| FTBL Colt McCoy, Mark Ingram debate ‘what would’ve happened’ without injury in 2010 national championship

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Colt McCoy, Mark Ingram debate ‘what would’ve happened’ without injury in 2010 national championship

Colt McCoy and Mark Ingram debated what would’ve happened without the QB’s injury in the TexasAlabama national championship game.
Ingram maintained that Alabama still beats Texas in the game. Texas fans aren’t so sure.

McCoy didn’t quite say that Texas would’ve won if he played the whole game, but he certainly insinuated the game would’ve been different.
“What would have happened, man, what would have happened Mark,” McCoy asked on The Triple Option.
“We still would be in the same position we are today,” Ingram said with a laugh. “It’s much love … But when you went down, we had a plan for you, you know what I mean? We studied tape. We had a plan for you. When you went down, it threw a wrench.”

That’s when fellow host Urban Meyer asked McCoy straight up, what would’ve happened?
“I mean, I just, I think we would have scored some points,” McCoy said. “I think, you know, Mark probably wouldn’t got as much touches, because they’d have to spread him out and throw the ball. And as you know, we felt pretty good going in that game too.”
That’s when Meyer asked McCoy “bottom line?” McCoy could only shake his head and bury his hands when he was asked if he’d have a big fat ring, winning a title.

“I’m happy for Mark. If there was anybody that was going to come out on top, you know Mark had a heck of a career,” McCoy said. “And then translated that into the NFL. Played a lot of lot of football, a lot of good teams. I mean, you know, every week when we were playing teams that Mark was on, he knew he was going to get about 15 or 20 carries, and you better buckle up, right?

“They’re going to keep the ball. They were going to run the clock, right? As a quarterback, you know, playing against them, whatever team Mark is on, you’re gonna have to score points.”

Alabama won 37-21 with McCoy just throwing two passes, completing both, for nine yards. He injured his right shoulder on the first drive of the game and replaced by Garrett Gilbert.
“We called option to the left, and Saban blitzed the nickel off the edge and took the back away, so I had to, like, kind of duck it up in there,” McCoy said. “And as soon as I kind of put my foot down, I just, they collided with me. It just caught me the right, wasn’t like a crazy hit. Just caught me the right way, folded me, and just my whole right side just went completely numb.

“And I mean, to be fully honest, like, I’ve dealt with that injury my whole career. It’s something that I’ve had to, like, stay on top of. If I sleep wrong, it’s like same deal. So I’m reminded of that all the time.”

With Tex in the SEC this was a big topic several weeks ago on the Rant. (With Tex fan's whining like the bitches that they are)

It was the first series. I heard Saban say that when you face teams the first 18 or so plays (scripted) are when you see new looks, etc from teams both Offensively and Defensively. After that, teams settle in to their "tendencies". We started slow and made a few errors early on (fake punt), but that was all corrected. I think the fake was because Muschamp had worked with Saban in the past and knew something as far as the way they (UT) lined up on ST, that we would automatically fake the punt.

Either way, the vaunted UTex D had not given up a 100 yard game rusher all year, and we had two in that game. Last time I checked, Colt don't play on the defense.

Longhorn fans love to bring up Colt and the what if's, yet forget that McElroy was playing the entire game with 2 broken ribs. Not bruised, broken (which were broken in the SECCG and he didn't throw another pass again that game). The game plan for Texas was altered because he was limited in terms of what he could do... it was basically a, win at the line of scrimmage and run! gameplan. He got shot up with the "good stuff" before the game to help with the pain, and the rest is history.

And I understand that the what if's and and such are longtime sticking points with fans... we do it too on our end some. Hell, UGA has been on the right side of some big what if's, that have had a huge impact on their recent titles... It's part of it. Bottom line, trophy is the trophy.

Longhorn fans love to bring up Colt and the what if's, yet forget that McElroy was playing the entire game with 2 broken ribs. Not bruised, broken (which were broken in the SECCG and he didn't throw another pass again that game). The game plan for Texas was altered because he was limited in terms of what he could do... it was basically a, win at the line of scrimmage and run! gameplan. He got shot up with the "good stuff" before the game to help with the pain, and the rest is history.

And I understand that the what if's and and such are longtime sticking points with fans... we do it too on our end some. Hell, UGA has been on the right side of some big what if's, that have had a huge impact on their recent titles... It's part of it. Bottom line, trophy is the trophy.
Injuries are as much part of game as missed field goals...they happen...
It affects outcomes...move on...( and Bama fans know about missed FGs)...

Bama fans can say same...lost Metchie and then Williams.... UGA couldn't cover Williams in NC game.... when he went down the rest of receivers developed concrete hands......

Part of game...and when the CFPs are 16. Gonna be a lot of games affected by injuries

The futility of hypotheticals aside, you really can’t assume Colt stays healthy even if you take back that one play. The facts are (a) he was diminutive, (b) their offense relied on his mobility at times, and (c) Big XII Ds allowed for a small statured QB to stay healthy carrying the ball. But against Bama he was facing probably the most physically imposing D front in the country that season. In my opinion, the only way he doesn’t eventually get injured in that game is by not carrying the ball and not getting sacked. And that would have removed a critical threat in their offense similar to how Tebow’s run threat made UF lethal. Besides it’s not like our QB was healthy. Greg couldn’t throw due to fractured ribs from the SEC title game which was kept a secret. And despite not generating a pass threat, the Texas D couldn’t prevent Bama finishing with two 100-yard rushers. Pretty sure Texas statistically shared the best run D with us that season. Just shows the difference in physicality between the UT and UA rosters. See Teo’s comments about Fluker, Warmack and company in the Natty three years later.

Back
Top Bottom