| FTBL Anyone notice the student section ?

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
I don't want to hear anything about how the student section needs to be enlarged when the stadium expansion begins. That was pathetic attendance by our student section for the #2 (now #1) team in the land. I know it was Homecoming and parties were everywhere , with Hank Jr playing the night before but that was pityful. We should keep their allotted seats the same and open up more to those that truly love the game. Being an Alum and having been a walk on here it pissed me off to see the lack of support.Just a rant but I needed to let off some steam. &mad

uagrad93 said:
I don't want to hear anything about how the student section needs to be enlarged when the stadium expansion begins. That was pathetic attendance by our student section for the #2 (now #1) team in the land. I know it was Homecoming and parties were everywhere , with Hank Jr playing the night before but that was pityful. We should keep their allotted seats the same and open up more to those that truly love the game. Being an Alum and having been a walk on here it pissed me off to see the lack of support.Just a rant but I needed to let off some steam. &mad

I know it was empty pre-game and before the end of the game, but was it not full at kickoff??? Maybe I just didn't notice.

I sit right next to the greek section, there were just as many there during the game as normal... the students did start leaving in the 3rd quarter with half of the stadium however. Which by the way I think is ridiculous but I won't rant...

Well then I have to brag on my section. I sit down low, and my kids are always wanting to move up to better seats. They know that at homecoming usually they can move to the primo seats after halftime.

We waited and waited for the fans to leave, and they didn't do so. Finally at 7 mins. left in the game they got to move up and even then there were only a few rows to choose from. The traffic showed that a lot of fans stayed late as well. I had more traffic getting out of T-town for this one than I did Ole Miss.

Are you kidding....homecoming....our team is up and undefeated...If I was still on campus, I wouldn't be at that game either. There were a lot of uninhibited female persuations. There will be plenty of time to become a nutty 30+ fan.

By the way, I'm not slamming the nutty 30+ fans...I'm one of them. Believe me, you won't be able to get another student in there with a a giant crimson colored show horn when the Barners come to town.

Bamatilldeath said:
By the way, I'm not slamming the nutty 30+ fans...I'm one of them. Believe me, you won't be able to get another student in there with a a giant crimson colored show horn when the Barners come to town.

And therein is PART of the problem. That is a very telling statement about the true level of devotion of a significant number of our current student population.

Are the students there to watch big name opponents play or are they there to watch THEIR team play? Is it not important enough to walk a half-mile or so and take four-or-so hours out of your day to cheer for YOUR team unless the opponent is an Auburn, or LSU, or Georgia, or Tennessee?

Okay, if you only want to go watch Alabama play when there is a 'name' opponent across the field so be it, and you are wholly entitled to that course of action as a student seeking uninhibited trim as an alternative.

But do NOT come clamoring when the student section is not enlarged, or perhaps actually shrunk, when the people in charge see in essence free-seats empty in vast numbers while at the same time they have alums begging for the opportunity to pay Tide Pride fees and purchase those tickets at 10x the student price.

I really think 'consequences' to ones actions is not taught to the youth of today.

alagator said:
Bamatilldeath said:

And therein is PART of the problem. That is a very telling statement about the true level of devotion of a significant number of our current student population.

Are the students there to watch big name opponents play or are they there to watch THEIR team play? Is it not important enough to walk a half-mile or so and take four-or-so hours out of your day to cheer for YOUR team unless the opponent is an Auburn, or LSU, or Georgia, or Tennessee?

Okay, if you only want to go watch Alabama play when there is a 'name' opponent across the field so be it, and you are wholly entitled to that course of action as a student seeking uninhibited trim as an alternative.

But do NOT come clamoring when the student section is not enlarged, or perhaps actually shrunk, when the people in charge see in essence free-seats empty in vast numbers while at the same time they have alums begging for the opportunity to pay Tide Pride fees and purchase those tickets at 10x the student price.

I really think 'consequences' to ones actions is not taught to the youth of today.

I agree.

Bamatilldeath wrote:

Respecfully....you're having trouble remembering being 20 years old...we were all there. I doubt that student section tickets could be affected. The game is for the sake of college. The early exiting has been and will continue at each university. It has little to do with school loyalty as much as youthful priorities. But your point is well taken about youth in general.

My complaint wasn't about the students leaving early but the fact that it never came close to filling up at all. You're right that we were all there at one time and left early. I had my 7 yr old son with me and we left before the final whistle.
The students should be in there to support the team and not just pack the section out for the "big" game.

alagator said:
Bamatilldeath said:

Well the people that want to sit in the student section, but can't get tickets can get the student tickets. All they have to do is enroll at the university, pay full time student tuition fees and fight through all the other students that are wanting those same tickets. No trick to it.

uagrad93 said:
My complaint wasn't about the students leaving early but the fact that it never came close to filling up at all. You're right that we were all there at one time and left early. I had my 7 yr old son with me and we left before the final whistle.
The students should be in there to support the team and not just pack the section out for the "big" game.

student section never really fills up, if you noticed there were TONS of empty seats in the upper decks, and there were quite a few students not sitting in the student section. IMHO people who can't stay through all 4 quarters of a game should not bitch about anyone elses attendance PERIOD! Do you realize we had recruits at this game, and they saw fans start piling out of the stadium in the 3rd quarter when we were SHUTTING OUT THE FIRST TEAM SINCE MISS ST in 2005...

bamajt said:
Well, the people that want to sit in the student section, but can't get tickets can get the student tickets. All they have to do is enroll at the university, pay full time student tuition fees and fight through all the other students that are wanting those same tickets. No trick to it.

Maybe if those people did not have jobs to go to every day and homes to pay for and children to feed, clothe, and educate maybe they could just drop all their inconsequential responsibilities and enroll in college (many already with their degrees in hand from their first go-around in Tuscaloosa) to get the cheap student tickets that many currently there do not want.

I see the concept of 'consequences for our actions' is not the only thing our youth is not learning.

Really, don't you see the fallacy of trying to argue there are long lines and numerous hoops a UA student has to endure to get much wanted tickets when the fact is plain for all to see that the price (cash or otherwise) is not all that great given the score upon score of empty seats before and during the game in the student section?

The 'trick' to battle off all the other students desiring tickets must not be too hard - else after paying the price to at long last get the tickets they would not be unused in such numbers.

Common sense tells you that the 'price' paid in time and money to get the tickets is not sufficiently high enough to create an incentive that ensures the tickets will actually be used once acquired. So, you either raise the actual monetary cost of the ticket to the students, and/or you increase the hoops a student has to jump through to acquire the ticket in the first place, and/or you restrict the supply, and/or you penalize a student who has a ticket that goes unused (cut off their ability to purchase and use tickets in the future - which might include prohibiting them from purchasing full-price tickets when they become an alum for a period of time).

All viable options given that you have a looooong waiting list of people with jobs and families willing to pay for the opportunity to attend games at far higher tangible and intrinsic costs than a student must endure.

TigerBait3 said:
Friday night was Halloween, half of them marched piss drunk in the homecoming parade at 7 am...theyre students. Of course not all of them will be there after those events.

So they value the opportunity to get up at 0700a drunk and/or hungover to march in a parade than they value the opportunity to go enjoy THEIR team compete in the game?

Did they not know that the events of the day (and night before) would transpire as they did BEFORE they bought the tickets they would not want to use?

Again, forethought and consequences.

Might they have left these tickets for other students who WOULD use them?

Still. What about the band. Are they not mostly students? Was the night before not Halloween for them too? Do the band members not drink and party to all hours of the early morning? Did they not HAVE to march in the parade? Were they at the game - performing their duties?

And you are grossly overstating the number of general students who actually participated in the parade.

alagator said:
bamajt said:
Well, the people that want to sit in the student section, but can't get tickets can get the student tickets. All they have to do is enroll at the university, pay full time student tuition fees and fight through all the other students that are wanting those same tickets. No trick to it.

Maybe if those people did not have jobs to go to every day and homes to pay for and children to feed, clothe, and educate maybe they could just drop all their inconsequential responsibilities and enroll in college (many already with their degrees in hand from their first go-around in Tuscaloosa) to get the cheap student tickets that many currently there do not want.

I see the concept of 'consequences for our actions' is not the only thing our youth is not learning.

Really, don't you see the fallacy of trying to argue there are long lines and numerous hoops a UA student has to endure to get much wanted tickets when the fact is plain for all to see that the price (cash or otherwise) is not all that great given the score upon score of empty seats before and during the game in the student section?

The 'trick' to battle off all the other students desiring tickets must not be too hard - else after paying the price to at long last get the tickets they would not be unused in such numbers.

Common sense tells you that the 'price' paid in time and money to get the tickets is not sufficiently high enough to create an incentive that ensures the tickets will actually be used once acquired. So, you either raise the actual monetary cost of the ticket to the students, and/or you increase the hoops a student has to jump through to acquire the ticket in the first place, and/or you restrict the supply, and/or you penalize a student who has a ticket that goes unused (cut off their ability to purchase and use tickets in the future - which might include prohibiting them from purchasing full-price tickets when they become an alum for a period of time).

All viable options given that you have a looooong waiting list of people with jobs and families willing to pay for the opportunity to attend games at far higher tangible and intrinsic costs than a student must endure.

"Maybe if those people did not have jobs to go to every day and homes to pay for and children to feed, clothe, and educate maybe they could just drop all their inconsequential responsibilities and enroll in college (many already with their degrees in hand from their first go-around in Tuscaloosa) to get the cheap student tickets that many currently there do not want." Thank you for informing me that I did not have a job working at Sams Club for over 30hrs a week then having 12hrs of class per week and I required no study time at all. And no students have responsibilities except to support the football team because the UA is not an institution of higher learning, it is only a football team. Thank you for pointing out how clearly ignorant I am because you know us youth, we take everything for granted, we never move out of our parents houses, and we just coast through life because without a care in this world. My question is, do you finish every little thing on your plate at every meal?

I'm not going to argue anymore with you because (1) no matter what I say, you will not fairly consider what the other position is, (2) you have no respect for me because of my age. Your bias is clear by saying "I see the concept of 'consequences for our actions' is not the only thing our youth is not learning." (a broad sweeping overgeneralization)and (3) you rely to much on what you call "common sense". When ice cream sales go up, murder rates go up as well. Should we stop selling ice cream, or should we look for other factors? Good day to you and if anyone feels that I have attacked them personally, then please let me know so I can apologize.

alagator said:
TigerBait3 said:
Friday night was Halloween, half of them marched piss drunk in the homecoming parade at 7 am...theyre students. Of course not all of them will be there after those events.

So they value the opportunity to get up at 0700a drunk and/or hungover to march in a parade than they value the opportunity to go enjoy THEIR team compete in the game?
1. They probably didnt "get up."

2. Regarding the parade - Most dont have a choice, and I was not saying that was the main reason they werent there. I realize it is a small minority that participates.

Just use common sense. Its Arkansas State. The students dont care you like care. Half of them go to school to go to school there and didnt grow up worshiping da bear or Alabama football.

bamajt said:
Thank you for informing me that I did not have a job working at Sams Club for over 30hrs a week then having 12hrs of class per week and I required no study time at all. And no students have responsibilities except to support the football team because the UA is not an institution of higher learning, it is only a football team. Thank you for pointing out how clearly ignorant I am because you know us youth, we take everything for granted, we never move out of our parents houses, and we just coast through life because without a care in this world. My question is, do you finish every little thing on your plate at every meal?

If you really think my comments implied that some students do not have work and academic obligations that might make it difficult for them to attend a football game then you grossly missed the point.

If you really think I responded to your very flawed effort because of your age you grossly missed the point.

You tried to argue that if people really wanted the tickets all they had to do was just assume the great burden of being a student and stand in the over-bearing lines to acquire those tickets. I merely pointed out that people who had REAL burdens of working and the responsibilities of life compared to the overwhelming challenges of being a student are clamoring for those tickets by the thousands. If it is too great a burden for the current students to get and actually use the tickets then perhaps the number of tickets currently allocated to students should be contracted and instead those tickets be made available to alumni.

Your flawed point was not attacked because of your age but because of the fallacy of its logic.

Your comments here demonstrate a failure to still link forethought and actions with consequences.

You argue that many students have, as did you and as did I (in both undergrad and graduate school), work and academic demands that might deny them the ability to attend a football game.

Well, did they not KNOW that when they bought the tickets? Or did those demands suddenly sneak up on them overnight the day before the game? Forethought.

Granted, sometimes unexpected events happen that might prevent one from attending a theretofore planned event. But, did they make arrangements to return the ticket they would not be able to use so someone else might have the opportunity to attend the game. Actions.

And if they did not have the forethought to not buy a deeply discounted ticket to an event they would not be able to attend or chose to not 'burden' themselves further by returning a ticket they could not use then they should not be surprised that consequences to their detriment might result.

You see that is my point.

You see, none of that has ANYTHING to do with your absolute age and everything to do with the depth of your attempted argument.

TigerBait3 said:
Just use common sense. Its Arkansas State. The students dont care you like care. Half of them go to school to go to school there and didnt grow up worshiping da bear or Alabama football.

And if they don't want to go to the game that is entirely their free choice. And I really do not have a problem with that.

My point, is that if they do not want to go watch Alabama play a game they feel unworthy of their time and effort, then do not come wailing when the administration in the future restricts the size of the student section (in absolute or relative size) in the face of thousands of people willing to pay Tide Pride and non-discounted prices for those same seats. If you want to be able to get tickets for the Auburn or Tennessee or Florida or Georgia games then you might need to 'pay the price' by being there for the Arkansas State or LA-Monroe or Tulane games.

My comments are targeted to those who complain that the student section is too small and they cannot get tickets to some of the bigger games and demand that the section be enlarged while at the same time there are literally thousands of empty student seats at most every game. You want more tickets, use the ones allocated to you first. Then we can talk. And will.

Amen Gator. That was the jist of the thread. The students don't need to go bitching and moaning when their alottment of tickets don't increase when the stadium expands again. I know those students work and they go to school and that it was "just" Arkansas State as someone put it. The higher ups see this and they will or should act accordingly when expansion times comes.

Back
Top Bottom