| FTBL 70th Anniversary of my becoming a Bama fan

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Was a Bama lean in the Harry Gilmer years, but officially signed the LOI on 01/01/1953 after the Orange Bowl. Similar to what Bama fans have been subjected to this past month with UGA being proclaimed the top team/program, I spent the month of December '52 hearing and reading how ''The Beast of the East" Syracuse was going to beat Bama. And yes, we had radio, newspapers, and magazines back then. Even TV. :D Inasmuch as that game was but the third Bama game ever televised, it was also the first Bama game I ever saw since I did not watch the first two. The first game I ever attended would be later that year on the TSIO.

You have seen a lot over the years. Some great Bama football games and a few not so great :). I can't recall not being a bama fan so I will just say somewhere around 8 I started understanding it enough so that would put me as a 50 year fan. Absolutely remember the bear years. Started really understanding and following in the 70's.

You have seen a lot over the years. Some great Bama football games and a few not so great :). I can't recall not being a bama fan so I will just say somewhere around 8 I started understanding it enough so that would put me as a 50 year fan. Absolutely remember the bear years. Started really understanding and following in the 70's.
Not many would have made it through my first five years, last three of which were the Whitworth years. Bama couldn't score, much less win. Was shut out seventeen times in those five years. And not with an aubie dad taking them to *1957 barn games attempting to get them to change. As mine did. Told him thanks but no thanks, that Bama was getting a new coach and would be good again.

@252BAMA
@mando

Damn you guys are old!!!!!!!!!

I went to first game...dad bought me a ticket and dropped me off at legion field...vs GT...
Before BEAR....so 56-57. Some where in there...

Got tied in with friend whose dad was bama fan...and booster....and got to many games in 60s....until 67 ( then ole uncle sam called)l..
After that was school and job and raising family in other places...

Congratulations to you guys...hope i make it as long as you..

@252BAMA
@mando

Damn you guys are old!!!!!!!!!
I will agree with on that! But the story you two can tell these younger about before Bama starter winning. @50+yeartidefan I was just starting following Bama football in '65. How I became a Bama fan. Someone asks me if I was a Bama fan or Auburn fan. I told them Bama fan! At the time I thought Auburn was in Ga. I'm 67 and about to turn 68 in Feb. I can say this Coach Bryant and Coach Saban has spoil us in winning championships! 6 NC non CB & CS, 6 for both CB&CS, This doesn't count the one CS won at L$U.

I will agree with on that! But the story you two can tell these younger about before Bama starter winning. @50+yeartidefan I was just starting following Bama football in '65. How I became a Bama fan. Someone asks me if I was a Bama fan or Auburn fan. I told them Bama fan! At the time I thought Auburn was in Ga. I'm 67 and about to turn 68 in Feb. I can say this Coach Bryant and Coach Saban has spoil us in winning championships! 6 NC non CB & CS, 6 for both CB&CS, This doesn't count the one CS won at L$U.
And Stallings. His teams and playing D and running the ball....with game managers at QB....

Get this...
Hurts
Tua
BY...
Jones
2 NCs amonst them....only one started and finished and won a NC game

McElroy
AJ
Coker
None a nfl star....and 4 NCs

I spent the month of December '52 hearing and reading how ''The Beast of the East" Syracuse was going to beat Bama. And yes, we had radio, newspapers, and magazines back then. Even TV. :D Inasmuch as that game was but the third Bama game ever televised, it was also the first Bama game I ever saw since I did not watch the first two. The first game I ever attended would be later that year on the TSIO.
The first one I ever saw from the stands was on 10/11/1952 (Bama 33 VPI 0); but I remember watching that Orange Bowl game while sitting on the rug in my grandmother's den. Syracuse scored first, and I feared the dam was about to break. It did. Different dam. Bama 61 Syracuse 6.

Not many would have made it through my first five years, last three of which were the Whitworth years. Bama couldn't score, much less win. Was shut out seventeen times in those five years. And not with an aubie dad taking them to *1957 barn games attempting to get them to change. As mine did. Told him thanks but no thanks, that Bama was getting a new coach and would be good again.
What a story. Overcoming a barner Dad would have been hard for sure.... In my town growing up and mostly remembering the 70's, not to many Barn fans would admit it. They basically remained in the shadows so to speak. Bear had put them in their place by then so there was not a lot of crowing and the decade of the 70's continued that trend.

My first Bama hero was Musso - #22.... I vagually remember the 69 game with the shootout with Hunter/Manning in prime time. Bryant was not happy giving up so many points and yards (over 500). Sound familiar?

I also recall those gut punching losses to Notre Dame in the 70's which is why the 2012 NC game was so special and still my favorite under CNS.

Last edited:
What a story. Overcoming a barner Dad would have been hard for sure.... In my town growing up and mostly remembering the 70's, not to many Barn fans would admit it. They basically remained in the shadows so to speak. Bear had put them in their place by then so there was not a lot of crowing and the decade of the 70's continued that trend.

My first Bama hero was Musso - #22.... I vagually remember the 69 game with the shootout with Hunter/Manning in prime time. Bryant was not happy giving up so many points and yards (over 500). Sound familiar?

I also recall those gut punching losses to Notre Dame inthe 70's which is why the 2012 NC game was so special and still my favorite under CNS.
Me too! I and my cousin watch the whole game. That first ND game was in the Old Tulane Stadium. We miss or I should say my wife missed a New Year party. I care less about the party.

Me too! I and my cousin watch the whole game. That first ND game was in the Old Tulane Stadium. We miss or I should say my wife missed a New Year party. I care less about the party.
Yeah I remember all 4 lossess from 73 to 80 before Bama beat them in 1986.

12-31-1973: Notre Dame 24, Alabama 23 – Sugar Bowl
1-1-1975: Notre Dame 13, Alabama 11 – Orange Bowl
11-13-1976: Notre Dame 21, Alabama 18 – South Bend
11-15-1980: Notre Dame 7, Alabama 0 – Tuscaloosa

All heartbreaking. 2012 exorcised maaaany of those demons.

Yeah I remember all 4 lossess from 73 to 80 before Bama beat them in 1986.

12-31-1973: Notre Dame 24, Alabama 23 – Sugar Bowl
1-1-1975: Notre Dame 13, Alabama 11 – Orange Bowl
11-13-1976: Notre Dame 21, Alabama 18 – South Bend
11-15-1980: Notre Dame 7, Alabama 0 – Tuscaloosa

All heartbreaking. 2012 exorcised maaaany of those demons.
I do two I watched the first three games. But I was At Fort Irwin, California during training. Didn't find out the score till Sunday morning when I found a paper. The same way I found out that John Lennon had died. Didn't buy the paper both of these were on the header of the paper.

My congratulations to you all for your longevity and good life choices. I'm 57, and my first game was the 1976 SMU game at Legion Field, 56-3, 50-yard line, a few rows below Mrs. Bryant. Went with a classmate whose dad worked for Alabama Power, I had no idea how good the seats were. The cheerleaders came through the crowd pregame handing out shakers. I kept that wooden and paper shaker for years, may still have it tucked away somewhere.

Roll Tide, gentlemen. A win sure puts a bit of a salve on a disappointing year.

Speaking of life choices, we observed our 60th wedding anniversary last week and still have hopes of working things out.
Incredible...60 years..... awesome
And as me and ms50+ ...who are newly weds compared to you ....just at 52 years...
It isnt always easy...wasnt always easy....but damn rewarding...heck of a commitment

Am at 49 right now, not till June 4th will be our 50th.

Back
Top Bottom