| FTBL Alternative way to play Tulane!!!

aMAZEnFan

Verified Member
I know that running the ball as much as allowed is great for time of possession, rest for out D, and fatigue for opposing defenses, but I would love to see a change of pace.

Tulane has more than likely game planned to stop the run so I expect them to load 8-9 in the box.

Either way, I would love for our offense to show it's explosiveness by playing RED BALL (Alabama's version of Hurry-Up, No-Huddle Offense)!!!!

Since we have more depth, the defense can rotate in and out to remain fresh.

Your thoughts?

I don't think Tulane could afford to line 8 or 9 in the box, they will get burned. The great thing here is that we have a balanced offense. There will be running room regardless, I believe they will play more to the run, but we will beat them with a balanced offense and a dominate D.

Bama1966 said:
I don't think Tulane could afford to line 8 or 9 in the box, they will get burned. The great thing here is that we have a balanced offense. There will be running room regardless, I believe they will play more to the run, but we will beat them with a balanced offense and a dominate D.

Yeah, they can't afford not to blitz either, but we have to make them pay when they do!!! I feel very confident that we have the playmakers on offense to cause havoc down-the-field. Guys like Julio, McCoy and Maze should be able to run excellent routes and get open early and often.

Personally, I want them to keep the playbook as closed as it was last week.

And, from what I hear, that's what they plan on doing...only changes we'll see are a few more players seeing some action than we saw last week on more than one unit.

TerryP said:

And, from what I hear, that's what they plan on doing...only changes we'll see are a few more players seeing some action than we saw last week on more than one unit.

When do we open it up then, buddy?

We can't play conservative for ever. Wouldn't it be nice to throw a monkey wrench in what Tulane thinks we will do and do something totally different?

I know it's a long season and the conferences games are coming up, but it wouldn't hurt to reveal something new every week.

IMO, it makes game planning against us that much tougher.

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:

We can't play conservative for ever. Wouldn't it be nice to throw a monkey wrench in what Tulane thinks we will do and do something totally different?

I know it's a long season and the conferences games are coming up, but it wouldn't hurt to reveal something new every week.

It's tougher to prepare for the something you haven't seen.

"Opening it up" requires taking more risks. Risks that you will be unsuccessful in the game at hand (which is the key thing - can't get the cart before the horse), but also that your future opponents might be able to see weaknesses in plays that might work the first time they're used.

It's been said many times, but when you throw it three things can happen, and two of them are bad. If Clemson is any indication, we are going to be able to run the ball when it's expected. Although this time it'll be our choice if we run the ball as much as I'd like to, I'm reminded of the 2003 Southern Miss game when Brandon Avalos attempted less than 10 passes for about 10 yards total. Everyone knew we were going to run it, and we still won 17-3. The 2004 SoMiss game was a near replay with Pennington at QB, and we won 27-3. I don't think we've attempted less than 10 passes in a game since then.

RTR,

Tim

I hope that we dominate in the trenches and pound the ball. It will be nice to see Scott and some other players get more action like TerryP said they might. I'd also like to see us open up the passing game a little bit more, as far as more downfield passes. I can't be picky, I am just happy to be able to watch some football.

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:

If we don't have to open it up to win games then don't. I'll be happy running it up the middle every single play if we are gettin 4+ yards on every carry.

TerryP said:

;w;w

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:

When? When we need to open it up more. There's no reason to delve deeper in what we have when we don't need to do so.

You mention we can't play conservative for ever. But, if you look at Saban's offenses over the years they can easily be described as conservative. Sure, we'll have more emphasis on "explosive plays" in future games when we need them but we should need to implement those until week 5.

Here's where you have lost me.

You mention you think we should "reveal something new every week" and by doing that it "makes game planning that much harder."

Versus.

If they have never seen it before, they don't know about it, therefore they can't plan for it.

Why throw a wrench into the Tulane game, or the Western Kentucky game, when we don't need to do so? Fact is, we may not need to against Arkansas.

To take that even a step further, if no one can stop us running between the tackles why stop? Why do more?

I'm reminded of a game when Wake played Ole Miss in 2006. Wake ran close to 60 offensive plays in the game, maybe more, but only threw the ball 6 times. When asked why, Grobe said, "they couldn't stop the run so why do anything else?"

if you can run it down their throats all game long, then by all means do so. this helps your time of possession, and it helps wear the defense down. a CNS offense has always been big on time of possession. take the Clemson game for example, we forced them to play the game we wanted them to play it. when you take away how long they have the ball, you take away their scoring opportunities and to an extent you can narrow down what type of plays they will be able to run. Clemson was forced to abandon the run for obvious reasons. if the running game can be established in the same way it was last week, there is no reason at all to get cute and start running all kinds of plays. of course you will have to have some passing plays just to keep them on their toes, but i wouldn't look for anything flashy.

I'd like to see us continue to dominate the TOP number, all year, if possible.

However we do it, running, short passes, even a combination of the two...By keeping the other team off the field, you don't have to score as many points. True, the other team could have very quick, deadly positions and still beat you. But Tulane isn't wired that way, and neither was Clemson. Neither is WKU or Arkansas. A run first mentality will help us keep that TOP in our favor, and I think you will win more than you lose by doing that.

Back
Top Bottom