| FTBL Between Clemson and Alabama, the choice is clear for Dabo Swinney (Goodman article from AL.com)

Max

The biggest mistake of Dabo Swinney’s career would be to leave Clemson for Alabama after Nick Saban retires.

Saban isn’t giving up his gig anytime soon, based on his aggressive image campaign following hip surgery, but Clemson gave itself what seems to be a little insurance last week when it wrote an “enhanced buyout” into Swinney’s new contract extension to protect the school financially when the time comes. Swinney is now college football’s highest paid coach at $9.3 million per season. Saban makes $9.25 M.

Swinney’s buyout is more if he leaves Clemson for Alabama than if he leaves Clemson for any other school. For example, if Swinney were to leave Clemson for Alabama in 2022, then he would have to pay Clemson a $3 million buyout plus an additional $1.5 million to go home to Alabama. Considering Alabama just paid its men’s basketball coach $5.5 million to go away, this all seems more symbolic than punitive.

Alabama, of course, could pay for Swinney’s buyout from Clemson in less time than it takes to fry catfish.

Swinney’s real punishment would come later if he left Clemson for Alabama after Saban retires. Alabama fans would expect him to match or exceed Saban’s legacy in Tuscaloosa, which, of course, is ridiculous and impossible.

Saban is considered one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. You don’t follow a G.O.A.T. Just ask Ray Perkins or Bill Curry. The goat’s path is far too dangerous. Its ledges are too unstable, and its ridges are too narrow.

What if Swinney didn’t make the College Football Playoff every other year? What if he lost to Auburn, or, the horror, to Tennessee?

Remind me again why Swinney would leave a place where he can’t lose for a place where, no matter what, he can’t win?

Curry, who was one Alabama coach removed from Paul Bryant, went 10-1 during the 1989 regular season, won a share of the SEC title and was named national coach of the year. He left for Kentucky because Alabama’s powerbrokers wouldn't give him a raise.

Why should they have? Curry lost to Auburn three years in a row and shared his SEC title with the Tigers and Volunteers.

Before Curry, Perkins left Alabama for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because the pressure to win was so great. Perkins was a brilliant coach. He molded both Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick when they were young assistant coaches.

And Dabo knows all of this. He grew up in Alabama amid that drama. Swinney has even told influential people in Clemson and Tuscaloosa that he doesn’t plan on following in Saban’s footsteps, but, you know, people don’t listen. Swinney might be “all in” with Clemson now, the thinking goes, but he still has some pretty deep roots, emotionally if nothing else, planted in Alabama.

Swinney is from Pelham, a suburb of Birmingham, and his time as a walk-on at Alabama altered the trajectory of his life. The draw is an obvious one, and, naturally, Clemson’s “Alabama Clause” in Swinney’s contract has created some buzz here in Alabama. People here, foolishly, view Swinney as the coach-in-waiting to Saban’s unprecedented Alabama dynasty.

Don’t view this “enhanced buyout” as some kind of proof, however, that Alabama’s position in college football, at this point, is far superior to Clemson’s. It is not, and when Saban retires, Clemson will have the chance to put a stranglehold on the sport for a very long time by retaining Swinney. Clemson, an SEC-esque powerhouse playing in the inferior ACC, is already better than Alabama right now.

Most recently, Swinney and Clemson beat the fool’s gold out of an Alabama team that featured an offense many considered, including me, to be the best of Saban’s career. Clemson got the better of Alabama in the 2016 national championship as well despite the Crimson Tide featuring a defensive depth chart that has put 15 players into NFL Drafts.

Clemson and Alabama have played for the national championship in each of the past three years, and, to be clear, Clemson is in a better position for long-term success. Dabo is 49 years old. Saban is 67.

Ask yourself this as a neutral observer of college football: would you take Dabo Swinney right now over Nick Saban? That’s not a difficult question for a lot of Alabama fans. They would choose Swinney, and that’s precisely why he should stay away from Alabama until the time is right.

Unless something unforeseen happens to knock Swinney off his pedestal, he will be offered the job at Alabama when Saban retires. He’ll then have to make the biggest choice of his career. Does he want to be the guy who follows Saban, or maybe wait, and gamble, and be the home-state hero who saves the program when Saban’s successor can’t duplicate the G.O.A.T.’s success.

More than likely, it’s none of the above.

The smartest option would be to just stay at Clemson where an “Alabama Clause” can remind everyone what the best of the SEC wants but cannot have. In a sport where perception is everything — just look at Saban painfully posing for Twitter pictures two days after hip surgery — Clemson’s “Alabama Clause” looks like a display of power more than anything else.

Between Clemson and Alabama, the choice is clear for Dabo Swinney

The smartest option would be to just stay at Clemson where an “Alabama Clause” can remind everyone what the best of the SEC wants but cannot have.

what the best of the SEC wants?

actually, what the best of the SEC wants is the coach it currently has. maybe in some misguided, little brother jealous fantasy clemson and its fans believe that The University of Alabama wants Swinney. but it's only there.

is there some huge outcry or some big poll that was taken that says, "hey, since clemson put that clause in his contract, now we want him more than the coach that brought us 5 national titles and 6 conference titles"? that'd be like trading a corvette for a mustang. while the mustang is a great sports car and an American legend, the corvette is a better all-around sports car that is also a legend and is more powerful and goes faster.

and then...

Clemson’s “Alabama Clause” looks like a display of power more than anything else.

display of desperation is more like it

Kirby is about to find out what it's like to have your assistants leave, and Dabo will eventually find out, THEN we'll see what kind of coach he is. I'm sure both will have success, but I believe they have hit their peaks early and going to be difficult to replicate.

Dabo isn't going up against SEC talent week after week and the NFL Draft proves as much.

Dabo peaking at 49...doubt it. He's got a red carpet to the playoff every year.

He's doing more with less...

YearClass Rank Per 247# Commits# of 5*# of 4*# of 3*
2019​

Last edited:
Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney.....easy choice.....
Nick has a history of success....Dabo a chapter.....( see Urban Meyer, Fulmer, Spurrier, etc in other chapters),.....
Will-be fun to watch.....you dont have to just be good...you got to be....tough.... see how how much tough there is.... we know Nicks

I always wanted a Corvette when growing up (put together many of those vette model cars) so in 1977 (at age 27) I ordered by 1st. Then 78 got another and my last in 81.

Mom and Dad visted shortly after I got the 77 so we went for a ride headed from Montgomery to Prattville. He said "Boy, I had just as soon have a good mule and wagon as this thing. It's two seats of misery but we're looking good".

Kind if brings a tear to my eyes.

77 cost 10,500
78 cost 12,500
81 cost 18,000

2019 cost at 60K and that is cheapest version

@50+yeartidefan, @JoseyWalesTheOutlaw,

you guys seen this thread?

what the best of the SEC wants?
It's crazy how some of these guys feel like they have their finger on on the pulse of Bama fans. It's real apparent here.

Ask yourself this as a neutral observer of college football: would you take Dabo Swinney right now over Nick Saban? That’s not a difficult question for a lot of Alabama fans. They would choose Swinney, and that’s precisely why he should stay away from Alabama until the time is right.

I always wanted a Corvette when growing up (put together many of those vette model cars) so in 1977 (at age 27) I ordered by 1st. Then 78 got another and my last in 81.

Mom and Dad visted shortly after I got the 77 so we went for a ride headed from Montgomery to Prattville. He said "Boy, I had just as soon have a good mule and wagon as this thing. It's two seats of misery but we're looking good".

Kind if brings a tear to my eyes.

77 cost 10,500
78 cost 12,500
81 cost 18,000

2019 cost at 60K and that is cheapest version

I bought a '77 C3 from a lady in Vestavia in 2007, did a little work to it and made it my daily driver for 75,000 miles over three years. It was the last year of the flat back window. It was fun, and a big change from the '72 Chevy stepside I'd restored and driven 75,000 miles the preceding three years.

I love old cars, in general I'm a Chevy guy, but my only classic car I have now is a '65 Mustang. I've had it for 24 years, will probably have it from here on out. 289, A-code engine, Rally-pac with tach and clock on the column and rally mags and a spare in the trunk. Power steering, and manual front disc brakes, which were a pretty rare option.

Here's a photo from when I had them both, and another of the stepside
IMG_0303.jpg.

I actually miss the pickup more than the C3. Prices for those trucks have gone through the roof.

RTR,

Tim
IMG-20120811-00156.jpg

I bought a '77 C3 from a lady in Vestavia in 2007, did a little work to it and made it my daily driver for 75,000 miles over three years. It was the last year of the flat back window. It was fun, and a big change from the '72 Chevy stepside I'd restored and driven 75,000 miles the preceding three years.

I love old cars, in general I'm a Chevy guy, but my only classic car I have now is a '65 Mustang. I've had it for 24 years, will probably have it from here on out. 289, A-code engine, Rally-pac with tach and clock on the column and rally mags and a spare in the trunk. Power steering, and manual front disc brakes, which were a pretty rare option.

Here's a photo from when I had them both, and another of the stepside
View attachment 11250.

I actually miss the pickup more than the C3. Prices for those trucks have gone through the roof.

RTR,

Tim
View attachment 11249
Tim...those are absolutely cool.....awesome

lol at that buyout being a "display of power." Good grief, they want Alabama and Alabama fans to care about that stupid clause in his contract so bad. We don't and we won't. If and when Nick Saban retires, the University of Alabama would literally laugh at that buyout. And that's assuming if they even go after him. Hell, by the time Saban retires the sky could have already fallen in on Dabo.

Dabo isn't going up against SEC talent week after week and the NFL Draft proves as much.
And to further emphasize that point ...

When the first CFP rankings were announced in 2014, Mississippi State was sitting at #1. We've seen Bama in that position, and we've also seen LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, and Auburn ranked in the top 25. Auburn has been in the top four as well. Out of the western division we've seen six of the seven teams ranked in that poll over the last four years.

When we jump to the east we've got UGA as a top four team, with Mizzou, Kentucky, and Florida ranked in the top 25.

So, we're looking at a 14 team conference with nine of the fourteen having been ranked over the last four years.

How many teams can the ACC put in that same category? I'm thinking it's four: Clemson, FSU, Syracuse, and NC State.

If that doesn't show a difference in conference strength ...

lol at that buyout being a "display of power." Good grief, they want Alabama and Alabama fans to care about that stupid clause in his contract so bad. We don't and we won't. If and when Nick Saban retires, the University of Alabama would literally laugh at that buyout. And that's assuming if they even go after him. Hell, by the time Saban retires the sky could have already fallen in on Dabo.

Second all this. Eventually, his prized assistants will be plucked away. He may not be the ACC big daddy in five years.

Dabo is a very good coach. I think bama could do much worse when the Saban retires. He can be goofy sometimes but I think he would do everything in his power to keep bama at the top because bama is part of him and near and dear to his heart.

With that said the real test will be when he loses his high profile coordinators. I personally think he will be fine because he built Clemson into one of the top programs by competing and winning championships. Good coaches will want to come be a part of that. They are built to have sustaining power.

Lets hope we do not have to deal with any of this for another 10 years... Roll Tide!!!!

Dabo peaking at 49...doubt it. He's got a red carpet to the playoff every year.

He's doing more with less...

YearClass Rank Per 247# Commits# of 5*# of 4*# of 3*
2019​

He will not catch Saban, he's won two already, and playing in the worst conference top to bottom in ACC history. He's peaking.

Reality check will eventually hit Clemson. Clemson's history is not one of sustained excellence. Flash in the pan periods do occur (see Oregon) but eventually it catches up.

Anyone that thinks Bama has gone away, especially while Saban is still here and recruiting at a high level, is just silly.

Back
Top Bottom