| BSB/SB ðŸ¥Ž Alabama Softball Defeats Marshall, 3-1, in Tuesday Doubleheader Split

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Staff

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama softball (32-12) breaks from conference play for a midweek doubleheader on Tuesday, April 18 in Huntington, W. Va., facing Liberty (28-15) at 12 p.m. CT and Marshall (36-5) at 2:30 p.m. CT. The games are serving as a homecoming trip for fifth-year senior Montana Fouts.

This Week: vs. Liberty/at Marshall​

• Huntington, W. Va. – Dot Hicks Field
  • Video: ESPN+ (Streaming) Marshall Game Only
  • Radio: The Crimson Tide Sports Network at 97.5 FM in Tuscaloosa | nick975.com | Varsity App
  • Tuesday, April 18 vs. Liberty – 12 p.m. CT
  • Tuesday, April 18 at Marshall – 2:30 p.m. CT

Bama trails Liberty 5-3 (T7) in the first game of the day... Salter got the start, and Fouts came in to relive her and gave up a 3 run HR. Liberty has made the most of their opportunities, I'll give them that. They have just 3 hits total.

Side note: Liberty's HC is Dot Richardson, a name that even the most casual softball followers should recognize.

HUNTINGTON, W. VA. – Alabama softball split its Tuesday doubleheader, falling 5-3 in the opening game against Liberty before bouncing back with a 3-1 win over Marshall.

An infield RBI single from Jenna Johnson got Alabama (33-13) on the board in the first inning against Liberty (29-15) before the Flames tied it up in the third with a solo home run. Later in the inning with two in scoring position, a squeeze bunt brought the runner home from third as Liberty took a 2-1 lead. Alabama tied it back up in the next half-inning with an Ashley Prange RBI single and then a Bailey Dowling solo homer in the fifth put the Tide back in the lead, 3-2. The lead was short-lived as a three-run homer from the Flames in the bottom half of the inning swung it aback in their favor, 5-3, which ultimately proved final.

In the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader against host Marshall (36-6), it remained scoreless until a leadoff double from Ally Shipman in the sixth led to a two-run home run from Bailey Dowling. Later with two out and a runner at third, a fielding error extended the inning as an unearned run came home to make it 3-0. The Tide had the bases loaded with two out in the seventh but couldn't add to its three-run lead. The Thundering Herd drove in a two-out run in the bottom of the seventh to break up the shutout and bring the potential tying run to the plate, but Montana Fouts (17-7) closed out the game for her fourth save of the season and the 3-1 win.

Shipman and Dowling each had four combined hits between the two games, including a pair of home runs from Dowling. Lauren Esman (4-2) got the win in game two, retiring the first 13 batters before giving up her first hit, while Fouts closed it out for her fourth save of the season.

From Head Coach Patrick Murphy

"I think today was just a win-win for the game of softball. To see all these people out here on a Tuesday afternoon to watch a college softball game was incredible for all three teams today."

From Montana Fouts

"I'm always happy to play the game anywhere, but it's really special being home in front of my family, friends and especially all these little girls because I used to be just like that."

Yesterday was a big crowd for Marshall softball, located about 45 minutes from where I live. Fouts has a cut on her hand and only pitched one inning each against Liberty and Marshall. I was glad she got to come within 30 minutes of her hometown and play. My only regret is that I didnt get to attend the game.

I didn't know about the cut on Montana's hand but she did pitch 3.2 innings against Liberty and gave up the winning 3 run homerun in the 5th. She took the loss in that game.

For the Marshall game, that team was 36-5 coming in and hadn't lost at home this season so it was a decent win. Liberty is a very solid team that took Oklahoma into extras to start the season losing 1-0 in 8 innings. They also lost to UCLA 3-2 earlier in the year just for some perspective. Obviously we need to win games like that but both of those teams we played are 2nd in their respective conferences and both have a good shot at making the NCAA tournament.

I didn't know about the cut on Montana's hand but she did pitch 3.2 innings against Liberty and gave up the winning 3 run homerun in the 5th. She took the loss in that game.

For the Marshall game, that team was 36-5 coming in and hadn't lost at home this season so it was a decent win. Liberty is a very solid team that took Oklahoma into extras to start the season losing 1-0 in 8 innings. They also lost to UCLA 3-2 earlier in the year just for some perspective. Obviously we need to win games like that but both of those teams we played are 2nd in their respective conferences and both have a good shot at making the NCAA tournament.

Just to add to that… They had a higher RPI than a couple of SEC teams before the win.

Will also add this... saw more than 1 video and several pictures on social media yesterday and last night of the crowd and the amount of kids who were there and trying to get a glimpse of Fouts (and the rest of the team) before the game, during warmups, etc. Alabama softball carries a rock star-like status with young fans that I'd imagine is only rivaled by OU and maybe Florida. A lot of that has to do with players like Fouts and McCleney who have played for Bama and repped them well... but a lot of it is equity built up over time from the way Murphy has marketed the program from the start. It's pretty cool to see.

Here is one example...

Back
Top Bottom