| FTBL Eric Berry

He's definitely a key part to a defense that is a little scary to me. They really lay some licks from what I've seen this season.

i'd highly doubt he'd be covering Julio one-on-one. no matter how great of a player the guy is i dont think he could handle Julio one-on-one. i'd expect him to roam around the field, playing several different positions (LB, S, Nickel) and i wouldn't be shocked to see him blitzing alot. dude is a VERY rangy player. JP has got to be on the money against this guy.

BigAl said:
I bet they put him on Julio.

UT's defensive back coach, Larry Slade, has been coaching at UT since Coach Stallings was on the sidelines. There's no way on earth he would make that kind of move...and if he did, it would be the most stupid move I've seen a DB coach make in my lifetime.

You are talking about putting a safety on a wide receiver. Do you honestly think they would leave one man to cover the entire defensive backfield in a safety role? Seriously, if Berry is man on man with Julio we'll just run him out of the play every time. Neither Slade or Chavis would make that move even though their coaching acumen has been questionable, at best, this season.

If there were to man up on Julio, they would likely put Ellix Wilson (Sr. CB) on him. But, then again, that wouldn't be a good move as well considering Wilson is their leading tackler this year. (followed closely by Berry)

Having a safety up at the top of your leading tacklers isn't a bad thing for a school to have...having a CB leading the team in tackles is a sign of a front seven that isn't up to UT standards. Any team, for that matter.

----

If there is one game that JP doesn't need to be locking on to receivers it's this one. It's going to be imperative he looks off Berry when we are in passing situations.

That said, I imagine we are going to try to keep everything underneath their defensive backfield most of the game.

Don't underestimate the Chavis factor. Last year a 29 year old kid coached circles around John Chavis. McElwain is a better coach than Applewhite. He will be smart enough to (a) throw away from Berry, and (b) use his aggressiveness against him.

I fantasize about Julio catching one over the middle, giving Eric Berry one of his patented stiff arms, and leaving him sprawled on the turf as he takes it to the house.

I don't know if you guys seen it but he hit KM of georgia and laid he out. Moreno got up and looked like he was in another world.

Birdman37 said:
i'd highly doubt he'd be covering Julio one-on-one. no matter how great of a player the guy is i dont think he could handle Julio one-on-one. i'd expect him to roam around the field, playing several different positions (LB, S, Nickel) and i wouldn't be shocked to see him blitzing alot. dude is a VERY rangy player. JP has got to be on the money against this guy.

Everyone one says he could start in the nfl now...hes the best player on the team.

ORANGEADDICT said:
Birdman37 said:

Everyone one says he could start in the nfl now...hes the best player on the team.

That very well may be true. Although, if I were an NFL GM, I'd think strongly about Foster being one of the best on your roster as well despite not having a great year this season.

If Berry plays "over the top" on Julio this weekend like I suspect he's going to I'm curious to see how well he reacts when we go to the 2-3 other guys in our rotation on the other side of the field.

TerryP said:
BigAl said:
I bet they put him on Julio.

UT's defensive back coach, Larry Slade, has been coaching at UT since Coach Stallings was on the sidelines. There's no way on earth he would make that kind of move...and if he did, it would be the most stupid move I've seen a DB coach make in my lifetime.

You are talking about putting a safety on a wide receiver. Do you honestly think they would leave one man to cover the entire defensive backfield in a safety role? Seriously, if Berry is man on man with Julio we'll just run him out of the play every time. Neither Slade or Chavis would make that move even though their coaching acumen has been questionable, at best, this season.

If there were to man up on Julio, they would likely put Ellix Wilson (Sr. CB) on him. But, then again, that wouldn't be a good move as well considering Wilson is their leading tackler this year. (followed closely by Berry)

Having a safety up at the top of your leading tacklers isn't a bad thing for a school to have...having a CB leading the team in tackles is a sign of a front seven that isn't up to UT standards. Any team, for that matter.

----

If there is one game that JP doesn't need to be locking on to receivers it's this one. It's going to be imperative he looks off Berry when we are in passing situations.

That said, I imagine we are going to try to keep everything underneath their defensive backfield most of the game.

Ellix is a Senior Middle linebacker

The Berry kid is good but if I'm Chavis, I wouldn't try to take away a player that only gets 4-5 touches a game anyway and take away my best defender. The defense will get torched for more big plays in playing a man free with the free being over the top to double one man. The running game will gash them along with some big gainers from the other receivers.

uagrad93 said:
The Berry kid is good but if I'm Chavis, I wouldn't try to take away a player that only gets 4-5 touches a game anyway and take away my best defender. The defense will get torched for more big plays in playing a man free with the free being over the top to double one man. The running game will gash them along with some big gainers from the other receivers.

Great point. If we line up with Julio to one side and a TE and two wides (or three wides) to the other, if they double Julio they have to man up on the other side or else really open up the run.

Back
Top Bottom