| MBB/WBB Alabama basketball officially hired Ryan Pannone as an assistant coach...

On another note, I understand Roy Rogers has interviewed.
250px-The_Roy_Rogers_Show_-_Strangers_%281954%29_1.jpg

On another note, I understand Roy Rogers has interviewed.
Duuuude

Fun fact, I was a scholly frosh at Shelton when Roy was a RS Senior at UA. We used to scrimmage UA in the preseason.

Me, a 6'8" power forward, often bodied up against him.

Thought I was doing fairly well against him when I grabbed a couple of boards, blocked one of his shots (lucky...lol), and nailed a couple of baby hooks over him.

He then on several consecutive exchanges proceeded to block 3 of my shots, and dunked on me twice 🤣. He even said once "Oh man, you're doing great, Rook. I'm finna get serious tho and you gone taste my nuts". And the next trip, I bit on his head fake and he straight up dunked on me and winked and grinned on the way back down the floor 😂

Thing about him was his exceptionally long arms for his frame coupled with his explosively quick hops. More like playing against somebody 7'2", easily.

I hope he gets the job here. He'll bring an immediate skill and toughness upgrade to our front court.

Great dude, great competitor.

Last edited:
As far as the other potential hire, I do not have an opinion yet.
I too have found it difficult to form an opinion on someone when I don't know who that someone is ... ;)

I hadn't heard of Claunch before the hire. From what I've researched, read, and heard it's a solid hire.

I mentioned Roy interviewing. While I don't know who, I do know Oats is interviewing coaches and we're not hearing a lot. With Roy's ties to Bama it would be pretty hard for him to talk with CNO about the job and others not know.

FWIW, Roy has been with Portland and their season ended yesterday.

I too have found it difficult to form an opinion on someone when I don't know who that someone is ... ;)

I hadn't heard of Claunch before the hire. From what I've researched, read, and heard it's a solid hire.

I mentioned Roy interviewing. While I don't know who, I do know Oats is interviewing coaches and we're not hearing a lot. With Roy's ties to Bama it would be pretty hard for him to talk with CNO about the job and others not know.

FWIW, Roy has been with Portland and their season ended yesterday.
Roy, I’m guessing, would take over Pett’s position as our instate recruiting guru! I would think Roy would be our defensive guy as well. Just throwing that out there since Roy has those instate ties and his reputation as a defensive guy back in his day.

Pannone being targeted per TideSports. Oats and Byrne were at the New Orleans game last night, which kind of made one wonder if an interview/offer was being made to someone. He has coached all over, and at different levels. Started out at Wallace State, has international experience, and NBA experience. Here's his wiki bio. FWIW, he has coached 3 former UA/Oats players in the past 2 years (Herb Jones, Kira Lewis, and John Petty).

Pannone is a co-owner of this site:

Gotta say, guys... 👀 at the length of his resume

Experience​

• Assistant CoachAssistant Coach
    New Orleans Pelicans · Full-timeNew Orleans Pelicans · Full-timeJul 2022 - Present · 10 mosJul 2022 - Present · 10 mosNew Orleans, Louisiana, United StatesNew Orleans, Louisiana, United States
      • Assistant Coach For The New Orleans PelicansAssistant Coach For The New Orleans Pelicans
  • Co-Creator/Co-OwnerCo-Creator/Co-Owner
    BasketballHQ.comBasketballHQ.comAug 2011 - Present · 11 yrs 9 mosAug 2011 - Present · 11 yrs 9 mosOldsmar, FloridaOldsmar, Florida
      • Basketball HQ is a comprehensive resource designed for basketball coaches and basketball players BY basketball coaches and basketball players. We have loads of basketball drills, plays, workouts, coaching tips, and more in an easy to digest format that includes HD video, diagrams, and step by step written instructions. Our current contributors include Dale Layer (Head Coach - Liberty University), Andy Hipsher (USF), Russ Willemsen (Tennessee Tech), Ryan Pannone (Foshan Lions - Chinese Basketball Association), Chris Capko (Georgia Southern), Tim Kaine (Florida Atlantic), Kyle Getter (Radford), Jason Eaker (Liberty), Norman De Silva (Foshan Lions - Chinese Basketball Association), Chris Kreider (Georgia Southern), Kevin Sutton (George Washington), Ben Thompson (UNC Pembroke), David Minaya (Overseas Pro), Martell Webster (Washington Wizards), Kyle Ohman (Professional Basketball Player), and Alton Clark.Basketball HQ is a comprehensive resource designed for basketball coaches and basketball players BY basketball coaches and basketball players. We have loads of basketball drills, plays, workouts, coaching tips, and more in an easy to digest format that includes HD video, diagrams, and step by step written instructions. Our current contributors include Dale Layer (Head Coach - Liberty University), Andy Hipsher (USF), Russ Willemsen (Tennessee Tech), Ryan Pannone (Foshan Lions - Chinese Basketball Association), Chris Capko (Georgia Southern), Tim Kaine (Florida Atlantic), Kyle Getter (Radford), Jason Eaker (Liberty), Norman De Silva (Foshan Lions - Chinese Basketball Association), Chris Kreider (Georgia Southern), Kevin Sutton (George Washington), Ben Thompson (UNC Pembroke), David Minaya (Overseas Pro), Martell Webster (Washington Wizards), Kyle Ohman (Professional Basketball Player), and Alton Clark.
  • Head CoachHead Coach
    Birmingham Squadron · Full-timeBirmingham Squadron · Full-timeJul 2021 - Sep 2022 · 1 yr 3 mosJul 2021 - Sep 2022 · 1 yr 3 mosBirmingham, Alabama, United StatesBirmingham, Alabama, United States
      • Head Coach of the New Orleans Pelicans G-League Team the Erie BayHawksHead Coach of the New Orleans Pelicans G-League Team the Erie BayHawks
  • Head CoachHead Coach
    Erie BayHawksErie BayHawksJul 2019 - Jun 2021 · 2 yrsJul 2019 - Jun 2021 · 2 yrsErie, PennsylvaniaErie, Pennsylvania
      • Head Coach of the New Orleans Pelicans G-League Team the Erie BayHawksHead Coach of the New Orleans Pelicans G-League Team the Erie BayHawks
    Hapoel Jerusalem basketball clubHapoel Jerusalem basketball clubJul 2018 - Jul 2019 · 1 yr 1 moJul 2018 - Jul 2019 · 1 yr 1 moJerusalem, IsraelJerusalem, Israel

• Player Development CoachPlayer Development Coach
    Pro Training CenterPro Training CenterMay 2005 - Jun 2019 · 14 yrs 2 mosMay 2005 - Jun 2019 · 14 yrs 2 mosClearwater, FloridaClearwater, Florida
      • I work as a consultant and player development coach to NBA players. I have worked with over 50 NBA Players, including 33 first round NBA Draft picks and 22 NBA Lottery picks.I work as a consultant and player development coach to NBA players. I have worked with over 50 NBA Players, including 33 first round NBA Draft picks and 22 NBA Lottery picks.
  • Head CoachHead Coach
    BC PrievidzaBC PrievidzaJul 2017 - Jul 2018 · 1 yr 1 moJul 2017 - Jul 2018 · 1 yr 1 moPrievidza, SlovakiaPrievidza, Slovakia

Hapoel Jerusalem basketball clubHapoel Jerusalem basketball clubJul 2016 - Jun 2017 · 1 yrJul 2016 - Jun 2017 · 1 yrJerusalem Area, IsraelJerusalem Area, Israel

• Assistant Basketball CoachAssistant Basketball Coach
    HEBEISEN White Wings HanauHEBEISEN White Wings HanauJul 2015 - Jul 2016 · 1 yr 1 moJul 2015 - Jul 2016 · 1 yr 1 moHanau, GermanyHanau, Germany

NBA D-League - Erie BayHawksNBA D-League - Erie BayHawksOct 2014 - Jul 2015 · 10 mosOct 2014 - Jul 2015 · 10 mosErie, Pennsylvania AreaErie, Pennsylvania Area

• Memphis Grizzlies NBA Summer League Assistant CoachMemphis Grizzlies NBA Summer League Assistant Coach
    Memphis GrizzliesMemphis GrizzliesJul 2013 · 1 moJul 2013 · 1 moLas Vegas, NevadaLas Vegas, Nevada
      • Assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, NV. I scouted opponents, personnel and assisted in daily practices.Assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, NV. I scouted opponents, personnel and assisted in daily practices.
  • Assistant Coach/Player Development CoachAssistant Coach/Player Development Coach
    Foshan Long Lions (Chinese Basketball Association)Foshan Long Lions (Chinese Basketball Association)Aug 2012 - May 2013 · 10 mosAug 2012 - May 2013 · 10 mosFoshan, ChinaFoshan, China

Wallace State Coummunity CollegeWallace State Coummunity CollegeJan 2012 - May 2012 · 5 mosJan 2012 - May 2012 · 5 mosHanceville, AlabamaHanceville, Alabama
      • Region XXII Champions, Alabama State Champions and were 1 of 16 JUCO teams in the country to qualify for the JUCO National Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas. Beat the #6 ranked team in the country Shelton State.Region XXII Champions, Alabama State Champions and were 1 of 16 JUCO teams in the country to qualify for the JUCO National Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas. Beat the #6 ranked team in the country Shelton State.
  • Head CoachHead Coach
    Oldsmar Christian SchoolOldsmar Christian SchoolJun 2006 - May 2011 · 5 yrsJun 2006 - May 2011 · 5 yrsOldsmar, FloridaOldsmar, Florida
      • Overall Record of 131-42 in 5 years - Head Coach of the only team in Pinellas, Pasco and Hillsborough counties the last twenty years to beat a top 25 team in the country. Beat (FL) Montverde Academy who was undefeated and ranked #16 in the country by USA Today in December 2008. Beat (FL) Arlington Country Day who was ranked #12 in the country in October 2010 by USA Today. Beat (GA) Norcross who was undefeated and ranked #20 in the country by USA Today in November 2010. Coached 20 seniors that signed basketball scholarships. Players went on to play at: N.C. State, Georgia, Duquesne, Liberty, Tennessee Tech, High Point, Florida Gulf Coast, North Florida, Georgia State, Stetson, Idaho State, New Jersey Tech, and Gardner-Webb.

Back
Top Bottom