| FTBL 25 and 40 second play clocks

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Does anyone understand how this works? Is there any rhyme or reason for one or the other? To me it is just another stupid and confusing thing the NCAA has done. The NCSU coach is correct. NCAA means No Clue At All.

40 second play clock basically starts at the point a play is whistled dead. You have 40 seconds to line up and snap the ball for the next play. 25 second clock is used in lieu of the 40 second clock on any administrative stoppage of the clock such as a change of possession or coming back from a TV time out or from the review booth or penalty.

40 second play clock basically starts at the point a play is whistled dead. You have 40 seconds to line up and snap the ball for the next play. 25 second clock is used in lieu of the 40 second clock on any administrative stoppage of the clock such as a change of possession or coming back from a TV time out or from the review booth or penalty.
1640964590160.png

Thanks. So when the ref runs in and prevents the ball from being snapped because of substitutions, should that not be considered administrative stoppage? I have seen instances where the play clock was near zero before the team was allowed to snap the ball. IMO, when the ref runs in the team should get a new 25 second clock.

Thanks. So when the ref runs in and prevents the ball from being snapped because of substitutions, should that not be considered administrative stoppage? I have seen instances where the play clock was near zero before the team was allowed to snap the ball. IMO, when the ref runs in the team should get a new 25 second clock.

No, that's whole part of trying to make things fair for the defense. The point is to keep offenses from running a guy on right before the snap and not giving the defense a chance to react.

Does anyone understand how this works? Is there any rhyme or reason for one or the other? To me it is just another stupid and confusing thing the NCAA has done. The NCSU coach is correct. NCAA means No Clue At All.
Here's one for you to chew on.

Have you ever thought about the difference in the 30 second time out and a team getting their full 90 seconds?

No, that's whole part of trying to make things fair for the defense. The point is to keep offenses from running a guy on right before the snap and not giving the defense a chance to react.
And a new 25 second clock would give the defense a chance to react.
Here's one for you to chew on.

Have you ever thought about the difference in the 30 second time out and a team getting their full 90 seconds?
Nope. Tell me.

Back
Top Bottom