| NEWS CECIL HURT: Answers not easy for this football scheduling quiz - TideSports.com

B

Bama News

This pop quiz is being given because, as is natural in the college football information wasteland of late June, one of the annual topics is scheduling, who is scheduling whom and, invariably, what kind of non-conference schedule Alabama is playing.

The topic came up again Saturday and attracted enough attention that Alabama director of athletics Greg Byrne took to social media to state the UA position.

“Scheduling is challenging,” Byrne said via Twitter. “It takes two teams to make it work where there is mutual interest and dates that work.
“We are very appreciative of the schools who have agreed to H&H series (TX, WVU, ND & OU). Working on more & occasional neutral.”

Not to rip off Rob Base without giving proper credit, but the key phrase is “It Takes Two.”

So on with the quiz.

First, what is the appropriate number of Power Five teams for Alabama to be playing? Nine? Ten? Twelve?

Before you answer, here are some facts. Because all of its natural rivals are members of the Southeastern Conference, Alabama does not have an automatic ninth game built into its schedule annually, unlike Florida, Georgia or South Carolina. In order to get even a ninth game with a Power Five opponent, Alabama has to work.

The neutral site hosts try to help. So do the television networks. Does anyone remember the “Greatest Opener Of All Time” hype that surrounded the Florida State game just two years ago? Everyone wants to see Alabama play big games — and that includes Alabama. There are 51 teams available to Alabama for Power 5 non-conference games. The other 13 SEC teams do not count; ACC affiliate Notre Dame does.

So, Question Two: how many of those remaining 50 teams (with Duke already scheduled) want to schedule a home-and-home with Alabama? It’s hard to get a precise answer, although this is a fact: any Power Five team that is eager to play such a series will get a return call from Byrne if they make that intention public. Furthermore, if people don’t regard Duke as good enough, how many teams are “good enough?” Is Duke a better game than Georgia Tech? Duke certainly would have been in 2018, judging by the scoreboard.

That’s not to imply anyone is ducking anyone else. Teams have to be wise about who they play, and when, and where. Given the logistics, Alabama would probably have to think hard about a Week Two road trip to Seattle, for instance. It is possible, as Alabama showed in 1978. Back in those days of just six SEC games (and 11 total games), Alabama’s non-conference schedule was — hang on to your hat — Nebraska, at Missouri, Southern Cal, at Washington and Virginia Tech. And I am sure someone somewhere complained about Alabama playing Virginia Tech.

Third, what does Nick Saban advocate? Here is the cheat sheet for that: he advocates nine SEC games. He advocates 12 Power Five games, as long as all Power Five schools agree to do the same. The rest of the league — or at least a majority of the schools — have yet to support expanding the number of SEC games.

People can feel free to criticize some aspects of Alabama’s schedule. The FCS opponent? I’d agree on that point. The SEC schedule is out of UA’s control (and will probably get less social media heat next year, when Georgia rotates on for a game in Tuscaloosa.) Just remember, when you do, that it’s not just Alabama that you are criticizing.

So how much of this is actually out of the control of Alabama or any SEC team? Not much. Wisconsin, Michigan State wanted a home and home, remember? Greg Bynes might lose a little sleep trying to figure out who the next neutral site team is going to be but something tells me the H and H series, not so much. And yes the FCS teams are still the elephant in the room. These teams have never been on Bama's schedule as a benevolent gesture to the financial benefits of keeping them in business. They are nothing more than bowl eligible leverage for those who need their 6 wins and nothing more than strategy breathers for Bama. If Bama was in the benevolent business they would at least try to financially benefit the FCS in-state teams.

So how much of this is actually out of the control of Alabama or any SEC team? Not much. Wisconsin, Michigan State wanted a home and home, remember?
And Alabama wanted a series, played at neutral sites, because it was a sound business decision for monetary value and exposure. As Michigan State's AD stated, "they wanted a neutral site game, they got a neutral site game." Even the opposition knew the benefits of playing this way. And yet fans still don't get basic, common, business principles.

And Alabama wanted a series, played at neutral sites, because it was a sound business decision for monetary value and exposure. As Michigan State's AD stated, "they wanted a neutral site game, they got a neutral site game." Even the opposition knew the benefits of playing this way. And yet fans still don't get basic, common, business principles.

What self-respecting Bama fan is actually stumbling over that? This is another Cecil Hurt Bama piece that allows him to continue his assignment as the voice of the Tide. In reality, not much was said and certainly nothing close to new light. When Cecil doesn't just pay token homage to the real schedule issue, FCS teams, by suggesting it bothers him as well, I'll be a lot more impressed. Suppose he had taken the bandwidth to take a painful deep dive into how ridiculous it is to keep playing small schools and quit disguising it under the pretense of, Gee, nobody wants to play us.

What self-respecting Bama fan is actually stumbling over that? This is another Cecil Hurt Bama piece that allows him to continue his assignment as the voice of the Tide. In reality, not much was said and certainly nothing close to new light. When Cecil doesn't just pay token homage to the real schedule issue, FCS teams, by suggesting it bothers him as well, I'll be a lot more impressed. Suppose he had taken the bandwidth to take a painful deep dive into how ridiculous it is to keep playing small schools and quit disguising it under the pretense of, Gee, nobody wants to play us.
You are a troll. The idea of you using "self-respecting Bama fan" is absurd considering the lack of respect you've continuously displayed towards players, coaches, and administrators. And here again, trolling with comments like "quit disguising it under the pretense of, Gee, nobody wants to play us" when we've had three athletic directors and the current head coach mention the difficulty. It's been proven by people here how difficult it is to line up schedules and it's only getting worse.

Your bullshit? A monopoly.

You are a troll. The idea of you using "self-respecting Bama fan" is absurd considering the lack of respect you've continuously displayed towards players, coaches, and administrators. And here again, trolling with comments like "quit disguising it under the pretense of, Gee, nobody wants to play us" when we've had three athletic directors and the current head coach mention the difficulty. It's been proven by people here how difficult it is to line up schedules and it's only getting worse.

Your bullshit? A monopoly.

Just keeping it real. The fact that you struggle with reality could be a thread in itself. The reality is that truth is hard to come by and stumbling over it is next to impossible. Anyone can be a Bama fanatic, doesn't mean he or she has to adopt the politician's way that they can only come to the conclusions their party tells them to.

The most awesome thing in the universe is the human brain. I suggest you try to fill it up with info that offers a sense of practical/abstract thinking. Getting all emotional just makes you look like everyone else.

Just keeping it real. The fact that you struggle with reality could be a thread in itself. The reality is that truth is hard to come by and stumbling over it is next to impossible. Anyone can be a Bama fanatic, doesn't mean he or she has to adopt the politician's way that they can only come to the conclusions their party tells them to.

The most awesome thing in the universe is the human brain. I suggest you try to fill it up with info that offers a sense of practical/abstract thinking. Getting all emotional just makes you look like everyone else.
And with this post you've only built another lean-to. This time on White Chapel Road next to your property on Baltic. You've been tossing bull shit for a long time and you're calling it "keeping it real?" Again, 🐂 :poop:

"You are an excellent example of the Internet age, with its million of faux experts, each ignorant of their ignorance. All you have is an unfounded opinion, and an internet connection, which you seem to think is enough to turn guesswork into actual knowledge."

And with this post you've only built another lean-to. This time on White Chapel Road next to your property on Baltic. You've been tossing bull shit for a long time and you're calling it "keeping it real?" Again, 🐂 :poop:

"You are an excellent example of the Internet age, with its million of faux experts, each ignorant of their ignorance. All you have is an unfounded opinion, and an internet connection, which you seem to think is enough to turn guesswork into actual knowledge."

You could have spent your valuable time going into specifics on just how I came to all these wrong conclusions. But that would have taken facts and logic. Something you seem to be a day late and a dollar short on, regularly. By the way, you did know, when Cecil Hurt wrote his article, that he knew the sheep would follow? Of course you didn't.

But that would have taken facts and logic.
Last summer, you consistently were slamming Jalen trying to analyze plays, routes, and other things about his game. You were consistently proven wrong. And, in the end, blatantly wrong.

A few weeks ago in a conversation you were slamming Golding. When it was brought to your attention the staff rebuild was following the lines of putting a lot of teachers in place you immediately jumped to say "recruiting was being ignored." You were wrong then and are being proven wrong over and over again with this class.

You've talked about the schedule and have been told you were wrong. But, never mind the facts to prove such. You've consistently slammed that Administration at Bama for their scheduling while ignoring the facts.

A person doesn't have to be logical to see where and how often you've been wrong. They don't have to be clairvoyant to see the angst and anger you displayed towards all the groups mentioned above. It's clearly seen.

And you're continuing down the same road: Wrong Way Charlie is what should be assigned to you for a monicker.

Don't cling to your mistakes even though you've spent so much time and effort making them.

Last summer, you consistently were slamming Jalen trying to analyze plays, routes, and other things about his game. You were consistently proven wrong. And, in the end, blatantly wrong.

Who gets to decide if I'm right or wrong on Jalen throwing the ball? You do know that he's spending his senior season in Norman? I can only conclude that whatever I said, coach Saban agrees with me.

A few weeks ago in a conversation you were slamming Golding. When it was brought to your attention the staff rebuild was following the lines of putting a lot of teachers in place you immediately jumped to say "recruiting was being ignored." You were wrong then and are being proven wrong over and over again with this class.

You may have to go to the trouble of digging up my quotes on Golding. Offhand, I liked the changes in the new staff. The only questions I had about Golding were the issues that Mack Wilson was having getting plays communicated for the defense throughout the season. That and the middle of our defense was giving up big plays against spread teams and I don't feel it was a talent issue at ILBer. Still, don't.

You've talked about the schedule and have been told you were wrong. But, never mind the facts to prove such. You've consistently slammed that Administration at Bama for their scheduling while ignoring the facts.

Be specific. Being told I was wrong is the equivalent of someone voicing a different opinion, like you. Not sure that makes anyone wrong. Just how they happen to feel about it.

A person doesn't have to be logical to see where and how often you've been wrong. They don't have to be clairvoyant to see the angst and anger you displayed towards all the groups mentioned above. It's clearly seen.

Perhaps you're too sensitive. Maybe you just don't dig my personality. How about this? Maybe no ones right or wrong and the only issue is really if you happen to agree. And what does it really matter?

And you're continuing down the same road: Wrong Way Charlie is what should be assigned to you for a monicker.

Don't cling to your mistakes even though you've spent so much time and effort making them.

You know if you spent more time on proving it as opposed to simply saying it you could get a lot more substantial research done. Cause once you know, it's a whole new world out there.

Here's another Bama guy you can call a liar. :oops:

Dude, are you chewing on the wacky weed or what? Hardly an in-depth rebuttal of how Bama or any SEC team goes about making a schedule. If the person in the tweet is making reference to our game with Duke, so what? A lot of Bama fans have complained about that on this forum. If the University felt that they got the short of the stick in Atlanta, it has probably been the impetus to start scheduling some home and home with some football powers. Then Duke might serve us well in the future. We actually ran into the same thing in 2013 when we opened with VaTech again and they were not a good football team.

Perhaps the twitter dude is mentioning SC, Georgia, and Florida in the SEC because they all have 2, power 5 teams in their OOC schedule this year. But who knows?

I would suggest that the fact Bama has gone another direction from Duke would clearly show that the correction and ability to schedule someone else of higher quality is not out of our ADs control.

Back
Top Bottom