| BSB/SB ðŸ¥Ž Bevo Classic: Saturday Split in Austin~ Alabama Wins 4-3 Marathon over Texas in 11 Innings

AUSTIN, Texas – Alabama softball heads to Austin, Texas this weekend for the Bevo Classic, playing four games including a pair of top-ten matchups against the tournament host Longhorns.

This Week: Bevo Classic​

• Video: Longhorn Network
  • Radio: The Crimson Tide Sports Network at 97.5 FM in Tuscaloosa | nick975.com
  • Friday, March 10 at #9/10 Texas – 4 p.m. CT
  • Saturday, March 11 vs. Texas State – 12:30 p.m. CT
  • Saturday, March 11 at #9/10 Texas – 6:30 p.m. CT
  • Sunday, March 12 vs. Wisconsin – 9:30 a.m. CT

AUSTIN, Texas – In a top-ten matchup to open action at the Bevo Classic, Alabama clawed back from a five-run deficit against Texas to bring the go-ahead run to the plate in the top of the seventh, but the rally fell just short as the Longhorns held on to defeat the Crimson Tide, 5-3.

Alabama (19-4) and Texas (19-2-1) were scoreless until the Longhorns hung a crooked number in the third, plating five runs on three hits and an error. The Tide was hitless until a two-out single from Kenleigh Cahalan in the fifth put runners on the corners and Ashley Prange erased the shutout in the next at-bat with a three-run home run to make it a 5-3 ballgame. With the score the same in the top of the seventh, Faith Hensley and Cahalan hit back-to-back singles with one out to bring the potential go-ahead run to the plate, but Texas got out of the jam with a pair of strikeouts to end the rally.

Cahalan was 2-for-4 from the leadoff spot, earning her fourth multi-hit game of the season and extending her hitting streak to seven games. Prange extended her own hitting streak to six games, smashing her team-leading ninth home run of the season and tying her season high with three RBIs. Montana Fouts (9-2) took the loss in the circle while Alex Salter backed her up with 3.0 shutout relief innings, holding the Longhorns to just three hits.

AUSTIN, Texas – Alabama softball split a Saturday doubleheader in Austin, falling to Texas State in the afternoon before gutting out a marathon 4-3 win over No. 9 Texas in 11 innings in the nightcap.

In the first game of the day, Alabama (20-5) faced an early deficit after a Texas State (17-6) solo home run in the top of the second and the Bobcats plated another on a two-out fielding error in the third to lead 2-0. The Crimson Tide got out of a bases-loaded jam in the fifth to keep it a two-run game but Texas State added some insurance in the seventh with an RBI single to stretch the lead to 3-0. Ally Shipman led off the bottom of the seventh with a double, advanced to third on a fly out and came home on a sacrifice fly but a strikeout ended the game as Alabama fell, 3-1.

In the nightcap against Texas (21-3-1), the Tide got on the board immediately in the first inning on an RBI single from Shipman and tacked on two more in the second with a two-run single from Jenna Johnson. Texas got one back on a sac fly RBI in the third and took advantage of Alabama fielding errors in the fourth, scoring two unearned runs to tie it at 3-3. The two teams couldn't break the tie in regulation, playing all the way to the 11th with the same score before Kenleigh Cahalan came through with the big RBI, dropping a single into left to drive in Larissa Preuitt and put the Tide ahead 4-3. Texas got a runner into scoring position in the bottom half but a strikeout ended it as Alabama held on to win.

Montana Fouts (10-2) threw a career-high 11.0 innings and 162 pitches in the win over the Longhorns, striking out 14. She is now just seven away from becoming the fifth player in program history to reach 1,000 career strikeouts. Cahalan, Kristen White and Jenna Johnson each had two hits in the win, while Larissa Preuitt scored two runs including the go-ahead in the 11th.

Lost to Wisconsin 7-6 Sunday morning. This team is not very good. Watch some of the Oklahoma game yesterday against Miss. St. Not a Sooner fan but they are still as good as ever because of their coach. Murphy not keeping up with the game. All he has is a good pitcher in Fouts. Bama softball is just going to keep getting worse.

Lost to Wisconsin 7-6 Sunday morning. This team is not very good. Watch some of the Oklahoma game yesterday against Miss. St. Not a Sooner fan but they are still as good as ever because of their coach. Murphy not keeping up with the game. All he has is a good pitcher in Fouts. Bama softball is just going to keep getting worse.

Yep, I have never really been in awe of his coaching. I think he has luckily just had talent in some of the right places. I don't follow as much as maybe I should, but I haven't seen a lot of girls develop here. Fouts, McCleney, and Hemphill are recent talents that were really good, but came in really good.

Something still not being said about last year's transfers.

Yep, I have never really been in awe of his coaching. I think he has luckily just had talent in some of the right places. I don't follow as much as maybe I should, but I haven't seen a lot of girls develop here. Fouts, McCleney, and Hemphill are recent talents that were really good, but came in really good.

Something still not being said about last year's transfers.

Just depends on what side you believe... One side says the upperclassmen were not very welcoming and went out of their way to make things difficult on them. The other side says some members of the team did a poor job of buying into the way things are done and pulled in a different direction and the situation grew toxic. Usually, like most things like this, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Just depends on what side you believe... One side says the upperclassmen were not very welcoming and went out of their way to make things difficult on them. The other side says some members of the team did a poor job of buying into the way things are done and pulled in a different direction and the situation grew toxic. Usually, like most things like this, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
IMO... it shouldn't ever come to that....you're the HC, you run the program... period.

Back
Top Bottom