| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Alabama’s Second Half Surge Too Much for South Dakota State in 104-88 Victory

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama plays the second of what will be a four-game homestand to open the season when it hosts Summit League preseason favorites South Dakota State Friday night inside Coleman Coliseum. It marks the second meeting between the two teams, with the only other appearance coming on the season opener on Nov. 9, 2012 when Trevor Lacey hit a game-winning three at the buzzer to pull out a 70-67 victory.

The Crimson Tide enters the year ranked No. 14 in the Associated Press Preseason Top 25 and No. 13 in the Ferris Mowers USA Today Coaches Poll. It marks the first time since 2011 that Alabama will begin the season ranked in the AP Preseason poll, checking in at No. 19 that year. It's also the highest preseason ranking for the Tide since beginning the 2006-07 campaign at No. 11 nationally.

The Broadcast​

• Friday's game will be available on SEC Network+ with Roger Hoover (play-by-play) and Richard Hendrix (analyst) on the call
  • The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play), Bryan Passink (analyst) and Tom Stipe (engineer) turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Prepare yourselves for a tough game. Doug Wilson is a scorer and will be a problem in the paint. This is one of those games I wish Nimari hadn't gotten hurt, because he would have been the guy to stick on him.

Miles has improved a good bit, looks much more comfortable. I like these refs, letting them play more than most would. Hopefully, Gary isn't hurt too bad. At first I thought it looked like a possible Achilles, but the replay gave me hope that it isn't. Not ideal though....

Bama wins 104-88. Another nice early win. This team is playing really well out of the gate. Some defensive lapses, but SDSU can shoot it. UA with 5 guys in double figures, Ellis with an easy double double. Bama is so much better in the paint and at the rim this year, it's making a big difference. Up next, South Alabama on Tuesday night...

Nice win. Second game in a row where we went with a scoring drought. Scored over 100, but had a few times we went minutes without points, but then we'd go on a run. Get them early kinks out, because Gonzaga, Houston, Memphis, and Baylor coming up. I have enjoyed the first two games with this team.

It was streaming on SEC Network+. The replay is on ESPN+ (not sure if it requires the subscription or not for the replay).
I found a 12 minute game highlight that gave me a sense of what went on. Seemed like both teams shot well. The new kid down low looked like he had a good game. Should just get better and better as he gets more game experience under his belt.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 14/13 Alabama men’s basketball team scored 63 second-half points in an impressive 104-88 victory over Summit League preseason favorites South Dakota State in Coleman Coliseum Friday night.

Jahvon Quinerly led the five Crimson Tide players in double figures with a career-best 26 points to go along with a game-high eight assists in the victory. Jaden Shackelford added 23 points to earn his 14th career 20-point game, while Keon Ellis notched his first career double-double with 15 points and a career-best 13 rebounds in the victory.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

“South Dakota State is a quality team and they gave us a great game. We knew they would, they won their league last year and have 99 percent of that team returning this year. They gave us everything we could handle and outscored us in transition. It showed us that we have a lot of stuff we need to work on. That’s why we play these games. It’s really good that we could get a win while we got plenty of stuff exposed. Offensively, I thought we were pretty good tonight, particularly in the late first half and through the second. Defensively, we’ve got a way to go but we have some time to work on it. We’re going have to be better on Tuesday against South Alabama.”

Team Stats​

• After recording a plus-minus of +37 last Tuesday vs. Louisiana Tech, Keon Ellis had another stellar night with a +26 which gives him a total of +63 across Alabama’s first two games
  • Ellis also set a new career high in rebounds for the second consecutive game to open the year
  • The 63 points scored in a half were the most since UA posted 64 points in the second half vs. Georgia on Feb. 13, 2021
  • The last time Alabama hit the century mark in a game came on Feb. 13, 2021 when the Tide scored 115 points at home vs. Georgia (115-82)

First Half​

• Quinerly was an early presence for the Tide with seven points out of the gate
  • Down 16-14 at the 13:27 mark, The Tide went on a 9-0 run, capped by a dunk from Noah Gurley
  • With the score tied at 16-all at the 12:59 mark, Alabama went on a 7-0 run to take a 23-16 run
  • South Dakota would respond and eventually took a 36-32 at the under four media timeout
  • The Tide ended the half on a 9-2 run to establish a 41-38 lead at the break

Second half​

• The Tide hit six straight shots heading into the first media timeout, generating a 51-40 lead at the 17:21 mark
  • The 10-2 run to start the second half, combined with the 9-2 run to end the first half, turned a four-point deficit
  • Shackelford came out hot, scoring 10 points in the first 9:41
  • Quinerly ended with 17 of his 26-point total scored in the second half
  • The Tide went on a 11-0 run to extend its lead to 79-63 with 7:44 to play
  • Darius Miles (13) and JD Davison (6) scored all 19 of UA’s bench points, which was outscored 52-19

Up Next​

• Alabama will continue its four-game homestand when it hosts in-state foe South Alabama Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. CT on SEC Network+

Back
Top Bottom