| BSB/SB ⚾ Alabama opens the season rankedf #20 by D1Baseball

I'm still alive because Bama has not made a Final Four nor won a CWS. Made a deal with the devil. :D
Best chance for baseball in 1997. Had Roberto Vaz, power hitter and junk ball pitcher, not stepped on a baseball during practice and turned his ankle, we would have a CWS title. Lost final to LSU 13-6 who we had destroyed in season ending series. Losing him cost us the title. We played for the title vs the sHorthorns and Roger Cleamons in 83, losing 4-3. Close but no cigar...

Best chance for baseball in 1997. Had Roberto Vaz, power hitter and junk ball pitcher, not stepped on a baseball during practice and turned his ankle, we would have a CWS title. Lost final to LSU 13-6 who we had destroyed in season ending series. Losing him cost us the title. We played for the title vs the sHorthorns and Roger Cleamons in 83, losing 4-3. Close but no cigar...
IMO, the '83 team was Bama's best team. Beat Arizona State with Barry Bonds twice. Second win was in the semifinals and put Bama in the final against Texas. Magadan was 11 for 11 before anyone got him out in the CWS. Very few, if ANY, CWS Champions would have beaten '83 Texas. That team had FOUR pitchers and four position players play MLB. Clemens was not even the ace of the staff and did not make the All Tournament team. Ace was Calvin Schiraldi who was the MVP of the CWS.

The following members of the Texas Longhorns baseball program were drafted in the 1983 Major League Baseball Draft.[4]

PlayerPositionRoundOverallMLB Team
Roger ClemensRHP1st19thBoston Red Sox
Calvin SchiraldiRHP1st27thNew York Mets
Mike BrumleySS2nd33rdBoston Red Sox
Jeff HearronC4th89thToronto Blue Jays
Kirk KillingsworthRHP7th161stTexas Rangers
Jose Tolentino1B7th163rdOakland Athletics
Mike CapelRHP13th320thChicago Cubs
Bryan Burrows3B33rd778thPittsburgh Pirates

Last edited:
That ‘97 club could absolutely MASH 1-9 in the order!! Made me sick when Vaz went down.
I have a cousin that was the bullpen catcher on that ‘83 bunch. He became my HS coach my junior year and he told us of his batting against either Clemens or Schiraldi. 3 pitches, 3 strikes, he went back to the dugout!

That ‘97 club could absolutely MASH 1-9 in the order!! Made me sick when Vaz went down.
I have a cousin that was the bullpen catcher on that ‘83 bunch. He became my HS coach my junior year and he told us of his batting against either Clemens or Schiraldi. 3 pitches, 3 strikes, he went back to the dugout!
Know a former aU* baseball player who attended the games in Lee county that year. He said batting practice before game was the most awesome thing he ever saw.

Back
Top Bottom