| MBB/WBB 🏀 Alabama Defeats Florida 97-69 to Improve to 11-0 in SEC for First Time since 1955-56

One thing I will say is we better hope to defend the big guys better, because Purdue has one that is taller and thicker than Castleton.
I think Pringle may be able to defend bigs better than Bediako. He has a little more mass.

In this game what was up with Gurley? I never saw him in the game was this an injury or something else?

Dominant win now on to the next one. Can they put two back to back high energy dominant games? They need to take the same defensive energy they had in the first half down to the cow pasture. The barn is backed into a corner and they are going to play better at their place, They will feed of their crowd if Bama doesn't take them out of the game.

Last edited:

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 3/3 Alabama men's basketball team continued its winning ways Wednesday night, capturing a 97-69 victory over the Florida Gators in Coleman Coliseum. With the win, Alabama improved to 11-0 in SEC play for the first time since the 1955-56 Rocket 8 team achieved the feat, and moved to 21-3 on the season which is the program's best start through 24 games since the 1975-76 campaign.

Brandon Miller led Alabama in scoring with 24, marking his ninth career game surpassing the 20-point mark. Miller also led the Tide in rebounds, pulling down nine. Sears combined with Miller to lead the offensive effort, contributing 19 points, with Jahvon Quinerly adding 11 points off the bench.

Alabama was dominant on both ends of the court in the opening 20 minutes, establishing a 52-23 lead heading into intermission. The Tide shot 56 percent (18-32) from the field in the opening stanza, with the Gators only making 23 percent (7-30).

Colin Castleton led the way for Florida (13-11, 6-5 SEC) with a double-double of 29 points on nine made field goals and 10 boards.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"That was the way we wanted to come out. I thought our starters did a great job starting the game. The first half was great. We played a lot more like we're accustomed to playing. (Florida's) a good team too. Look at their last two games, and they've been playing their best basketball right now. They are one of the teams that is going finish the top half of the league. Obviously, (Colin) Castleton had quite a game. We would have liked to have done a better job on him. He's a really good player. I did think we did a good job taking away their threes for the most part. They hit that late one, but in the first half they didn't have one. So, if you're going to double, they do have shooters and they take a decent amount of threes, and we don't want to give up a bunch of threes. That's the way to get upset. Our game plan was not to double them when Charles was in there. We probably needed to double a little more when Charles was in there. But you know, other than our defense on Castleton, I thought our effort tonight was pretty good.

TEAM STATS​

• In addition to improving to 11-0, the Tide won its 10th conference game by double figures and owns a scoring margin +22.3
  • The Tide's defense has held all 11 league opponents to under 70 points
  • The Crimson Tide is 12-0 inside of Coleman Coliseum, with an average margin of victory of +25.9
  • UA has now won three straight matchups with the Gators with an average scoring margin of +18.7, UA's longest win streak against Florida since 1988-92
  • Brandon Miller led Alabama in scoring for the 13th time this season, while surpassing the 20-point benchmark for the ninth time
  • The freshman also led the Tide in rebounding for the 13th time this season
  • Charles Bediako swatted four shots on the night, leading UA to seven total blocks which is two shy of its season high (9 against Longwood and South Alabama)
  • The Tide shot 49 percent (36-73) from the field and held the Gators to just 34 percent (22-63)
  • Alabama made 15-34 (44 percent) from beyond the arc, while Florida made just 4-14 (28 percent)
  • UA's bench outscored Florida's 29-12, with Jahvon Quinerly leading the way

FIRST HALF​

• The Tide took a commanding 52-23 lead into the break, with a balanced offensive effort that included eight players getting in the scoring box with just Mark Sears (10) reaching double figures
  • Alabama came out of the gate hot, opening a 10-2 lead over the first 2:39 of play
  • The Tide extended its lead to 22-11 with 11:55 remaining, with Mark Sears and Jaden Bradley both contributing six points in the opening eight minutes
  • After Florida cut the lead to single digits, the Crimson Tide used an 12-0 run to take a 29-11 advantage halfway through the first twenty minutes
  • The Tide followed up with a 9-0 run over 1:08 of play, extending the total run to 23-4 over 6:46
  • Alabama's defense limited Florida to 23 percent (7-30) from the field, while UA shot 56 percent, including 9-17 from beyond the arc
  • The Tide made more three-pointers (9) than the Gators made shots from the field (7) in the period
  • Alabama's 52 first half points mrks the third time this season the Tide has scored over 50 in the opening stanza (Jan. 14 against LSU), (Nov. 18 against Jacksonville State)

SECOND HALF​

• Florida opened up the first 2:55 on an 11-5 run to cut UA's lead to 57-36
  • The Gators were able to cut the lead 17, 59-42, with just over 14 minutes left but could not get any closer the remainder of the half
  • Alabama responded with a 15-4 run and would go on to take its largest lead of the game, 92-62, with 3:08 remaining
  • Brandon Miller posted 15 second-half points to lead UA, while also grabbing a team-high five rebounds in the stanza
  • Alabama dished out nine second half assists, led by three from Jahvon Quinerly and a pair from Miller and Jaden Bradley
  • The Tide recorded five blocks in the period, with Charles Bediako and Nick Pringle both swatting a pair

Play like this in Lee County and it will be a beatdown. Play like we did in Norman and it will be a beatdown. Gotta know we're gonna get screwd on the foul calls going in, so there's that to add to the game, but we'll still gladly accept that Iron Bowl trophy at halftime.😁
All of that is true, except we get the trophy at the Tuscaloosa game.

The only issue I saw last night was the run UF made in the 2nd half and cut the lead to 17 I believe. Our defensive focus must be intense and focused for the entire game because sometimes shots do not fall but you can always play good defense. Nice win last night!

Two tough road games ahead with Auburn Saturday and UT next Wednesday night in Knoxville.

Aside from the Oklahoma game which is beginning to look like the proverbial "wall" that many Freshmen hit (3/5 of our team), I like the way we play on the road this year. I can't even say I would be happy with a split at this point. I really think this team can take both games.

Aside from the Oklahoma game which is beginning to look like the proverbial "wall" that many Freshmen hit (3/5 of our team),
Did you read this? Bama was eight games into the SEC schedule.

While it doesn't seem fair to call OU an anomaly—there has to be a better word—one thing is for certain.

358 teams playing an average of 25 games in the season gives us a little under 9000 college basketball games this season. There isn't another game like Bama's with OU due to the circumstances surrounding the meeting.

There's argument the team treated the trip like a deserved respite.

Hence, ODS.

While it doesn't seem fair to call OU an anomaly—there has to be a better word—one thing is for certain.

358 teams playing an average of 25 games in the season gives us a little under 9000 college basketball games this season. There isn't another game like Bama's with OU due to the circumstances surrounding the meeting.

Hence, ODS.
I'm slow. I read your post twice and still don't see where ODS came from.

Hence, ODS.
Wouldn't mean performance be a better metric than median performance?

I think Pringle may be able to defend bigs better than Bediako. He has a little more mass.

In this game what was up with Gurley? I never saw him in the game was this an injury or something else?

Dominant win now on to the next one. Can they put two back to back high energy dominant games? They need to take the same defensive energy they had in the first half down to the cow pasture. The barn is backed into a corner and they are going to play better at their place, They will feed of their crowd if Bama doesn't take them out of the game.
In this game what was up with Gurley? I never saw him in the game was this an injury or something else

Here’s the answer on Gurley

Back
Top Bottom