| NEWS Alabama stays No. 5 in CFP rankings before Iron Bowl against No. 15 - TideSports.com

B

Bama News

The University of Alabama stayed at No. 5 in the College Football Playoff rankings before its Iron Bowl meeting with No. 15 Auburn. UA also stayed put as Oregon fell from No. 6 to No. 14 after the loss to Arizona State, making UA’s Playoff path a little more clear.

In the full top 25 released by the Selection Committee Tuesday night, the top of the rankings saw a change: Ohio State taking LSU’s spot at No. 1 and the Tigers falling down to No. 2. No. 3 Clemson and No. 4 Georgia were also ahead of UA. Utah replaced Oregon at No. 6, with Oklahoma No. 7, Minnesota No. 8, Baylor No. 9 and Penn State No. 10.

Now, UA’s most likely path to Playoff begins with LSU, Ohio State and Clemson all going 13-0 and winning the SEC, Big 10 and ACC, LSU and Ohio State most likely eliminating Georgia and Minnesota from Playoff contention as they go (if Wisconsin doesn’t beat Minnesota this weekend and end that for the Gophers).

From there, Oregon’s second loss make it unlikely to get to the Playoff even if it beats Utah in the Pac 12 Championship Game, so UA would benefit from a Ducks win in that matchup.

Then, the lone wild card is Oklahoma. The 10-1 Sooners have a win over No. 9 Baylor on the road, and their one loss was by seven points on the road to a Kansas State team that has been ranked in the past. But the Committee has yet to reward the Sooners beyond their current No. 7 spot.

The chair of the Selection Committee, Rob Mullens, has said repeatedly through the weekly rankings that the Committee watches games and forms its opinions of teams and their quality of play that way. It benefited UA in the first rankings of the season, when UA — with no wins over ranked teams — was ranked ahead of Penn State, with two wins over then-ranked teams, a move that was justified by Alabama’s dominance of its schedule to that point.

Oklahoma has not shown itself to be a dominant team in recent weeks. Controversial officiating decisions played a role in both the 42-41 win over Iowa State and the 28-24 win over TCU last week; Oklahoma had to come back from a 28-3 deficit to beat Baylor.

Oklahoma does have two more chances against ranked opponents, this week against No. 21 Oklahoma State and a rematch with Baylor in the Big 12 Championship Game. Quality wins did impact Georgia’s standing at No. 4 — having wins over Florida, Auburn and Notre Dame — so two late additions in that column could sway things in favor of the Sooners.

Utah and Oklahoma also have something going for them in their pursuit to leapfrog Alabama: the potential for a conference championship.

The protocol set forth for the CFP Selection Committee lists championships won as the top criteria, ahead of strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and comparative outcomes of common opponents without incentivizing margin of victory.

That same protocol also specifies the Committee has, “discretion to select a non-champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non-champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country.”

The word unequivocally came up when UA has been put in the Playoff ahead of Big 10 champion Ohio State in the past. The Committee’s estimation of the gap between UA, Utah and Oklahoma could play a major factor in UA’s Playoff hopes.

Mullens gave no indication to the size of that gap when asked about it on a teleconference.

“We spent considerable time talking about 4 through 6 and 4 through 9, and again, we’re paying attention to full resumes. There’s not a metric for closeness,” Mullens said. “Alabama has been dominant with the loss to LSU and we’re aware of the injuries, as I’ve mentioned.

“Utah, I think I’ve already mentioned on this call, only loss is on the road to a ranked opponent (No. 22 USC) with their running back (Zack Moss) out for the majority of the game.”

FULL RANKINGS

1. Ohio State
  2. LSU
  3. Clemson
  4. Georgia
  5. Alabama
  6. Utah
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Minnesota
  9. Baylor
  10. Penn State
  11. Florida
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Michigan
  14. Oregon
  15. Auburn
  16. Notre Dame
  17. Iowa
  18. Memphis
  19. Cincinnati
  20. Boise State
  21. Oklahoma State
  22. Southern Cal
  23. Iowa State
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Appalachian State

What I have been reading that no way in He double hockey stick will Bama get in. If LSW lose still in, If UGA lose still in, If Ohio St. or Clemson lose Utah is in! Bama lose to LSW doesn't count, but a lose to and un rank does count?

Hi Rick. I have to disagree with the "if UGA loses they are still in". I think that is a much longer shot than Alabama making it considering the loss to South Carolina. (assuming BAMA beats the Barn). And what about Utah? I think Oregon handles them but that is my guess.

The narrative I see being pushed is LSU is in no matter what (already assumes they beat A&M), OSU is in if they win out, Clemson in if they win out.

For the one loss teams, Bama must win big against the Barn otherwise a one loss pac 12 or Big 12 champion will go in because Bama is not unequivocally better because of the defense and injury to Tua.

Hard for me to believe that a pac-12 Utah would go in over Bama. OU could be problematic because of they are a name program in CFB.

Regardless of all of this "what ifs" Bama just needs go beat the barn on their home turf. Roll Tide!!!!

Oregon should beat a mediocre utah team....I watched a late game this year...they didn’t play like one of 4 best teams...was weak...
Oklahoma....well....they may jump a one lost bama....Baylor...u,mmmmm.probley not...
Osu...will have a hard time with Michigan....very...on the road....
Wont matter...they are better than anybody else in big 10
UGA out with loss...
Bama fatigue....may get us....

What I have been reading that no way in He double hockey stick will Bama get in. If LSW lose still in, If UGA lose still in, If Ohio St. or Clemson lose Utah is in! Bama lose to LSW doesn't count, but a lose to and un rank does count?
There are a few truths in an uncertain world, but here's one...

What you're reading, and what you're hearing, from those who cover college football have no bearing on what the committee will do when they make their final four choices.

There are a few truths in an uncertain world, but here's one...

What you're reading, and what you're hearing, from those who cover college football have no bearing on what the committee will do when they make their final four choices.
Thats true...we have to accept that...2017 was a gracious gift....and i know about osu loss...but still 2 from a conference and one without conference title...
And you my friend...don’t think there is a need to expand to 6-8......
But....letsjust leave it there...our contrasting feelings are well....known...
This year..as opposed to earlier....is the sorry ass shit OOC schedule...as a negative point on what happens ...
OOC schedules are a point that has been brought up so much about pac 12 and big 12 teams...now..its bama

@TerryP you really believe that the talking heads have no influence on the people in the room? You may be right but I tend to believe it does at some level. It certainly influences public opinion...

Thats true...we have to accept that...2017 was a gracious gift....and i know about osu loss...but still 2 from a conference and one without conference title...
And you my friend...don’t think there is a need to expand to 6-8......
But....letsjust leave it there...our contrasting feelings are well....known...
This year..as opposed to earlier....is the sorry ass shit OOC schedule...as a negative point on what happens ...
OOC schedules are a point that has been brought up so much about pac 12 and big 12 teams...now..its bama
Simply put, this is not the case for either of those conferences you've just mentioned.

The Big 12 has been left out of one playoff. That result came because Ohio State, playing its third string QB, hammered Wisconsin in the B1G title game and took that spot from TCU (or Baylor who was sixth at the time.) TCU closed their season out with a huge win as well—against a team that was 2-10 on the season.

The PAC? They didn't get in last year due to conference losses. It had nothing to do with out of conference. Washington was a three loss team with to two teams who lost three and four games in the regular season.

The year before wasn't due to OOC. It was because they didn't have a team even in the top 10. USC, the conference champion, lost to a four loss WSU team and was killed by Notre Dame (who lost three on the season.)

The PAC didn't make it in the 2016 playoffs with Stanford as their conference champ. Losing to Northwestern to open the season, and then to a four loss Oregon team, left them out of the discussion.

It's my view you want this to be about OOC games. It has not had a bearing on the committee's decision when leaving a team out that was in the discussion with either of these two mentioned conferences. In fact, the suggestion of the OOC games being the "end all, be all" here and in the same breath mentioning 2017 was a gift flies directly in the face of how bad Florida State was that season. Hell, their best win was against an eight win Wake Forest team.

@TerryP you really believe that the talking heads have no influence on the people in the room? You may be right but I tend to believe it does at some level. It certainly influences public opinion...
When has it had a bearing? We've been through five years of the playoffs and we've not seen the "talking heads" have any role in the decisions of the committee.

I keep seeing "Bama fatigue" and I agree with it up to a point. That point was first drawn in the sand back in 2012. And since then? Hell, in every sense we can think Bama has been treated very fairly since the inception of the playoffs.

On a somewhat related note

Now I'm seeing "here's the case for eight teams." If Bama is left out because of its loss to LSU so be it. I don't see a reason to expand the playoffs just because Bama didn't make it in. It reeks of "we're not good enough, so let's make it bigger." That said, a win this weekend and I believe they are in.

I know, I know...here comes the "what about Utah?" The committee is wise enough to realize that there are 8-3 teams out there that are better than one loss teams like Utah. They are savvy enough when it comes to football to see OU isn't what they have been on offense and their defense is only slightly better.

November IS the beginning of the playoffs. It's that simple to me.

Simply put, this is not the case for either of those conferences you've just mentioned.

The Big 12 has been left out of one playoff. That result came because Ohio State, playing its third string QB, hammered Wisconsin in the B1G title game and took that spot from TCU (or Baylor who was sixth at the time.) TCU closed their season out with a huge win as well—against a team that was 2-10 on the season.

The PAC? They didn't get in last year due to conference losses. It had nothing to do with out of conference. Washington was a three loss team with to two teams who lost three and four games in the regular season.

The year before wasn't due to OOC. It was because they didn't have a team even in the top 10. USC, the conference champion, lost to a four loss WSU team and was killed by Notre Dame (who lost three on the season.)

The PAC didn't make it in the 2016 playoffs with Stanford as their conference champ. Losing to Northwestern to open the season, and then to a four loss Oregon team, left them out of the discussion.

It's my view you want this to be about OOC games. It has not had a bearing on the committee's decision when leaving a team out that was in the discussion with either of these two mentioned conferences. In fact, the suggestion of the OOC games being the "end all, be all" here and in the same breath mentioning 2017 was a gift flies directly in the face of how bad Florida State was that season. Hell, their best win was against an eight win Wake Forest team.
Good gosh..its right before u....and unseen...
2017 bama had fsu...#1 vs #2.... o grap...they lost their QB...ooops...
...It is about the season..Bama has beaten...WHO... a big OOC would have been great...we played....fricking Duke... along west Westerns and southerns...ad maybe mids... "o but the have Cutcliff....they are competitive..... shetttt.."
Talk all along each year is about the pac 12 teams and weak OOC..
if bama gets in....or left out of best 4 teams...which they are...
The push for 8 will be great...and its time

Good gosh..its right before u....and unseen...
2017 bama had fsu...#1 vs #2.... o grap...they lost their QB...ooops...
...It is about the season..Bama has beaten...WHO... a big OOC would have been great...we played....fricking Duke... along west Westerns and southerns...ad maybe mids... "o but the have Cutcliff....they are competitive..... shetttt.."
Talk all along each year is about the pac 12 teams and weak OOC..
if bama gets in....or left out of best 4 teams...which they are...
The push for 8 will be great...and its time
FSU being ranked #3 in the preseason poll had nothing to do with how the committee processes the teams at the end of the year. It's no different than how they are going to look at Texas this season.

Now you're going to the point of completely changing what I said about Cut and Duke. I said they'd be a challenge and they were. Do you not recall how many different stunts and schemes they employed during that game? Hell, gave Bama a better game than USC, or Michigan for that matter.

Please, take the time and find someone talking about the PAC and OOC keeping them out of the playoffs this season. Hell, one of the teams we're discussing here is Oregon and they played Auburn. If you will take time to look you'll see the PAC was being written out of the playoffs in September of this season. By week three , three of their top contenders for a spot (USC, Oregon, and Washington) had already lost a game. Denich mentioned OOC and Utah back in September before they lost to USC (on their third string QB.)

And again, we're right back there ... if Bama is left out it's time to expand. Accurately translated, if they aren't good enough to make the four, let's expand the playoffs. And you know my thoughts on this ... but it might be difficult to put the picture in its right reference.

hqdefault.jpg

At various times we've talked about the opinions we hear from different media outlets and personalities. Often those opinions are met with criticisms based on what we, as fans, have seen throughout the season.

One would think that fans wouldn't have a better grasp on teams than those reporting on the national scene, right? Here's an example of just how out of the loop some of them can be.

I like Chris Brown. His books have been great reads and his commentary and breakdowns of offenses and defenses are among the best. But, here's an example of Brown not watching the games but paying attention to the metrics alone.

At a glance this seems like a point that should carry weight, right? But then again, if he had actually watched the games he would have noticed this sooner.

Game control. It's one of the metrics the committee uses every year and one you'll see they've pointed to after their final selections. It's another point Brown simply misses.

In OU's last four games they've won three by a combined total of eight points. Two of those wins were against unranked teams: TCU and Iowa State who can boast a 5-6 and 7-4 record respectively. The loss, as you know, to a 7-4 Kansas State team.

If you can, or are willing, to take anything away from this it should be this point. The committee takes a lot deeper look at teams than your everyday media outlets/members do.

This is why there shouldn't' be angst about OU jumping an 11-1 Alabama team.

FSU being ranked #3 in the preseason poll had nothing to do with how the committee processes the teams at the end of the year. It's no different than how they are going to look at Texas this season.

Now you're going to the point of completely changing what I said about Cut and Duke. I said they'd be a challenge and they were. Do you not recall how many different stunts and schemes they employed during that game? Hell, gave Bama a better game than USC, or Michigan for that matter.

Please, take the time and find someone talking about the PAC and OOC keeping them out of the playoffs this season. Hell, one of the teams we're discussing here is Oregon and they played Auburn. If you will take time to look you'll see the PAC was being written out of the playoffs in September of this season. By week three , three of their top contenders for a spot (USC, Oregon, and Washington) had already lost a game. Denich mentioned OOC and Utah back in September before they lost to USC (on their third string QB.)

And again, we're right back there ... if Bama is left out it's time to expand. Accurately translated, if they aren't good enough to make the four, let's expand the playoffs. And you know my thoughts on this ... but it might be difficult to put the picture in its right reference.

hqdefault.jpg
Seriously terry...i find the reference to that picture unacceptable....
Cant have a discussion with different points of view...without such?
Sad!

Back
Top Bottom