| NEWS Alabama introduces new program to keep students in Bryant-Denny - AL.com

B

Bama News

Alabama introduces new program to keep students in Bryant-Denny

An email sent Monday to every corner of the University of Alabama campus had Nick Saban’s fingerprints all over it.

The message from the school’s athletic department alerted students about their options for buying tickets, informing them of their eligibility for both full and split packages that included a select number of home games.

There was also a section outlining the prices — $20 for an SEC matchup and $15 for one of those rent-a-win affairs.

Then, at the very end, was a note describing a new initiative called “Tide Loyalty Points.”

“Through the Tide Loyalty Points program, students will earn points for attending home football games and for their support in the 4th quarter,” the email read. “Those points will contribute to students’ priority access to regular and postseason tickets.”

The introduction of this new measure came a mere six months after Saban, the Crimson Tide’s hard-charging coach, used his bully pulpit at the Mal Moore Athletic Center in October to decry the attendance of students at Alabama’s 56-14 win over Louisiana-Lafayette, which kicked off at 11 a.m. and featured swaths of empty seats at Bryant-Denny Stadium in the sections populated by current undergrads and those seeking advanced degrees.

"I don't think they're entitled to anything either," Saban said. "Me personally, I think it ought to be first come, first served. And if they don't want to come to the game, they don't have to come but I'm sure there's enough people out here who would like to come to the games and we'd like for them to come too because they support the players. So, I've never said anything about that before.”

But that wasn’t exactly true; Saban complained about the very same issue in 2013. And the school has taken steps in the past to galvanize support. For instance, it created a penalty system where points are docked from a student’s Action card if he or she chooses not to use a ticket, which could hinder the ability to purchase postseason tickets.

Most recently, the school brought back the controversial “Dixieland Delight,” which was played in the fourth quarter during the final four home games of the 2018 season as a way to discourage people from leaving early.

Now comes the “Tide Loyalty Points,” which appears to be a joint response from Alabama athletics and the student government to address Saban’s concerns and incentivize committed attendance.

“Look, our players work too hard and they deserve to have everything and people supporting them in every way and have tremendous spirit for what they’ve done," Saban said last fall. “And they might not be able to continue to do it and we’re going to work hard to continue that but there’s a part of it that other people need to support them, too. And there has to be a sprit that makes it special to play here because that’s what makes it special to be here. And it that’s not here, does it continue to be special to be here or not? That’s the question everybody has to ask and I’m asking it right now.”

Months later, Alabama is trying to promote the kind of answer Saban was seeking when he called out the students for leaving prematurely or simply not showing altogether.

Never figured how that keeps them @ BD in fourth quarter...
There are so many...and we aint students.....in our section that start leaving at start of fourth.....gotta beat the traffic....all games...i guess for them

Last edited:
I don't think they are focused on the problem. But glad they are giving out some perks to those who care. Will this get extend to the fans eventually?

Ha, I agree with you, but maybe in a different light. A lot want to blame the fraternities, but the fraternities are an even longer branch of the university. Most that never pledged don't like them and have nasty things to say, but whatever.

I think a lot of the problem are these ticket brokers that the freaking university sells to. These assholes get blocks and blocks of tickets and then try selling tickets for two and three times their face value for the crappy out of conference games we play. Now how on Earth can you possibly maintain a fanbase and create more gameday interest when people are priced out of even the shitty games? I mean, how can lower income kids EVER come to a game when the university participates in these gouging practices? I made the decision to go to college, get an education to make good money where I can afford to pay my season ticket prices and donations and take my kids, but that's not the case with the youth in the state that cannot be responsible for the kind of money their parents make, yet they would die to come to a game. I'm a hardcore Conservative and don't believe you just give people free shit, but I do believe in not taking it out on the youth based off the decisions their parents made. The university needs to create a youth program that can work with schools within the state to bring kids to games and let them experience things they never ever would be able to until they were working adults. The whole thing to me is more of giving my kids memories than me getting off at watching 19-22 year olds play football. I enjoy watching, but the experience as a whole is for my kids.

I'll never forget going to that charity flag football game over at Central after A-Day one year and waiting to see Trent Richardson when a little boy next to me started talking to me and I could tell he did not come from money, but that kid loved his Crimson Tide and wanted to play for Alabama when he got older. I asked if he had ever been to a game and he said "no", and it broke me down inside because I realized as a kid his parents most likely would never be able to afford to take him. Breaks my heart still to this day, because I know there are many many others. So the university needs to quit using the students as a scapegoat and go to the root of the issue, which is the scalpers and these brokers that get tickets from the school and outprice 99% of fans. You're not going to change my mind of 3,000 students leaving early when you have 20,000 empty seats up top and scattered throughout the lower bowl. I'm all for capitalism and making money, but don't bitch at the paying students when you are allowing brokers to take advantage of many other fans. You're mad at a few people leaving early more than the ten times more empty seats that were never filled? Give me a break.

The other issue I have is they are charging $25 a person to be on the waiting list. How long is that list now, 35,000 maybe? And we have empty fucking seats? In conclusion, I agree with you that baiting students is not the proper course of action. It's an action and will hopefully spark some interest, but it's not going to solve the problem.

And game attendance and quality of seats ( ever wonder what sitting in top rows of the end zone would be like...shit i expect) and visiting teams not even selling their allotment..including sec teams...last year miss state...texas AnM.......
Except LSU...AU games....there are plenty of empty seats....
I agree with @planomateo ...they really arent focused on problem....
Decision makers have head in clouds....

Are ticket brokers involved in student tickets?

For the record, I'm not a fan of the block seating. What percentage of student tickets are allocated to blocks?

No, they aren't to my knowledge. I would imagine maybe 30% (total guess just on a visual). Not near as much as everyone thinks. Just parts of that one endzone. Fraternities are student organizations, so what's the difference between them and the ambassador seating they give those you see in the crimson sportcoats? I have zero issues with block seating, especially considering the entire stadium is in essence block seating with their donation amount levels. The university profits off fraternities, so I see zero reason why they shouldn't receive some preferential treatment with things like this. No different than any of the rest of us having reserved seats because we pay for them. Old picture below, but it's not just fraternities, there are other student organizations as well that are included in the blocked seating not just the evil fraternities.

Saban has expressed his displeasure with those that leave early and really this is the only way to “hold something” over the students heads to keep their asses in the seats.
Here’s an idea! Instead of playing “Dixieland Delight” at the start of the 4th, wait until around the 8-10 minute mark. Students stay longer for the blowouts and the backups play in front of a few more faces. As far as those of us in the real world, Saban can bitch and moan all he wants, but he can’t control us or how we react to 100° heat and 3+ hour drives back home. People will say, “if you schedule better we will stay!” Until there is some type of uniform rule stating P5 v P5 only, Saban isn’t going to sacrifice a shot at winning at Natty just to put more asses in the seats for 3+ hours in the blistering Alabama sun in September!!!

Martin Houston brought up something yesterday that was interesting.

A fan in the stands made a comment to him at the presentation of the Iron Bowl trophy. Where is the rest of the football team?

Not to mention, many of the football players left after trophy presentation. Did Nick stick around?

Let that sink in...

Martin Houston brought up something yesterday that was interesting.

A fan in the stands made a comment to him at the presentation of the Iron Bowl trophy. Where is the rest of the football team?

Not to mention, many of the football players left after trophy presentation. Did Nick stick around?

Let that sink in...
I think that speaks more to the apathy for the trophy.

Back
Top Bottom