| NEWS Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa gifts signed jersey for slain Phenix City 12-year-old to be buried in

By Alex Jones | October 11, 2019 at 3:21 PM EDT - Updated October 11 at 4:48 PM
PHENIX CITY, Ala. (WTVM) - The family of slain Phenix City 12-year-old John Jones has received a very special gift from University of Alabama football player Tua Tagovailoa.
John was a huge fan of the Alabama Crimson Tide and quarterback Tagovailoa.
Because of his love for football, John’s family wanted him to be buried in an Alabama jersey.
When Tagovailoa heard John’s tragic story, he signed a jersey for John and sent it to his family.
Friends of the family say when John’s father received the jersey, it was “overwhelming," saying thank you three or four times.
The jersey signed by the player who wears number 13, says “Roll Tide!! Rest Easy Buddy!!”
Family friends also say that John will be buried in the jersey.

Two lives destroyed over a damn bicycle. I just can't wrap my head around this. This makes me sad.

An incident occurred late Friday afternoon when Jones allegedly didn’t want to part with his bicycle at the home of another juvenile who lives in the same Phenix City neighborhood, according to media outlets. It is believed that the other juvenile shot Jones with a gun he’d had in his possession for quite some time.

It really is a mess. The kid who killed him will not face the legal repercussions he would if he was a little older though. Can't be tried as an adult nor can his name be released. And worst case is they hold him til he is 18. His family is going to have to leave town though as everybody will know who they are soon.

Phenix City boy who was shot and killed last Friday laid to rest

A Phenix City boy was shot and killed last Friday was laid to rest this afternoon.

The family held funeral services for 12-year-old John Jones at Golden Acres Baptist Church in Phenix City. Several friends and family attended the funeral wearing Alabama football apparel–because John was a big fan of the team.

He was also a huge fan of cars and trucks, so the family invited several car clubs to join the funeral procession. Multiple car clubs were in attendance: Columbus Cars and Coffee, Wolf Pack, Creative Whips and United Ambitions.

“I think today’s events shows there’s a positive thing going on in the car community. It’s a genuine love. Like we talked about today, no one thinks about things until it hits home. The thing about it is with this particular child is like its all our child. The child that unfortunately we’re saying goodbye to, some of his members are apart of another club. But once the call came out, as you can see everybody came together. Because in the car club community, like I said one child is everybody’s child,” says Richard Harris, a member of Columbus Cars and Coffee.

Jones was buried in a signed Alabama jersey from quarterback Tua Tagovoilua.

Folks at the funeral said it was positive news that the entire Columbus and Phenix City area needed.

I just watch this on TV right after the game WRBL-TV 3!
Also the one that fired the gun has been arrested!

Back
Top Bottom