| FTBL Could Less be More? (Sark Offense)

Tidestalker

Sark had a lot of guys to keep happy last year... From the QB on down. To put it into perspective, the greatest weapon in the Saban era was #4 on the WR depth chart. Not a shot at the coaches making the depth chart, but there was so much talent that it was actually reasonable to do so.

Between having 4 1st round receivers in the rotation, an elite RB, and the top QB prospect coming into the season... I can imagine how much pressure Sark was feeling to keep everyone happy.

Onto this year - It appears that the offense is just "smoother". Sark doesn't feel the need to "prove" Mac is the top QB in CF.... Yet his #'s are approaching that scenario. We have 2 clear cut, top tier draft eligible WR's. Our 3rd guy just blew the top off his "sleeper" status, but there is no pressure to "get him the ball" as there was with our 3rd and 4th options last year. While it's been a while since we've been great at TE, Foristall appears to be integrating smoothly. It no longer feels like a burden to get Najee his caries in between RPO slants.... He's the dominant back that can make the game easier for our QB, OL, and WR's that everyone envisioned when he signed.

Maybe I'm making too much of it, but the 'O' just feels less complicated. Not going to pretend that Mizzu and A&M are elite defenses, but I have really enjoyed the way the ball has been effortlessly spread around. Tua was GREAT... But it also came with a lot of pressure... The Mac Attack feels more comfortable. And let's hope when we play elite offenses, our defense will agree! RTR

One thing I'm concerned about I'm about the post a link to article: A few extra observations, takeaways from Alabama win over Texas A&M

-- It’s also worth noting the three passing touchdowns Alabama’s allowed this year came exclusively to tight ends and running backs.

-- On a similar note, only three true wide receivers have caught passes this year -- Smith, Waddle and Metchie. The others with catches in the first two games include RB Harris, TE Miller Forristall, RB Brian Robinson and RB Trey Sanders.

We really need to develop the depth behind QB, OL WRs and RBs and we're not really doing that right now.

Second concern is that we're throwing so much, but our running game needs to take off.

We really need to develop the depth behind QB, OL WRs and RBs and we're not really doing that right now.

Second concern is that we're throwing so much, but our running game needs to take off.
The majority of the yards have come from the passing game. However, it's not a case of "throwing so much." There have been more rushing attempts in the first two games than passing attempts (within five of each other.)

Developing depth? While the snap counts for A&M haven't been compiled as of yet, Mizzou offers a different story. They rotated seven on the offensive line during that game, two at QB, four at WR, and three at RB. We'd have seen more against A&M if they didn't score late.

What's more important right now? With limited practicing (no spring) Bama needs as much work with the 1's together as they can. That's something that we normally see worked out, albeit spread out, over the first four games when the OOC games are included.

With A&M crashing safeties, who do you want in the backfield. Najee has the most experience and is the best receiving threat.
Bryce, with limited practices, is going to slowly be moved into the games as the season progresses. He's still learning and that's not something we, as fans, are going to enjoy if that learning is happening during a game.
WR's and that rotation has to be balanced against how Bama has been playing. We've seen more of the two tight end sets than we did last season.
And, as mentioned, we're already seeing a solid seven man rotation on the line. Ekiyor showed a lot of improvement over game one and we know what we're going to see with Owens. (Randolph is doing well between the twenty's at both TE and his limited time on the line.)

While you're seeing concerns, I'm seeing development.

Two fans watching the same games and coming away with different impressions.

Robinson, in my view, is much quicker this year. His footwork has improved dramatically, and I think his vision has improved. I think he helps us tremendously down the stretch and, if so, he catches on a roster next year. The drop on the sure TD against Mizzou really hurt him.

It was nice to see Sanders have a little room to run Saturday, and I'm glad the fumble/loss at the end of the game wasn't attributed to his stats.

On the defensive side, the missed assignments were bothersome, but so many of the completions came with DBs right there, contesting a catch. Like most QBs, Monde is less accurate under pressure, perhaps a bit more so. That was my take, so I was a little surprised that they didn't dial up more pressure; however, in true fan nature, I'd probably be complaining about his scrambling yards had they done so. Bama looked to have a plan to make Monde beat us with his arm and take his legs away. Seemed to work okay. 8 carries, 19 yards (8 on one play) with no sacks and 8 QBH.

RTR,

Tim

The offense has been fantastic. I want to see 300 yards rushing like the next guy, but ATM was devoting 9 to the run. As a result, they slowed Najee down, but they also put their safeties in a bind and Sark figured it out and got WRs open for easy long TDs. Sark is really elite in knowing where to attack a defense.

Ekiyor has improved. Later in the game I think they found some schemes to hang their hat on in terms of running the ball going forward. Robinson looked good. When Trey Sanders had a carry with some space, you could see the burst he has which is unlike Najee or BRob.

Offensively, I think we are just taking what the defense gives us. The running game will be used more as the season progresses as far as ground and pound but right now, we are getting a good mix of run and pass. I am not sure what the OM DC will have up his sleeve this week but whatever it is, we need to be able to run and pass with efficiency.

Exactly!

It felt like last year, at least to me, that we were force feeding certain plays and schemes. The RPO slant stands out to me... And I understand the WR screens because of how it keeps the D stretched out, but at times they felt overused as well.

This year there aren't the same Tua RPO concepts. So it is not being force fed. Sarkisian is calling plays like a chess master. When he gets in a groove it's neat to watch.

Again, the run game needs to come along. Part of it IMO is that Najee isn't as good as other backs aligning offset the QB in the shotgun. He's at his best in the pistol or in that same alignment if the QB is under center.

Just an observation, but look at how well he ran when the offense was under C late last year with Mac, and the offense was in a tight trips formation just off the RT or LT. Najee dominated.

Sark will find the plays in the run game that they can execute and run most successfully, the most often. When he does, look out.

Back
Top Bottom