| FTBL Could Alabama feature receiver Jaylen Waddle at RB this season?

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
What do you think?

Could Alabama feature receiver Jaylen Waddle at RB this season?
Alabama still has its primary running backs in Najee Harris and Brian Robinson, but a season-ending foot injury to Trey Sanders in fall practice caused Twitter to erupt.

Many Crimson Tide fans were excited to see the five-star talent on the field, and the coaching staff had the native Floridian pegged to serve in the Josh Jacobs/Kenyan Drake-esque role.

Sanders will need surgery to repair his foot and despite the capabilities of Jerome Ford and Keilan Robinson – who both performed well in the first scrimmage – there is another idea Alabama could pursue to create production out the backfield.

Something that we have seen sort of die out/ phase out has been the use of the "wildcat". I think that is mainly in part of the fact of the RPO and so many speedy and versatile QB's..........having said that, I would love to see Waddle in that formation.....and not just snap the ball to him, so he can run it. Have several plays that could be run out of that formation. I remember several plays where the QB would still be on the field in slot or wide out.....something like that would be interesting to see. It could be one of those things like Kiffen used to do. Give you a certain look and make you think that is what we are doing.....we ran it like that the previous 6-7 times.......then boom.

I know I've seen this on the forum but I'm still going to repeat it. Smith is a fraud.

As to this stupid article? Just this week had also posted on talking about how Waddle is un-coverable as a receiver pushing him as the best on the roster. And a few days later he's saying running back.

@CoachingMSmith. Never coached a thing in his life. But, decides he's going to change his twitter handle for what, credibility? He could do that with his articles.

TDA...as bad as SDS.

It would take a lot more attrition at the position than this. Townson has been moved back to the running position again and he's much more the sensible choice. Guys like Ford and the other Robinson are the real beneficiaries and both are probably more than capable of hauling the mail.

It would take a lot more attrition at the position than this. Townson has been moved back to the running position again and he's much more the sensible choice. Guys like Ford and the other Robinson are the real beneficiaries and both are probably more than capable of hauling the mail.

Agreed! Desperate times call for desperate measures, but moving Waddle to RB because of the loss of Sanders ain't it!!!

For one, I think Jerome Ford is going to be more than capable of carrying the rock when needed, so I think we have three solid running backs that would start pretty much anywhere in the country.

Secondly, what about Slade Bolden? I'm hearing he has turned a lot of heads with his bulk gain and his abilities with the ball in his hands. As an All-Purpose Back, he is capable as well.

I think we leave Waddle alone, maybe some jet sweeps, but let these other guys get some playing time. We are more than capable with the type of recruiting we do where we don't have to recycle our bigger names every time we lose a guy and throw the new guys further away from the challenge.

4 running backs.....all 4-5*.....isnt that enough?.....unless there is another injury.....and really a fifth as @TUSKtimes said...
.....but probably not run Tua as much..... gotta make QB a threat though....?

For sure, Tua had a year where he just was getting nicked up all the time it seemed. To me though his scrambling when a passing play broke down was really something. I still remember Tua outrunning the entire defense of LSU with a huge brace on his knee for a critical TD at the time. That run was clearly long enough that you would have thought that LSU's DBs would run him down from behind, but they didn't. The guy is fast and I would say without a doubt he is flat out quicker with his first step than Jalen. He really has fast-twitch muscles and it's no doubt what helps him release the ball so quickly.

But as you mentioned, why call run plays for him? Out of the RPOs maybe it was to keep the defense honest but watching our QB hobbling off the field all day was one scary proposition.

Bless his heart Smith is an idiot. It is like he has a magic 8 ball that he shakes to come up with stupid crap to write about

Najee seems to be getting overlooked a little IMO. I think UA has good backs behind him but I also think he is poised to step up this year.

His articles lately has been horrible. He is not consistent with his reporting. He stays all over the place coming up with stupid articles that doesn't make sense.

It would've been better if he discussed the possibilities of Plays in empty formation, but this article isn't it. I really wish people would stop posting articles by Smith. He is constantly getting roasted by folks on social media. Now, I will give him one credit: He does drop few nuggets here and there once in a while. He has broken news time to time... Even through he has been wrong more than he has been right.

Now, I will give him one credit: He does drop few nuggets here and there once in a while. He has broken news time to time...
Honestly, when? I don't remember him stating a thing that wasn't already known. Seriously, I can't think of a single piece of news he's broken.

He's no different than Larry Burton; unsourced and prone to make things up out of the blue.

He did break a new a while back of a player transferring and folks were laughing at him until that player transferred. I can't remember who that was... It was a while back... I'm not saying he was a trusted reporter because he is not.

He did break a new a while back of a player transferring and folks were laughing at him until that player transferred. I can't remember who that was... It was a while back... I'm not saying he was a trusted reporter because he is not.
Post is ironic.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying I don't remember him being right about a transfer.

I do remember him publishing an article saying Josh McMillon (or should I have said coincidence instead of ironic?) was transferring. Josh shot that down and it was pretty well known it was bullshit from the get-go. If you want an answer to how close he is to players around the program? Josh was at a freakin' funeral, a family funeral, and Smith throws the 'transfer' out there.

@CoachingMSmith. Never coached a thing in his life. But, decides he's going to change his twitter handle for what, credibility? He could do that with his articles.
This is a question I believe should be asked of him. Fraud? That may be a strong word to use. But then again...

From this day on, I'll be referred to as Sir TerryP. Step aside Sean Connery, Bono, Elton, Michael Caine ... :rolleyes:

Something that we have seen sort of die out/ phase out has been the use of the "wildcat". I think that is mainly in part of the fact of the RPO and so many speedy and versatile QB's..........having said that, I would love to see Waddle in that formation.....and not just snap the ball to him, so he can run it. Have several plays that could be run out of that formation. I remember several plays where the QB would still be on the field in slot or wide out.....something like that would be interesting to see. It could be one of those things like Kiffen used to do. Give you a certain look and make you think that is what we are doing.....we ran it like that the previous 6-7 times.......then boom.

Jacobs played "Wildcat" last year....

I would LOVE to see Waddle in a Tyrone Prothro/David Palmer type role lining up all over the field. Matchup nightmare.

Post is ironic.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying I don't remember him being right about a transfer.

I do remember him publishing an article saying Josh McMillon (or should I have said coincidence instead of ironic?) was transferring. Josh shot that down and it was pretty well known it was bullshit from the get-go. If you want an answer to how close he is to players around the program? Josh was at a freakin' funeral, a family funeral, and Smith throws the 'transfer' out there.
That is the person I was thinking of. Thanks for clearing it up!

Post is ironic.

Yeah, I remember that. He takes little pieces of information that are fact (Josh missed practice) and spins it to this big story that if he is right he will get "points" for "breaking" and if not he'll just say his "sources" were incorrect (or just delete the post/tweet all together). I remember one story that he wrote the headline said that all of the Alabama players on the Redskins went to the front office and convinced them to sign Reuben Foster, but then you read the body of the story and there is not one single sentence that even suggests that actually happening. Lets also not forget his "breaking news" tweet where he took supposed "insider info" from a message board (word for word mind you) and used it as a "source" for his "scoop" that Jalen would start against Louisville.

Back
Top Bottom