| FTBL Another former Alabama player in critical condition after car accident.

not saying you're wrong, but you obviously didn't read the post... he was involved, but was hit while he was outside of the car trying to help
Yeah, I kinda just lumped him into the epidemic of bad drivers either killing someone or killing themselves, in college football.. Unfortunately, a lot of people do get hurt or killed trying to just help someone..

Look up automotive deaths in late 60’s early 70’s. More Americans killed in some years than in Vietnam war.
Air bags, crumple zones, anti-lock brakes, along with better DUI education/enforcement, all combined to drive deaths down significantly. By 2021, distracted driving thanks to the smart phone and car entertainment systems (I'll toss high driving in here as well) erased twenty-five years of gains. Now, the next generation of mandated "safety" devices - lane detection, emergency braking notices, automatic braking (which is causing many accidents themselves) - are just to coddle texting/browsing drivers.

Air bags, crumple zones, anti-lock brakes, along with better DUI education/enforcement, all combined to drive deaths down significantly. By 2021, distracted driving thanks to the smart phone and car entertainment systems (I'll toss high driving in here as well) erased twenty-five years of gains. Now, the next generation of mandated "safety" devices - lane detection, emergency braking notices, automatic braking (which is causing many accidents themselves) - are just to coddle texting/browsing drivers.
My first thought was "that was the muscle car era." I wonder how many of the deaths happened with one of those vehicles: too much car for the driver.

My first thought was "that was the muscle car era." I wonder how many of the deaths happened with one of those vehicles: too much car for the driver.
1722826394203.png
Yes, the peak was muscle car, optional seat belts and such. The big gains starting around 2004-05 were some of the safety things I mentioned, and the erasure of those gains are distracted and/or high driving.

Back
Top Bottom