| FTBL Destin Hood drafted by Washington...

• Thread starter imported_Porter
  • Start date
With last year's #55 pick signing for just over a half Million $, and Hood being described as a Project, does he go or does he play Football and Baseball at Bama and gamble on increasing his draft day payoff?

What say you?

LBS said:
With last year's #55 pick signing for just over a half Million $, and Hood being described as a Project, does he go or does he play Football and Baseball at Bama and gamble on increasing his draft day payoff?

What say you?

I think it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will go the MLB route.

TerryP said:
The only question I have had is do we sign 2 or 3 WR's in '09. It was never about whether Hood took the MLB route.

I'm thinking 2 right now, but if Bolton and/or Ray don't come in, I'd likely bump it to 3.

Porter said:
TerryP said:
The only question I have had is do we sign 2 or 3 WR's in '09. It was never about whether Hood took the MLB route.

I'm thinking 2 right now, but if Bolton and/or Ray don't come in, I'd likely bump it to 3.

Agreed, for the same reason you are thinking. There's still the question of Ray qualifying the last time I checked...that brings a perspective in the this question that even if he's a late pick he'll take that route.

Damn, come to think of it, I can't tell you the last time I looked to see where he was academic wise. You?

TerryP said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:

Agreed, for the same reason you are thinking. There's still the question of Ray qualifying the last time I checked...that brings a perspective in the this question that even if he's a late pick he'll take that route.

Damn, come to think of it, I can't tell you the last time I looked to see where he was academic wise. You?

I have no idea, but I figure it is iffy at best. I'm not sure he has as good of a chance at say Matchett, but I could be wrong.

I believe Destin's father said he wanted Destin to at least get paid like a first round pick (at least $1 mill) if they wanted him to play right now. We will see shortly, I guess, what Washington is willing to pay him.

gumboman said:
I believe Destin's father said he wanted Destin to at least get paid like a first round pick (at least $1 mill) if they wanted him to play right now. We will see shortly, I guess, what Washington is willing to pay him.

Considering where he was picked, it is unlikely that he'll get $1meg. Somewhere around half that seems to be the going rate.

He'll probably get between 500k and 750k. He can always come back and play football in a few years if he doesn't like where his baseball career is taking him.

Either way, best of luck to Mr. Hood.

Argo said:
He'll probably get between 500k and 750k. He can always come back and play football in a few years if he doesn't like where his baseball career is taking him.

In the last few years we've seen QB's (FSU had one) come back and play football...have we seen a WR do so? If so, who? (as in do well)

TerryP said:
Argo said:

In the last few years we've seen QB's (FSU had one) come back and play football...have we seen a WR do so? If so, who? (as in do well)

To be honest, I can't really think of one. I'll do some digging and see what I find.

Argo said:
TerryP said:
Argo said:

To be honest, I can't really think of one. I'll do some digging and see what I find.

I'm pretty sure a UT WR from a few years ago had played MiLB ball. Washington I think was his name. Alabama also had a walk on WR that had played baseball 2 or 3 years ago, he never saw the field and eventually left the team, but he was here for a season or two. I can't remember his name though. Damien Jones maybe?

Regarding Hood and his draft position; I heard that the signing bonus for a player in that range would be in the area of $500-750K. That's a lot of zeros staring a kid in the face. I couldn't blame him for playing baseball either.

Bama Bo said:
Argo said:
TerryP said:
Argo said:

I'm pretty sure a UT WR from a few years ago had played MiLB ball. Washington I think was his name. Alabama also had a walk on WR that had played baseball 2 or 3 years ago, he never saw the field and eventually left the team, but he was here for a season or two. I can't remember his name though. Damien Jones maybe?

I remembered the walk-on here, but couldn't think of one that actually contributed.

I remember Washington...IF he's the same guy that was running his mouth all the time. Gave himself his own nickname? I recall this guy and the QB getting into that year as well.

Kelly Washington. Played minor league ball then attended UT. Good freshman year, played 4 games his sophmore year and declared for the draft. Picked up by the Bengals and is now with the Pats.

Back
Top Bottom