| BSB/SB ⚾ Alabama's Mid-Week Series 2/21-22: TUES: Bama 7-4 over TN Tech (UT Martin, Weds @ 3CT)

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball came away with a 7-4 win over Tennessee Tech on Tuesday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 4-0 on the season.

The two teams traded runs in the first before a two-run third gave UA the lead. Included in that inning was a solo homer from Colby Shelton. Tech added one in the fourth, but Alabama answered with a pair in the fifth thanks to a two-run shot from Drew Williamson.

The Crimson Tide added one in the sixth, but TTU would not go away quietly. The Golden Eagles scored a pair in the seventh before Braylon Myers was able to get Alabama out the jam. The sophomore stranded the tying runs on base and was helped out with an insurance run in the seventh on a Will Hodo solo homer. Myers proceeded to retire Tech in order in the eighth and stranded a runner in the ninth for his first save of the season.

Myers finished his day with 2.2 innings of scoreless work, giving up one hit and recording one strikeout. Luke Holman (1-0) got the win in his first career start. The sophomore tossed 4.0 innings, allowing two runs on four hits and a pair of walks with one strikeout.

The offense was led by the Tide's 3-4 hitters in Andrew Pinckney and Williamson. Pinckney reached base in all five plate appearances, finishing a perfect 2-for-2 with a triple, two runs scored, a pair of walks and a hit-by-pitch. Williamson led the team in hits and RBI as part of a 3-for-4 effort that included his second home run in as many games, four RBI, one run and a walk.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"That wasn't our best effort today. I don't think we played noticeably well, but the bright side is that I don't think we would have won that game last year. Braylon Myers and Zane Probst, in particular, came in with multiple people on base and cleaned up some messes. The home runs also helped clean up some messes for us. My message to the team was 'we got to play better' – and hopefully we can learn from some mistakes while winning more ballgames."

How It Happened​

• T1 | Troy Baunsgard led off the game with a solo home run for TTU. (1-0, Tennessee Tech)
  • B1 | Drew Williamson pushed a run across on a ground ball double play with the bases loaded and no outs. (1-1)
  • B3 | Colby Shelton put the Tide in front with a solo home run to start the inning. Andrew Pinckney followed with a triple before Williamson brought him in on a single to right-center to extend the lead. (3-1, Alabama)
  • T4 | Tech cut the lead to one with a solo shot from John Dyer. (3-2, Alabama)
  • B5 | Pinckney led off the inning with a single. He came home in the next at-bat when Williamson sent a 2-1 pitch over the wall in right for his second homer in as many games. (5-2, Alabama)
  • B6 | Caden Rose reached on an error to start the frame. He then stole second with two down before coming in on a Williamson single to right-center to make it a four-run affair. (6-2, Alabama)
  • T7 | A throwing error started the inning for Tennessee Tech, allowing the runner to reach and advance to second. After a strikeout, the Golden Eagles crossed a run with an RBI-single. After a walk and another single loaded them up, a sacrifice fly added one more. (6-4, Alabama)
  • B7 | Will Hodo got a run back for the Crimson Tide with a solo homer. (7-4, Alabama)

Postgame Notes​

• Alabama finished with 11 hits and has totaled double-digit hits in each of the first four games this season.
  • Eight of the nine starters recorded at least one hit in today's game.
  • Drew Williamson homered in back-to-back games for the first time in his career with today's two-run blast. Williamson is the first Tide player to homer in consecutive contests since Dominic Tamez did so last season from April 24-26.
  • Caden Rose reached base safely in today's matchup and has now gotten aboard in 22 straight contests dating back to April 25 of last season.
  • ATTENDANCE: 2,792
The Crimson Tide will head back to work on Wednesday as Alabama hosts UT Martin for a 3 p.m. contest at The Joe. The Tide will look to right-hander Jackson Reynolds for the start with the Skyhawks calling on Zach Wager, a left-hander. Fans can catch all the action live on SEC Network+.

Make sure you dump that drink out or they're gonna have your picture at all exits after a second reprimand.

I'm not going today, my post was unclear I guess. I just wish I was going... good day to be there, perfect weather. I wish they'd play some of these midweek games at noon (other than the occasional one that slides into that spot)... I'd be all over those.

Next time, I'm going to just leave the park with my Pepsi concealed in a brown paper bag.

Back
Top Bottom