
DeVonta Smith
1,511 yards (17 TDs)
Receiving leaderJavon McKinley
697 yards (3 TDs)
Dylan Moses
68 total tackles (6.5 TFL)
DefenseJeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
68 total tackles (6.5 TFL)

Notre Dame enters Saturday’s College Football Playoff semifinal matchup against Alabama coming off of a 20+ point loss to Clemson in the ACC Championship Game and projected as nearly a three-touchdown underdog to the top-ranked team. A big proponent of the Crimson Tide’s favorable odds lies within their explosive offense which ranks No. 1 among Power 5 teams and No. 2 nationally in scoring offense with an average of 49.7 points per game.

Stopping a Heisman finalist in Mac Jones with a supporting cast of playmakers like running back Najee Harris and wide receiver DeVonta Smith should prove to be a tall order even for the Notre Dame defense which ranks No. 17 nationally in scoring defense (18.8 ppg) and No. 20 in total defense (335.1 yards per game). Maybe instead, the Fighting Irish should go ahead and fight fire with fire on the offensive side of the ball.

On Wednesday night, college football analyst Trevor Matich broke down how the Notre Dame offense can beat Alabama during ESPN’s bowl postgame show.

"They have to do what Florida did," Trevor Matich said. "They have to figure out a way to just keep up in a track meet, but they don't really have the passing attack that Florida has. What they really need to do is take better advantage of their big receivers and big tight ends. The size of those guys, against Clemson they didn't do that as much. And they tried to just play it straight, throw the ball down the field; it's not gonna work against Alabama just like it didn't work against Clemson. But with the big tight ends — Michael Mayer and Tommy Tremble — and some of those big wideouts, if you throw the ball up high and they're only two or three yards down the field they'll catch the ball and then drag an offender two or three yards. And it's like a run you gain five yards anyway. It's gonna be awfully difficult for them to blast through the Alabama front-seven with their injury at center. And the offensive line right now is trying to find its way because of that. But they do have the matchup advantage of that size. They need to use it more often and better than they did against Clemson."

Alabama narrowly escaped No. 11 Florida last week in a 52-46 shootout for the SEC Championship. The Gators did most of their damage through their passing attack as Kyle Trask went 26-of-40 for 408 yards and three touchdowns; tight end Kyle Pitts with wide receiver Kadarius Toney combined for 15 receptions for 282 yards and two scores. However, Florida was limited to just 54 yards rushing (2.1 yards per rush) and fumbled twice in the loss while Alabama totaled 605 yards on offense, including 418 passing and 187 rushing, and dominated the time of possession.

Notre Dame currently lays claim to the nation’s No. 21 scoring offense (35.2 ppg) and No. 22 total offense (455.2 ypg). In their second contest against Clemson, the Fighting Irish only managed 263 total yards on offense, including just 44 rushing (1.5 ypr), while the defense surrendered 541 total yards to the Tigers, including 322 passing and 219 rushing (8.1 ypr).

“I really haven't had a chance to evaluate how we would game-plan them,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said of Alabama. “Certainly I followed all of their scores and they have been a buzzsaw against everybody, so I would think that there's going to have to be some ball control, which we can play that kind of game.

“And limit big plays right? You got to make them earn it all the way down the field, so those two components will certainly…be part of the game plan. Leaning on our offensive line to have some ball control elements, and then certainly from a defensive standpoint, making sure that we limit, the big chunk plays.”

"They have to do what Florida did," Trevor Matich said. "They have to figure out a way to just keep up in a track meet,
Going with what Trevor is saying here who on Notre Dame's offense would that be?

Their lead running back is a 1000 yard back with 12 TD's on the season: one a game, 'bout a 100 yard guy. Their leading receiver has five touchdowns on the season. (He's behind Metchie in production.)

That leads us to Ian Book.

Yeah I heard this as well. Just shook my head. This OL has been lights out and the MVP of this team. Never seen an offense perform as consistently as this team and at a high level game after game. Commented above if Dickerson injury makes a huge impact on that or not. Although much improved, the D is not good enough to overcome a subpar offensive performance in the playoffs. We will not be playing someone like the Barn or Kentucky in the CFP.

Was not aware of the talent upgrade the ND had made especially on the OL.
The last time Bama faced Notre Dame they had allowed 16 sacks on the season going into the BCSNC. Bama had two in the game, leaving Notre Dame with 18 allowed on the season. (Bama has 32 sacks right now, they finished the 2012 season with 35.)

Notre Dame, to date, has allowed 24 sacks on the season. In fewer games, the have already allowed more than 2012 but the assertion is it's a much stronger offensive line. Well, not in pass pro.

Well, actually ...
Obviously you feel they are about the same but I do not. If for no other reason Ian Book. You know my MO for every game...

Interesting question, how would you compare the 2012 vs 2020 ND teams? Kelly's pre-gram comments lead me to believe he thinks they are night and day at the line of scrimmage. We are about to find out.

We are obviously different as well on both sides of the ball. Mostly different in a good way but not all.

The last time Bama faced Notre Dame they had allowed 16 sacks on the season going into the BCSNC. Bama had two in the game, leaving Notre Dame with 18 allowed on the season. (Bama has 32 sacks right now, they finished the 2012 season with 35.)

Notre Dame, to date, has allowed 24 sacks on the season. In fewer games, the have already allowed more than 2012 but the assertion is it's a much stronger offensive line. Well, not in pass pro.
Was the competition better? Honestly do not know although it was an all ACC schedule. I made my comments based on reading the recruiting ratings for their OL recruits.

That leads us to Ian Book.
If for no other reason Ian Book.
Nix vs Book. With Book? He's a backyard, basketball on grass guy. Nix, the same.

Hell, I would give Book the benefit of the doubt and rank him against Mond simply because the Aggies have a better record this season and the two QB's play a lot alike. And then I'm right back to the pressure the offensive line has allowed this season.

Interesting question, how would you compare the 2012 vs 2020 ND teams? Kelly's pre-gram comments lead me to believe he thinks they are night and day at the line of scrimmage. We are about to find out.

The last time the two played there was a difference in the Jimmy's and Joe's. I'll stand behind what I said before the game was played back then: their issues was they couldn't tackle. I remember all too well how Kelly talked about his top 10 defense who were only allowing 11-12 points per game.

They were noodle arms that day with tackling and scoring there was about as easy as it is on The Strip on a Thursday night.

I got tickets for my son and I to go to the game. Just made one of these bad boys to test the file I created. Figured a "Rose Bowl" hat in "Texas" would be something unique and a one off deal. Gonna make ten and see if I can sell them at the stadium to make a few bucks to help pay for the trip.

I know I know, trademark, copywrite, yadda yadda, but I did check a number of trademarks and understand I'm toeing a line, but still created my own art so it isn't just 100% the same. Hopefully for ten hats I don't get popped, but we'll see.

Attachments

• 20201227_192128.jpg
    20201227_192128.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Thanks! @TerryP how could this team be in the CP when 6 of the teams ND beat has a losing record!
Looks like ND is getting a lot of mileage out of the Clemson and I guess the North Carolina wins.

Even w/o TL in the first game I saw a much more physical ND team than I had seen in the past. Not so much in round 2. The 2nd game was more like I expected the first game to go.

Alabama will have the oddity of playing a Rose Bowl in the state of Texas when it faces Notre Dame in the semifinals of the College Football Playoff.

Here are four things to know about the Fighting Irish:

Ian Book has been good, but not prolific

Notre Dame’s quarterback was among the Heisman Trophy favorites in the preseason, and while he still may get some votes, he is noticeably behind the nation’s most productive quarterbacks.

Book has thrown for 2,601 yards and 15 touchdowns — both fewer than Alabama’s Mac Jones, Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence and BYU’s Zach Wilson, despite having more attempts than all three.

Where Book has been a step above the rest is limiting interceptions, throwing just two in 314 attempts.

In two games against Clemson, Book completed 62.6% of his passes (42-67) for 529 yards (7.8 yards per attempt) with one touchdown and no interceptions. Outside of the Tigers, Notre Dame did not face a pass defense currently ranked in the top 50 nationally in yards per attempt allowed.

Kyren Williams has been a standout running back

Notre Dame’s feature ballcarrier is one of just 10 running backs in the nation to rack up 1,000 yards on the season, running for 1,061 yards in 11 games and scoring 12 touchdowns.

Williams is part of an Irish rushing attack that has been a big part of its offense, especially for an offense with Book at the helm. The Fighting Irish's No. 2 carrier, Chris Tyree, has 480 yards, and Book has 430 of his own. Notre Dame is fourth in the ACC in both yards per carry and runs of 10 yards or more, both good enough to make the top 25 nationally; the 79 runs of 10 yards or more rank eighth nationally.

Notre Dame has just two conference wins by more than 18 points

The ACC allowed one non-conference game this season, which the Irish used to schedule South Florida and win 52-0. Notre Dame handed Pitt its most one-sided loss of the season, 45-3, and had a 45-21 win over a 1-10 Syracuse team.

In other games, Notre Dame did not show the dominance that is typical of national-championship contenders.

The Fighting Irish eked out a 12-7 win over a 4-7 Louisville team one week after a 16-point win over an underwhelming Florida State team. Boston College finished 5-5 in ACC play and fell just 14 points shy of Notre Dame in a 45-31 game on Nov. 14.

UA has consistently benefitted from its dominance of lesser opponents in the eyes of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee, a factor Notre Dame does not have in its corner this season.

It’s been a disciplined team

Notre Dame has committed 50 penalties for 431 yards this year, averaging 4.5 penalties per game and 39.2 penalty yards per game. The penalty yards per game is good enough to rank 13th in the nation.

By comparison, Alabama is committing fewer penalties than it did last season but still not to the pace of Notre Dame. The Crimson Tide is committing six penalties per game this season for an average of 47.5 yards per game.

Back
Top Bottom