| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Female journalist in TV/films. "The Lazy Trope of the Unethical Female Journalist" (interesting read.)

TerryP

Staff
Caveat: I haven't made it through Sharp Objects yet. I'm up to E3. I stopped watching because it was a little deeper than I expected and I realized it wasn't going to be one I could watch while doing other things.

On that subject, slightly, here's a piece I read a few hours ago about the way female journalists are portrayed. It didn't come across as a "pity me," but as an observation from a female writer.

Excerpt:

For some reason, and despite all assurances from reporters to the contrary, Hollywood is stuck on the idea that female journalists are having sexual relationships with their bosses, their sources, or both. In 2015, Marin Cogan analyzed the phenomenon for New York magazine, lamenting the trend of depicting women reporters as “slutty ambition monsters.” Citing the characters of Zoe Barnes in House of Cards (who trades sex with Kevin Spacey’s Frank Underwood in exchange for stories) and Heather Holloway in the movie Thank You for Smoking (who seduces a lobbyist and then exposes everything he told her privately), Cogan decried the extent to which fictional portrayals of journalists influence the way people view them in reality. “Would it kill Hollywood to give us one grown-up Rory Gilmore?” she asked.

'Sharp Objects' and the Unethical Female Journalist - The Atlantic

Back
Top Bottom