| FTBL California Recruiting Just Became More Difficult

bama alum

Lincoln Riley just must be a magic man...Still, California is nearly broke. How can these schools affor...Oh! Higher tuition rates?

California state legislators proposed a bill that would require schools in the state to split 50% of its athletic revenue in football and both men's and women's basketball with the athletes, according to The Los Angeles Times. Senate Bill 1401, titled as the “College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act," was passed through the California Senate education and judiciary committees and now sits with the appropriations committee, who are set to make the call Thursday on whether or not the bill will reach the Senate floor in Sacramento, per The Times.

The Times reports that California schools, if the bill becomes law, would create a degree completion fund for each athlete, with money from the fund made available soon after they complete their degrees. Athletes would forfeit the fund if they do not complete their degree within six years. Players would have immediate access to no more than $25,000 each year, while the rest of their funds would build over time before they receive that additional money.

In regards to how the bill accounts for transfers — which there have been many in the era of NIL and the one-time transfer rule — the bill states if an athlete transfers to another California institution, the degree completion fund will carry over to the new school, per The Times. Out of state transfers from California schools, however, will forfeit their share of the fund. It is not clear what parameters would be in place for those who transfer into California institutions from out-of-state schools.

Sigh. Whatever happened to amateur athletics?
The powers that be killed it with the NIL and the transfer portal. It’s always the same with these feel good policies. The morons implement a solution without any regard whatsoever for the possible unintended consequences. Of course, once you give someone money the genie can never be put back in the bottle. So, like with every other feel good policy these will eventually cause much more harm than good and will destroy the very institutions they initially sought to help.

Why or how would this apply to private schools such as Stanford and USC? If it doesn't apply, then the writer didn't do his homework. Which begs the question. When has one of them done their homework? Even Finebum chimed in with a remark about Stanford. As my dear old departed Dad was want to say. Neither one of them knows their ass from a hole in the ground.

Last edited:
College football is going to price itself out of my price range. Where will it end?
Back in the day we were told to, as an athlete, to work hard and earn a scholarship. As an academic told the same thing. One got payed by earning a scholarship.
I say, if an athlete is getting cash money then they should pay their damn tuition!!!! I worked 3 jobs to pay for college!😡

Go read this. It is a race based law trying to force minority students to finish their degree. And this would be all schools in California as it does not say state schools but all "institution(s) of higher education"

1) Data clearly shows that college athletes of color in the sports of football and men’s basketball have graduated at rates lower than those of other students, other athletes, and their teammates.
(2) Scholars have concluded that Black college athletes as a group often experience educational neglect due to a range of issues, including the lack of adequate academic learning support, practices associated with maintaining athletic eligibility instead of academic advancement, academic clustering, and limitations placed on course selections and academic majors.
(a) (1) An institution of higher education shall establish a degree completion fund for each of its student athletes in accordance with applicable rules and bylaws of the governing body of the institution and applicable rules and bylaws of any athletic association of which the institution is a member.
(2) A student athlete who completes an undergraduate baccalaureate degree within six years from when the student athlete first enrolls at an institution of higher education shall receive the balance of their degree completion fund within 60 days of showing proof of degree completion.

Go read this. It is a race based law trying to force minority students to finish their degree. And this would be all schools in California as it does not say state schools but all "institution(s) of higher education"

None of this has anything to do with a NPS as defined by the State of California. Any reference to an "institution(s) of higher education" would pertain only to public schools. See #11 also.

In California, no state agency licenses, regulates, or oversees private schools, except for NPS as described in #10, above.Feb 11, 2022

Last edited:
None of this has anything to do with a NPS as defined by the State of California. Any reference to an "institution(s) of higher education" would pertain only to public schools. See #11 also.

In California, no state agency licenses, regulates, or oversees private schools, except for NPS as described in #10, above.Feb 11, 2022
That appears to apply to K-12 schools. First part:

"A private school is a private business or nonprofit entity that offers or conducts full-time instruction with a full complement of subjects at the elementary, middle, or high school level."

That appears to apply to K-12 schools. First part:

"A private school is a private business or nonprofit entity that offers or conducts full-time instruction with a full complement of subjects at the elementary, middle, or high school level."
You are correct. The following does apply to Universities and although there is plenty of legalease, it appears almost all private schools are exempt from their legislation.

Oversight of Private Colleges in California​

2009 Legislation Created New Regulatory Structure

After a number of failed attempts to create a new regulatory structure, the Legislature and Governor passed Chapter 310, Statutes of 2009 (AB 48, Portantino), the California Private Postsecondary Education Act (Private Postsecondary Act). The new act created the current Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Bureau) under DCA to oversee the state’s private postsecondary schools and established a single set of rules for institutions subject to state oversight.

Institutions Currently Exempt From Bureau Oversight

Exemptions Relying on Some Form of Accreditation:
Colleges and universities accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Institutions accredited by another regional accrediting agency.
Accredited nonprofit institutions that have operated in the state for at least 25 years, have student loan default rates below 10 percent, and meet certain other requirements, including maintaining specified financial ratios and refund policies.
Accredited nonprofit workforce development and rehabilitation services.
Law schools accredited or approved by the American Bar Association or Committee of Bar Examiners of the California State Bar.
Other Exemptions:
Schools sponsored and operating for a business, professional, or fraternal organization.
Federal– or state–operated institutions.
Purely avocational or recreational schools.
Religious schools not offering secular degrees.
Flight instruction schools that do not require prepayment in excess of $2,500.
Schools charging less than $2,500 for educational programs and not offering degrees.
Schools offering test or license examination preparation.

California is "nearly broke" with a $95 billion surplus. Wish I was that "broke."
Not sure where you get your data, but according to USdebtclock.org, California is about $542 billion in debt. Its in-state revenue is about $667 billion and its spending is about $712 billion for a running deficit of about $46 billion. Average debt per citizen is about $14,000.

Not sure where you get your data, but according to USdebtclock.org, California is about $542 billion in debt. Its in-state revenue is about $667 billion and its spending is about $712 billion for a running deficit of about $46 billion. Average debt per citizen is about $14,000.

I am most likely incorrect in the long run here, but Capital Gains increases and taxes grew substantially during the market surge and housing boom, but I imagine those statistics are set to decrease a good bit the the poor performance the last year and with rising borrowing rates.

1653331276320.png

I hope that’s true … but I think it’s different this time. Saban or more importantly Bama doesn’t have billionaire boosters like Texas, A$M, USC, Oregon and several other schools have … or at least none I know about. So, I really think Saban sees a problem looming for his program and for many, many others as well. The state of Alabama has the best high school recruiting class coming up in sometime. Yet, some recruiting “experts” are predicting Bama might only lock up 3 of the top 8 because of NIL. Saban knows Bama boosters can’t go dollar for dollar against the A$M’s and Texas’s of college football (both of which will be in his division) and he knows and has proven players win championships. So, I don’t think this is like the other issues he complained about then exploited. I think he really meant for his speech to wake up coaches at other programs, legislators around the nation, university Presidents that aren’t in Texas or on the West Coast and the fans who don’t yet see the dangers of NIL. Is that self serving on his part? You bet … but he’s paid to follow the rules and always keep Bama in the championship hunt. The NIL has very few enforceable rules … and more loopholes than a 50 year old fish net. Left as it is, the college football we knew and loved will not be recognizable in a few short years.

Did you fine gentlemen even read the articles you attached? It is an "expected" budget surplus for the new fiscal year that Newsome is proposing based on expected increases in tax collection. Even if it's true, that is one fiscal year surplus.

See my link below. It is real time actual, not "expected." California carries more debt than any other state and most countries and even with one year of surplus they will still have more debt than any other state.

Yes, California's budget surplus is temporary, due to Federal largess, and will be fleeting as Newsom is looking to redistribute it over shoring up the public employee pension fund.

Going over this thread I was trying to understand how they were broke as hell a number of years ago, and all of a sudden sitting with a surplus the past couple. I noticed others in Newsome's office were trying to get him to pay down debt, which would save >$300M over the years, but then Goldman was in there trying to get him to create more debt with that cash. I did see where he wanted to distribute those funds to the taxpayers, but it definitely seems like the best option of paying off debt and saving money moving forward is the last option he is entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom