| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Alabama Defense Stifles Ole Miss in 84-62 Win Over the Rebels

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama men's basketball returns home for its first game in 2023, as the Crimson Tide welcome Ole Miss to Coleman Coliseum. For the fifth straight week, the Tide are ranked in the Top 10 in the AP Top 25 Poll, starting the week ranked No. 7.

The Tide have won three straight games against the Rebels inside of Coleman Coliseum, most recently 82-64 in 2020, as Tuesday's game features two of the best scorers in the Southeastern Conference as Alabama's Brandon Miller ranks No. 1 in the SEC in points per game (19.2) and Ole Miss' Matthew Murrell ranks No. 10 in the conference (14.8).

The Broadcast​

Tuesday's game is set for an 8 p.m. tipoff and will be aired on the SEC Network with Mike Morgan (play-by-play) and Daymeon Fishback (analyst) on the call and Alyssa Lang on the sideline.

The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call, while Tom Stipe (engineer) is turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Ole Miss took Tennessee down to the wire at home in their opener. Oats usually hasn't had any trouble against Kermit Davis, but they're no slouch. I hope this is the start of Alabama shooting lights out.

That alley oop!

damn-damn-damn-damn.gif

Last edited:
Pretty complete game big picture. Muuuuuch improved turnovers. Only surprising thing was OM outrebounded Bama and had list 18 offensive boards. Very surprising because rebounding has been a consistent strength of this team.

The run for the next 2-4 games is tough run. I had predicted a 2-2 run for the first 4 games but had a loss coming on the road to State which did not happen. They have Kentucky at home but it is still Kentucky. Then the Arkansas game which will certainly be a test.

In the mean time lets enjoy a 22 point home win against a team that took the Viles to the wire.

I find it a little funny we're seeing references to being outrebounded last night. Yes, there was a big discrepancy in offensive boards: when you're shooting 62.5% from behind the arc and have a field goal percentage that's over 57% ... you're not going to get as many, ya know?

(I just need to change my username to context.)

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 7/7 Alabama men's basketball team won its third straight game, defeating Ole Miss 84-62 in its Southeastern Conference home opener Tuesday night. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 12-2 overall and 2-0 in SEC play. Alabama's 12-2 start to the season is UA's best since the 2014-15 campaign.

The Crimson Tide's defense was exceptional throughout the contest, holding the Rebels to just 34.8 percent (24-69) from the field and only 8.3 percent (2-24) from beyond the arc.

The Crimson Tide had five players in double figures, led by Brandon Miller's game-high 17 points. Mark Sears added 16, including nine in the opening half, combining with Jaden Bradley (14), Jahvon Quinerly (11) and Noah Clowney (10) to lead the offensive effort.

Alabama's bench provided the spark for the offense in the opening 20 minutes, scoring seven points within the first 10 minutes. After starting out the night 3-10 from the field, the Tide quickly got hot, shooting 70 percent (14-20) the remainder of the half.

Leading 14-12 in the early going, Alabama used three separate 7-0 runs throughout a span of 11 minutes to result in outscoring the Rebels 30-11 over the final 11:24 to head into the break with a 44-23 lead.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"When competing for an SEC Championships, you have to take care of your home games. We got the win tonight. I've made a big point emphasis on the turnovers, and they were way down. I thought we were much better there tonight, and I thought our defense was decent. We were obviously assisted by them not shooting the three well. I was a little disappointed with our effort once we built the lead up there in the middle of the second half. I think we have got to do a better job of closing games playing hard, whether you've got a lead or it's a tight game. I think even at Mississippi State, we didn't close that game great either. We've got to do a better game closing out games with the lead, but that is a good spot to be in now where you must worry about closing games with the lead. I'm happy with the guys' effort, we need to do a better job on the glass. They outrebounded us by 10 in the second half, so that is an issue, which is going to be a big issue against Kentucky (Saturday). All in all, I'm happy with the guys. I think the ball moved and we took care of it. Our guys made shots, and it was a good night overall. We're just going to have to clean up a few things."

TEAM STATS​

• The Crimson Tide improves to 7-0 this season inside Coleman Coliseum.
  • Alabama committed just seven turnovers in the contest, the Crimson Tide's lowest all season
  • Brandon Miller led the Tide on offense with a game-leading 17 points, along with contributing five rebounds and two assists in the effort
  • Alabama has now won six straight games over the Ole Miss Rebels dating back to 2017
  • The Crimson Tide is 2-0 to start SEC play for three consecutive seasons
  • Alabama's 21-point lead over Ole Miss was the largest halftime lead that UA has had this season; the previous high was when it led Jacksonville State, 51-39, at the intermission on November 18
  • The Crimson Tide shot 45 percent (9-20) from beyond the arc, while holding the Rebels to just 8.3 percent (2-24)

FIRST HALF​

• Mark Sears led all scorers with nine first half points, also adding three rebounds and an assist
  • After trading baskets for the opening minutes, the Tide used an 9-2 run over 2:37 to take a 23-14 lead
  • Charles Bediako set the tone on defense for the Tide, recording two blocks within the first two minutes of the game
  • Alabama ended the half on a 9-0 run to take a 44-23 lead into halftime
  • The Tide shot 56 percent (17-30) from the field while holding the Rebels to just 28 percent (10-35)
  • Alabama shot 62 percent (5-8) from beyond the arc compared to just 13 percent (2-15) from Ole Miss
  • The Crimson Tide's bench scored 15 points, led by seven from Noah Gurley
  • The Crimson Tide dished out eight first half assists, with Jaden Bradley and Jahvon Quinerly leading the way with a pair apiece

SECOND HALF​

• After an Ole Miss basket in the opening minute cut the Tide's lead to 19, 44-25, Alabama maintained a 20-plus point lead throughout a majority of the final 20 minutes
  • Jaden Bradley got hot offensively in the second half, leading the Tide with 11 points in the period
  • Bradley did his damage from the free throw line in the second half, the freshman point guard shot 7-8 from the charity stripe in the second half
  • Alabama's perimeter defense stifled the Rebels, who did not make a single three (0-9) in the half
  • The Crimson Tide only recorded three second half turnovers

UP NEXT​

• Alabama will return to Coleman Coliseum on Jan. 7 to face Kentucky
  • The Crimson Tide will tip-off against the Wildcats at noon CT with the contest airing live on the ESPN

Back
Top Bottom