| NEWS Albert Haynesworth calls for boycott of Tennessee Vols football for 'systematic racism' - KnoxNews

S

SEC Sports

Albert Haynesworth is calling for a boycott of the Tennessee football program.

In a post reacting to the hiring of Josh Heupel, who was named the Vols' 27th coach on Wednesday, Haynesworth called for Black alumni from the university to join him in boycotting the Vols, citing "systematic racism" as the primary reason.

Haynesworth criticized Tennessee for failing to interview Tee Martin, the Vols' wide receivers coach and former quarterback, for the opening.

Haynesworth signed with the Vols in 1999, just a few months after Martin led Tennessee to its only modern national championship.

"Obviously Tennessee Vols take Tee Martin for granted!" Haynesworth wrote in a post on Facebook. "Why do (expletive) on him, hell he even reduce his salary to help the university out when he didn’t have to? Is it bc he’s black? UT won’t even interview him."

607801ce-abf2-4222-a156-4f630aafde7c-1302E9A9-39D5-4ABA-803C-BCF5D0F01329.jpeg

Haynesworth wrote that he "will not be attending any games or supporting until I see change in the university that I love so much." He said Tennessee has never paid Black coaches their due diligence, specifically mentioning former Tennessee assistant Kippy Brown, who was a candidate in 2009.

"Majority of your players are African-American why not put a African-American coach to lead them especially the one that won Tennessee a championship? You guys give everyone except a black qualified man a chance!" Haynesworth said.

Lawson, who is now coach of the Duke women's basketball team, has been a member of the Board of Trustees since 2018.

Haynesworth isn't alone advocating for Martin. Peerless Price, who was Tennessee's leading receiver on the 1998 national championship team, posted on Twitter saying that he had a phone conversation with a distraught Martin.

"Just got off the phone with my Quarterback Tee Martin and to say my guy his hurting is an understatement!" Price wrote. "My brother if my vision was ever clouded I have clear sight on everything you’ve sacrificed for our University. Damn the pain in my brothers voice I’ve never heard before!"

In UT history, there have been only three Black head coaches across all sports: Wade Houston (1989-94) and Cuonzo Martin (2011-14) in men's basketball, and J.J. Clark (2001-14), who led women's track and field from 2001-11 and directed the men's and women's programs when the two combined in 2012 through 2014.

Before Danny White's hiring as AD on Monday, UT listed 15 people as senior staff members. All are white and four are women.

This is a losing argument, that no one will win. I get where Haynesworth is coming from and UT is at a spot much like Alabama was when we hired Shula.

UT has a proud history and can be demanding. I don't think it is the fishbowl that Alabama is, but similar. The argument could be made that UT is not the place someone goes to "learn" how to be a head coach. (Bama has proven that a couple of times) Especially when you need to rebuild a once proud program. I had to google Kippy Brown. He has one year as a HC in the XFL.

I totally understand why they want a minority coach, but this really wouldn't be giving them a fair shot. This is another Lane Kiffen to USC, Matt Luke to Ole Miss, or Mike Shula to Bama situation. It is an uphill battle that is practically impossible to win. Let Heupel be the scape goat while the sanctions rain down, then go out and hire you a coach that will have a full compliment of scholarships and the ability to recruit on a level playing field.
In the mean time, coaches like Tee Martin can go to a group of 5 school and make all the stupid mistakes you make as a HC (See Kirby, fake punt on 4-11 in SEC Championship game).

Arguments predicated upon a lie never have a chance of winning. Tennessee wanted to hire Elliot and would have given him the job in a heartbeat. But, Elliot didn't want the job. If you've offered a job to a minority and they turn it down, how is that systemic racism?
There you go...using facts again.... ( agreeing with you finally)
But @rammerjammer has a valid point.....
This is not a program that you want to be in lead of....right now...
Its ugly...going to get worse.....

Years ago here in my community, we had a preacher of color to cry out "racism" when his daughter wasn't hired to teach in our system. She was a product of our system, had gotten a degree from an accredited university in education, BUT she didn't get hired. She applied for a position that she wasn't certified, but her dad was too fast to overlook that point and immediately played the "race card". Our system spent the next 18 months trying to hire more minorities and find out what would bring more here. When I was asked, I stated the obvious. Either bring in entertainment to our city to attract these young people or move our schools closer to bigger cities that have a nightlife. At the time, our superintendent was of color as well, so the "race card" didn't sit too well with them.
I say that to say this. Did Tee Martin even ask White about an interview? Did he really want to be Tennessee's "Mike Shula"? Was he willing to fall on the sword at his alma mater for 3-4 years while they struggle with a depleted roster and sanctions, to only be cast aside when a better coach actually "wanted the job"?

This is the path that our country has created for itself. Identity politics carrying over to every aspect of life where a decision is made, one group or another gets offended. Systemic racism being thrown out there is nothing more than projecting one's own racism, 9 times out of 10. What happened to "most qualified" winning the day no matter the level of pigment in the skin? Ridiculous.

Had they hired Martin, there would have been bitching when he was fired in a few years for failing (as most any coach will fail at UT right now). And that would have hurt him much more in the long run. They did him a favor by not hiring him yet.

when shula was hired. Racism was hollared loud and clear because they didnt hire Croom

i dont know if race played a part. Neither were a lot more qualified than the other. Both were bama legends. But croom whould have been harder to fire than mike for sure

racism sux.

I think this is an ex UT player responding emotionally before he has the full picture. People need to tap the breaks and be careful to respond to something in the heat of the moment right after a simple tweet. With that said the mental conditioning is alive and well since that is the go to for emotional responses.

when shula was hired. Racism was hollared loud and clear because they didnt hire Croom

i dont know if race played a part. Neither were a lot more qualified than the other. Both were bama legends. But croom whould have been harder to fire than mike for sure

racism sux.
When Croom interviewed and was asked what his plan was for the program he didn't have an answer. In an interview, for a job, he didn't have an answer.

That's not racism.

I interviewed for a job with an HR manager and VP of Ops of a phenomenal company. All day long, lunch at a nice place and and offer of dinner as well. Nine to five interview and at the end I told them that I thought the opportunity was more than I wanted to take on.

No one can be a fit just because someone else wants it to be so. <<<<<<<fortune cookie

When Croom interviewed and was asked what his plan was for the program he didn't have an answer. In an interview, for a job, he didn't have an answer.

That's not racism.

and Shula did?

i didnt say it was....or not....
Just saying ...thats what was said....by many/some/a few..and call for boycott.....because of race stuff...

my point was...it was easier to fire Mike than it would to fire Croom....

Back
Top Bottom