| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Brandon Miller’s Double-Double Leads Alabama to a 78-66 Win at Vanderbilt

Couple of things... for one, I'm just glad Bama got the win. 1 point, 30 points, didn't matter tonight. Second, Oats has handled this Miles situation amazingly well. For a guy that shoots from the hip and doesn't come with a filter installed, he has been really impressive in how he has handled it. That interview after the game with the SEC Network was perfectly done, and it was genuine which made it so.

The D was a thing of beauty for 35 minutes of the game then it wasn't. Ended up giving up 40 points in the 2nd half. At one time they had held Vandy to under 25% shooting. The D and how they were switching was outstanding. They just did not shoot as well or close things out. Really only Miller had a great offensive night. Everyone else was off. The team had to win a somewhat ugly game. Made a lot of tough shots that I think fouls shoiuld have also been called. Bradley is one strong poing guard. He gets bumped by some big bodies but he is still able to score. Nice option to have when needed.

No way teams of the past would have won that game but this team won by double digits and should have won by more. Roll Tide!!!!

Couple of things... for one, I'm just glad Bama got the win. 1 point, 30 points, didn't matter tonight. Second, Oats has handled this Miles situation amazingly well. For a guy that shoots from the hip and doesn't come with a filter installed, he has been really impressive in how he has handled it. That interview after the game with the SEC Network was perfectly done, and it was genuine which made it so.
First question from the SEC network guys was about the shooting! Man, his team beat Vandy to go 5-0 in the SEC.

Here’s a clip of the postgame interview for those that missed it…

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Alabama freshman Brandon Miller recorded his fourth double-double to lead No. 4/4 Alabama to its sixth consecutive win to start Southeastern Conference play, defeating Vanderbilt 78-66 Tuesday night at Memorial Gymnasium.

With the win, Alabama improved to 16-2 overall and 6-0 in SEC play, making it the second time UA has achieved the feat under head coach Nate Oats and seventh time in program history. Meanwhile, Vanderbilt falls to 9-9 on the year and 2-3 in the league.

Playing in front of his hometown fans, Miller, a native of Antioch, Tenn., delivered one of his best performances this season with a game-high 30 points and 10 rebounds. Jaden Bradley and Noah Gurley each added 12 points in the win, as the Crimson Tide improved to 16-2 on the season.

Vanderbilt was led by Tyrin Lawrence's 20 points and three assists, while Jordan Wright added 15 points and a team-high six boards.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"(Vanderbilt) really plays hard and I have got a ton of respect for them. We got up big on them last year and they cut it to two, we got up 15 on them in the SEC Tournament and they came back and beat us by double-digits. They never quit. They play hard. I like coach (Jerry) Stackhouse and (I think) he runs some of the best stuff in the league.

"I thought our guys really played hard, played well and played together for large parts of the game. In light of the circumstances we are under, I am really proud of the mental toughness that some of our guys showed. I think we did a good job of getting the group together and they did a good job of getting themselves together. We had a really good practice yesterday and had a good walk through today and came out here and opened the game well and built a lead. It would have been nice if we didn't give up a few runs that we gave them to make it close but in spite of what we have gone through I thought our guys played really well tonight."

TEAM STATS​

• Alabama became the fourth team in the last 50 years to start conference play by winning each of its first six contests by double figures (+20.8 scoring margin) joining Kentucky (twice – 1977-78 and 1994-95) and Florida (2012-13)
  • Brandon Miller collected his third 30-point game of the season joins former standout Collin Sexton as the only Alabama freshman to achieve the feat in the last 15 seasons
  • Miller connected on 10-of-16 shots from the floor and 4-of-9 from beyond the arc on his way to his seventh 20-point game of the season
  • Alabama hit 14-of-17 (82.4 percent) from the free throw line including hitting all 10 of its chances in the final five minutes
  • UA owned a 47-43 edge on the glass marking the 14th time this season the Tide has won the battle of the boards (12-2)

FIRST HALF​

• Alabama used a 12-0 run to turn a one-point deficit (22-21) to a 11-point lead (33-22) with 3:42 left in the half
  • The Tide went on to take a 10-point 36-26 lead into the locker room
  • Alabama shot 43 percent from the field while limiting Vanderbilt to 25 percent
  • Brandon Miller came close to a double-double in the first half with 12 points and seven rebounds
  • The Crimson Tide outscored Vandy 20-8 inside the paint
  • Alabama's freshmen scored 24 of the 36 points in the first half for the Tide

SECOND HALF​

• The Tide began the half on a 17-4 run over the opening 8:10 to extend its lead to 23, 53-30
  • A 13-3 Vanderbilt run over the next 5:26 cut the lead to 56-43
  • The Commodores continued to put up a fight and trimmed the lead to six points, 68-62, with 43 seconds left
  • Alabama was able to hold off any chance of a comeback as the Tide knocked down 10-of-10 from the free throw line in the final five minutes to seal the victory

UP NEXT​

• Alabama will close its two-game road swing when it faces Missouri on Jan. 21 at Mizzou Arena
  • The contest will tipoff at 5 p.m. CT and air live on the SEC Network

Back
Top Bottom