| OT 3 nights in Big Bend National Park

planomateo

Just got a roof top tent and wanted to give it a quick test at Big Bend National Park. My first time at the park and will definitely be back soon, lots of todo's on the list including some of the big hikes (20 hour+ round trips). Took us about 10 hours to get to Big Bend from our house with 5-6 stops (groceries, gas, shopping).

Very limited cell phone reception around the park, free wifi in 2-3 areas, there is public shower near Rio Grande Village ($2 in quarters for 5 mins to get mostly cold water).

Due to camp spots being first come first serve (very few can be reserved), we ended up spending the night outside the park (near Terlingua) the first night then getting a spot in Rio Grande Village for the next 2 nights. There are 3 different campgrounds, (Rio Grande Village, Cottonwood and Chisos Basin) and a bunch of primitive remote camping sites that require some off-roading to access. You don't need a 4wd vehicle, but it certainly helps in some spots.

Setting up the roof top tent is easy, takes about 5 mins or so (notice the script A beanie). I'm 6'4" so that will give you an idea of how tall the tent is..

i-FK39vVz-X3.jpg

Tent is ready
i-WXRxnsV-X3.jpg

There is an abandoned mercury mine off the beaten path, about 30 miles of off-road travel required (easy trails).

i-3K9Wp8C-X3.jpg

i-FzpKL9J-X3.jpg

An old car with the mine in the background.

i-P7BPQ5G-X3.jpg

The mine
i-bwwXDQk-X3.jpg

Near Rio Grande Village is the border (Rio Grande is the natural border between the US and Mexico), there are a few cool things to see. Border town just across the river Boquillas, Hot Springs (literally on the side of the Rio Grande River).

View of the Rio Grande.
i-gBTtsjb-X3.jpg

These were all over the place, easily had 3" spikes on them.
i-CzHLW7f-X3.jpg

i-NwmJbr3-X3.jpg

The Window from up near Chisos Lodge. We didn't have time to hike down to the Window, definitely will next time we're here.

i-t9jPCtG-X3.jpg

Overall, really cool trip. If you enjoy getting outdoors, I would recommend this.

Outstanding trip report and pics. My best friend and I have done a ton of backpacking, still do a little, but his son lives in Vegas now (from Northport) and is big in the overlanding scene.

He has a website that's pretty good. Home

Outstanding trip report and pics. My best friend and I have done a ton of backpacking, still do a little, but his son lives in Vegas now (from Northport) and is big in the overlanding scene.

He has a website that's pretty good. Home

Bad ass! I'm going to be moving the tent to an old army trailer (model m416) soon, so I can tow it into spots and leave it setup.

Thanks @planomateo for that info on your trip. Great pictures too. I've never seen a roof top tent before is that an original idea? I've had some of my former scouts do several trails in Big Bend and they loved it. On my "to do" list.

Back
Top Bottom