| FTBL A look at Austin Armstrong

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Staff
He will coach inside linebackers for Bama. He played Linebacker at Huntingdon College in Montgomery (Ala.) for four years. He started his coaching career as an assistant with defensive linemen at Division II West Georgia in 2016. Armstrong helped former Saban assistant Billy Napier take Louisiana to a share of the Sun Belt West Division title in 2018. 2019 he coached with Kirby Smart as a defensive quality control coach. Bulldogs allowed 12.6 points per game that year. He came back to the Ragin’ Cajuns in 2020, helping it to a 10-1 season. Louisiana’s defense forced seven fumbles and had 16 interceptions; Armstrong has spent the last two years with Southern Miss’ “Nasty Bunch” defense. Apparently, he likes his players knocking people around in a mean fashion.
We got a good one here in my mind. Roll Tide!

He will coach inside linebackers for Bama. He played Linebacker at Huntingdon College in Montgomery (Ala.) for four years. He started his coaching career as an assistant with defensive linemen at Division II West Georgia in 2016. Armstrong helped former Saban assistant Billy Napier take Louisiana to a share of the Sun Belt West Division title in 2018. 2019 he coached with Kirby Smart as a defensive quality control coach. Bulldogs allowed 12.6 points per game that year. He came back to the Ragin’ Cajuns in 2020, helping it to a 10-1 season. Louisiana’s defense forced seven fumbles and had 16 interceptions; Armstrong has spent the last two years with Southern Miss’ “Nasty Bunch” defense. Apparently, he likes his players knocking people around in a mean fashion.

Love the breakdown, thanks for sharing. It's got me excited about having him on the staff.

The one thing I have wondered in the back of my mind. What if, Saban is grooming Armstrong as opposed to waiting on Pruitt and the NCAA crap to clear. Could it be Pruitt as an analyst, but Steele is there to tee it up for Armstrong? Kind of like what Steele did for Smart and what we had hoped would happen when Pruitt left and Tosh/Golding waiting to take over?

The one thing I have wondered in the back of my mind. What if, Saban is grooming Armstrong as opposed to waiting on Pruitt and the NCAA crap to clear. Could it be Pruitt as an analyst, but Steele is there to tee it up for Armstrong? Kind of like what Steele did for Smart and what we had hoped would happen when Pruitt left and Tosh/Golding waiting to take over?
If I was a betting man, that is exactly what is happening.

While I like all that, isn't that similar to what we saw from Golding, pre-Bama?

Back
Top Bottom