| FTBL Coach Sark's Big Stupid Mouth

bama alum

Good luck staying relevant, Coach... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve Sarkisian provides humorous response when asked if Alabama players go to class

Big expectations for the Texas Longhorns football programs are always there, but it seems the stakes have been raised a little higher with Steve Sarkisian as the new head coach. Sarkisian, who served as offensive coordinator at Alabama for each of the two previous seasons, arrived in Austin on the heels of the Crimson Tide’s 2020 national championship.

Sarkisian directed one of the most explosive offenses in college football history a season ago. He helped turn Mac Jones into a first-round NFL Draft pick, opened the door for DeVonta Smith to become the first receiver to win the Heisman in almost 30 years and put running back Najee Harris in position to win the Doak Walker Award.

When asked about the town of Tuscaloosa, Ala., Sarkisian gave a blunt and humorous response.

The new Texas coach was the guest speaker at a recent Houston Touchdown Club luncheon. And according to The Athletic’s Sam Khan, someone in the crowd asked “Do they ever go to class at Alabama?” Sark’s response: “Well yeah. All they have in Tuscaloosa is football and class and there ain’t s*** else to do.”

Sarkisian was hired at Texas following the firing of Tom Herman, who was 32-18 in four seasons as Longhorns head coach. Texas was 7-3 in 2020, and with four-year starting quarterback Sam Ehlinger off to the NFL, Sarkisian will ride with either Hudson Card or Casey Thompson as the starter this fall.

But former Oklahoma coach and current FOX Sports college football analyst Bob Stoops said a massive rebuild at Texas is not necessary.

Stoops, during an appearance earlier this month on The Herd with Colin Cowherd, pushed back against the idea that Texas is entering a "rebuild" given the existing talent in place, and said he expects the outcome of the Sarkisian era to ultimately be dictated by how successful the staff is at player development.

“I don’t know why it would be a huge rebuild," Stoops told Cowherd. "They’ve had the top recruiting class (from 2018-2020) in the Big 12 and it’s been top 10 nationally, so they have players, unlike when we walked in at Oklahoma. I don’t think that was the case.

"Bottom line, they have players. To me, it’s about development and I do believe — I agree with you — I think Steve Sarkisian’s a really great coach, he’s got a really great track record and I believe he’ll do really well. Hopefully just not as well as Oklahoma.”

Entering Sarkisian's first season, Texas, despite consistently boasting one of the Big 12's top recruiting classes, has not won the conference in more than a decade. The last conference title for the Longhorns came in 2009, with the Longhorns defeating Nebraska before falling to Nick Saban and Alabama in that year's BCS National Championship Game. Texas returned to the Big 12 Championship Game for the first time since 2009 in 2018, but fell to none other than Oklahoma.

247Sports’ Dean Straka contributed to this story

Ttown. Hunting and fishing. National forest less than hour away. Swamps west of town full of great fishing holes
Lake Lurleen state park.

lake Tuscaloosa is beautiful warm water lake

shopping paradise for the ladies

great places to eat and drink

beautiful campus

been to Austin. Nothing impressive about that part of Texas. At all

He was talking to Texas folks and it’s his job to energize the fan base, recruits, boosters, etc. I don’t see anything wrong with anything he said

Talking poorly of the town that resurrected your career is just poor. It's one thing to say you're gonna kick our ass, it's another to say the town that accepted and celebrated you, as well as paying you millions is worthless outside of school and football. I'm not hating him for this, I just think it's tacky and you wonder if he really learned any humility under Saban.

Doesn't this say more about the state of football at Texas than it does about Sark himself? Think about it. What do fan bases automatically go to when they aren't experiencing the same success as another program? Here it's Texas following the footsteps of many a B1G program; academics as a fall back.

And...."do players at alabama go to class"......the old thing...can read it in every fan base that their team sux..see Tennessee...Texas...etc
If alabama is so good...they must be flitting the rules by not having players go to class...and/or other improprieties....
And our team...is holy and play by the rules...that's why we atent good...
..stupid stupid

Doesn't this say more about the state of football at Texas than it does about Sark himself? Think about it. What do fan bases automatically go to when they aren't experiencing the same success as another program? Here it's Texas following the footsteps of many a B1G program; academics as a fall back.

And...."do players at alabama go to class"......the old thing...can read it in every fan base that their team sux..see Tennessee...Texas...etc
If alabama is so good...they must be flitting the rules by not having players go to class...and/or other improprieties....
And our team...is holy and play by the rules...that's why we atent good...
..stupid stupid
Pete and Repete here But this.

This wasn’t the fan base saying it. It was Sark saying it and “confirming” it. He could have said a number of things that would have made the TX fans happy. He chose to criticize Tuscaloosa.

Back
Top Bottom