| FTBL Finebaum being Finebaum

Some of that is 100% accurate. I can’t see Saban walking away for another school. I could see him walking away before the end of the contract and I think NIL could be a contributing factor. Not every year is a championship year for a myriad of reasons and when we have a year like that all you hear is Saban is done…Saban has lost it blah blah blah.

Some of that is 100% accurate. I can’t see Saban walking away for another school. I could see him walking away before the end of the contract and I think NIL could be a contributing factor. Not every year is a championship year for a myriad of reasons and when we have a year like that all you hear is Saban is done…Saban has lost it blah blah blah.

This will most likely be the first recruiting class under Saban without a ring.

I remember thinking that same thing when Tua left. Not everyone on here knew that Mac was going to blow up the way he did.
Throwing to Heisman WR Smitty. And very few OL have measured up to that OL that protected him. Imagine him behind Bryce's OL last season and this season but without Bryce's mobility ..........

Was in a Mex restaurant tonite and noticed one the far wall PF on ESPN along side Stephen A and they were discussing something while the video clips were showing two or three of the no calls against us and then the call made against us on McKinstrys pick...they had the sound down so couldnt here what they were saying, can anybody let me in on what was being talked about??? thanks

Let's be frank, without a Heisman season from Bryce last year, we not only don't reach the natty but we probably finish with anywhere from 3-5 losses just in the regular season. Last year's team was BY FAR the worst of any Saban team to reach a natty. In fact, I'd say our 2010 Citrus Bowl team (which was finally healthy for the bowl game) and the 2013 team (McCarron's final season) both would have beaten us last season. Finebaum is making obvious and defensible points that few in establishment media have the balls to say about the GOAT. By several measures, the dynasty is slipping. I can sense it in Saban's press conferences too.

But the question is, what can be done about it? I say nothing. Over Saban's tenure, so many factors have become hostile to the dynasty. Much has been said about how the landscape of college football has changed, perhaps more so than in any other 15 year period in the history of the sport. But also consider how, due to his success in recruiting and player development, more and more of his players have left for the NFL. So not only does he have to replace departing seniors every season but over time he's lost more and more underclassmen. I strongly suspect that Saban has to replace more of his roster every season than most any other coach. Moreover, he's increasingly had to also "recruit" coaches to replace his staff every off-season. No dynasty could ever survive such sport volitility (BCS to playoff, the rise of up-tempo, recruiting rules changes, player portal, NIL, etc.) as well as such high rates of attrition after EVERY SEASON among both players and coaches!

So yes, Finebaum is correct, but this is largely a result of Saban's success. Meaning, there is nothing or no one to blame.

Let's be frank, without a Heisman season from Bryce last year, we not only don't reach the natty but we probably finish with anywhere from 3-5 losses just in the regular season. Last year's team was BY FAR the worst of any Saban team to reach a natty. In fact, I'd say our 2010 Citrus Bowl team (which was finally healthy for the bowl game) and the 2013 team (McCarron's final season) both would have beaten us last season. Finebaum is making obvious and defensible points that few in establishment media have the balls to say about the GOAT. By several measures, the dynasty is slipping. I can sense it in Saban's press conferences too.

But the question is, what can be done about it? I say nothing. Over Saban's tenure, so many factors have become hostile to the dynasty. Much has been said about how the landscape of college football has changed, perhaps more so than in any other 15 year period in the history of the sport. But also consider how, due to his success in recruiting and player development, more and more of his players have left for the NFL. So not only does he have to replace departing seniors every season but over time he's lost more and more underclassmen. I strongly suspect that Saban has to replace more of his roster every season than most any other coach. Moreover, he's increasingly had to also "recruit" coaches to replace his staff every off-season. No dynasty could ever survive such sport volitility (BCS to playoff, the rise of up-tempo, recruiting rules changes, player portal, NIL, etc.) as well as such high rates of attrition after EVERY SEASON among both players and coaches!

So yes, Finebaum is correct, but this is largely a result of Saban's success. Meaning, there is nothing or no one to blame.
I agree with you 100 %. Saban has been able to sustain something that is practically unsustainable for a long period of time, much longer than we thought was possible. I believe Paul Finebaum had a comment last year after the Texas A&M loss. He stated, "The problem for Alabama is they are judged against perfection. Everyone else is judged against Alabama." Therefore, a loss creates mass hysteria by the media and fans. The standard is so high that anything less is considered failure. I thought it was a great analogy by him. He must have forgotten it. Is there going to be a decline by our standards? I guess time will tell. I'll believe it when it happens.

Saban has set such a high standards that anything less than a NC is considered a failed season. I’m guilty of that myself. That being said, I’ll take Saban on his downswing over 99% of other coaches on their upswing. Findabomb and throw it obviously wants to stir the pot for ratings. I don’t expect to see Saban joining him for an interview ever again though.

Spot on. Some in the fan base think that the best is still ahead for the dynasty and I can’t for the life of me, figure out where that idea is coming from. To say that the best is still ahead is to say that the 2020 national championship team can be topped. Or that Saban will match or even surpass what has already been accomplished. One such idea I’ve heard floated is that he’s not retiring until he’s pulled the elusive 3 peat. If a 3 peat didn’t happen when we were 2/3 of the way there, then I don’t see how it happens now, completely from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom