| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Al la carte programming maybe closer than I thought.

planomateo

Youtube, Roku, Hulu, NetFlix, Amazon Prime are all taking huge chunks outta cable/satellite providers pocketbooks. This could mean good things for people wanting to get al la carte programming.

One explanation is that the cable giant is chasing young consumers who aren’t watching TV as much as past generations did. This chart illustrates the situation.

TV viewership is dropping across all age demographics, of course, as cord-cutting and cord-shaving pick up, and online video grows in popularity.

And younger people have always watched less TV than older groups — that’s why advertisers generally pay a premium to reach them.

But even with those caveats, you can see how steep the fall-off in viewership among younger groups has been. Some media executives publicly complain that the ratings declines are partially due to Nielsen’s inability to keep up with changing media consumption habits, especially viewing on mobile devices.

But privately, many media executives acknowledge the ominous trend is real.

Shalini Ramachandran and Rani Molla contributed to this post.

I work for Nielsen and they know all this as well. They have apps for mobile devices but getting users to sign up for the apps is not as easy as the traditional metering of TVs. Also, online watching is all on demand, not at a set time/date. Which makes collecting viewing data that much harder. Also, getting the online video services to work with Nielsen is kinda a hurdle. To top that all off, online video services are mostly ad free, so the usual purchasers of the collected data are not there.

I do think live broadcast days are numbered unless the cable/sat companies start offering the a la carte option. Just wait, once the cable/sat companies become the minority, the online services will then start doing ads.

I work for Nielsen and they know all this as well. They have apps for mobile devices but getting users to sign up for the apps is not as easy as the traditional metering of TVs. Also, online watching is all on demand, not at a set time/date. Which makes collecting viewing data that much harder. Also, getting the online video services to work with Nielsen is kinda a hurdle. To top that all off, online video services are mostly ad free, so the usual purchasers of the collected data are not there.

I do think live broadcast days are numbered unless the cable/sat companies start offering the a la carte option. Just wait, once the cable/sat companies become the minority, the online services will then start doing ads.
And sat/cable will move toward a more pay as you go/ pay for only what you want.

I'll never understand why I get Al-Jazeera.

Back
Top Bottom